Raith Rovers vs Ayr United, 22 Dec

Brown at CB became a victim of its own success. He played there because we had a number of injured defenders, yet we got results despite that. Brown then had to miss a game, but was reinstated at CB after O'Reilly had a nightmare against Partick. The limitations were however shown last night. 

I think we also need to rethink the formation. There is no question that it has won us many points, but anyone watching last night's game has been given the blueprint on countering it. You have to hand that to Lee Bullen, even if he is a total clown for subbing the players that were destroying us. We cannot defend against pace at all. Granted this is difficult to do, but having an extra DM on the pitch would've shut down the space a bit more. There were individual performances that weren't good, but it was the sum of the parts that let us down. 

Edited by Michael W

I don’t understand how anyone can dispute that red card btw. His studs are up and he catches Easton above the knee, stonewaller any day of the week.

Penalty is a tough one, for me it’s on the line of the box, which is a penalty but it’s very, very close.

From a Rovers point of view that felt like a game where all our worst habits aligned into one performance. The formation that falls apart when the press is beaten, the defenders who back off, and off. The keeper with the mistake in him.

It's a miracle we didnt lose last night, and probably should have, despite three very well worked goals.

Plenty for Murray to mull over.

There’s a lot being said about the negatives (of which there were many from a Rovers point of view) so while the defence rightly get pummelled, I just want to take a minute to appreciate at least one contribution from a defender.
The cross from Millen for the second goal was fantastic.   

Two crucial things for me moving forward;

1- how serious is Stanton’s injury?

2- how do we react to that defensive shambles next week in terms of formation and personnel?

Hoping for positive news on both. 

Very noticeable was that with both the penalty equaliser and the fourth goal equaliser, there wasn't much celebration from the players. Just an urge to try and get another goal. Both times ball grabbed out of the net and hurriedly placed back on the centre spot. Just a tremendous desire to try to get a victory despite things not being the best on the night.👏👏👏

Red card knee high with the studs on his shin pad potential leg breaker defo red for me 

As for the Rovers well below the standard they have set not a single player has pass marks apart from Vaughan, Defensively a shambles  , Eastons mind was still in Dundee one week later no where near it sadly, What’s disappointing 3 of the goals were horrendous to lose running through the middle unchallenged and scoring outside the box come on guys brutal ! Logan chambers brilliant finish  so couldn’t do much about that , Ayr impressed with pace up the flanks and looked dangerous on most attacks . 
Think people have to be realistic here Ayr are 5th in the league which I didn’t realise so a point isn’t bad considering how terrible we were nothing lost in terms of points at the top , Dundee United could be classed as a terrible result 0-0 against bottom side queens and apparently were booed off the park , 

2 minutes ago, basher brash said:

Red card knee high with the studs on his shin pad potential leg breaker defo red for me 

As for the Rovers well below the standard they have set not a single player has pass marks apart from Vaughan, Defensively a shambles  , Eastons mind was still in Dundee one week later no where near it sadly, What’s disappointing 3 of the goals were horrendous to lose running through the middle unchallenged and scoring outside the box come on guys brutal ! Logan chambers brilliant finish  so couldn’t do much about that , Ayr impressed with pace up the flanks and looked dangerous on most attacks . 
Think people have to be realistic here Ayr are 5th in the league which I didn’t realise so a point isn’t bad considering how terrible we were nothing lost in terms of points at the top , Dundee United could be classed as a terrible result 0-0 against bottom side queens and apparently were booed off the park , 

It’s not a leg breaker. I’m not even sure he catches him with his studs. His foot is high and he definitely catches him but besides a bruise, Easton isn’t coming off too badly from that. I think the immediate reaction of the Raith players is well over the top and a red is harsh. 

13 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

It’s not a leg breaker. I’m not even sure he catches him with his studs. His foot is high and he definitely catches him but besides a bruise, Easton isn’t coming off too badly from that. I think the immediate reaction of the Raith players is well over the top and a red is harsh. 

Yeah, there’s nothing about it that’s a leg breaker. 

Im not even sure there is enough contact for a bruise. It appears the side of his foot makes a small bit of contact. 

44 minutes ago, embow said:

Very noticeable was that with both the penalty equaliser and the fourth goal equaliser, there wasn't much celebration from the players. Just an urge to try and get another goal. Both times ball grabbed out of the net and hurriedly placed back on the centre spot. Just a tremendous desire to try to get a victory despite things not being the best on the night.👏👏👏

Isn’t that just normal behaviour when a team equalises against 10 men?

Felt last night that there was a nervousness about the team and the fans. The atmosphere was very flat until the 3rd goal.

Couldn't believe the negativity from some of the fans last night. There was an old guy behind me going mental that we were playing from the back and passing it about  He just wanted the ball straight up the pitch. 

The booing was ridiculous towards the team, it doesn't help getting on the players backs. Especially when Kev made his clanger. He is still a young player but he has saved us on multiple occasions, including last night when he ran out the box to clear at the feet of the striker. 

The defending was woeful last night, couldn't believe how easily they were able to run right through us. But thats not just on the defence, the midfield just stood off.Really need Brown back into midfield and 2 proper CBs on the pitch.

We missed Sam when he went off and I felt that Easton wasn't moving the same after that tackle.

Hopefully this is just a blip but we are still unbeaten in 11, top of the league and 5 points clear. The players have been outstanding this season so deserve to be let off for last night, let them rest,recuperate and move on to Arbroath. And LETS GET RIGHT BEHIND THE ROVERS!

42 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

There was a bad tackle on Easton a few minutes earlier which was a booking every day of the week and the ref did nothing. If he'd booked the Ayr player at that point, I suspect the game might not have boiled over and the red card might have been avoided.

4 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

There was a bad tackle on Easton a few minutes earlier which was a booking every day of the week and the ref did nothing. If he'd booked the Ayr player at that point, I suspect the game might not have boiled over and the red card might have been avoided.

This is the main issue with referees at this level. They cannot read the game and think about how their decisions can affect the tone. I’ve been at more games this season where a referee has completely lost control of it than I’ve seen in previous seasons. 

8 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

This is the main issue with referees at this level. They cannot read the game and think about how their decisions can affect the tone. I’ve been at more games this season where a referee has completely lost control of it than I’ve seen in previous seasons. 

The problem can really be summed up in two words: Craig Napier. 

I am also of the view the red card wouldn't have happened if the referee had correctly dealt with the foul on Easton two minutes earlier. Missing an obvious yelllow/potential red does tend to piss players off and they'll be right in your face next time something happens. Not saying the first one should have been a red, but I have seen players off for the same. It was certainly nothing less than a yellow card. 

11 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I couldn't agree more. The worrying thing is that Napier is often assigned Premiership games, therefore must be deemed by the powers that be to be one of the better refs, whereas I thought he was appalling for both teams last night. When Hamilton went down in the box in the first half it was either a penalty or a free kick to Ayr and a booking for simulation. No idea how he can give a corner and nothing else, then allow Hamilton to chirp at him for that length of time without booking him.

1 hour ago, basher brash said:

Well apart from Murray not standing off him away off to the side giving Chalmers all the time and space in the world to just pick his spot.  It was a good finish but we made it easy for him.  

Edited by SanStarko