Gen Z “suffering menu anxiety at restaurants”

ICTChris

@BFTD

neurodivergent

My nephew must be similar to your son, he had some funny eating habits, still has. I would watch the strange things sometimes if we were all eating together and wonder what he was doing but what I didn't know was that he was also watching me and then one day he asked me if there was anything I would not eat. It was the way he said it, like he was confused. It was funny, he is funny.

He is 18 now and he is starting to try different stuff a little at a time. Before, for an example, if he wanted chicken it had to be cooked and left on a plate on its own and it was his chicken and that was that or he would not touch it.

Doesn't matter, it's only food. I am happy with the way he is. He is a good guy.

3 hours ago, GHF-23 said:

I feel for them that they'll never know the joy of putting all the last bits of your roast dinner into a Yorkshire pudding and eating that up together 

When I lived in England they used to make “bubble and squeak” the day after a roast. 
The Gen Z weans would “bubble and cry” if you served up such a meal. 

There’s a guy at my work who’s “gluten intolerant” but doesn’t understand gluten so makes ordering an arseache. Rice? Can’t have that because of the gluten. Nor Nachos. Fine with a beer or six though. Because that doesn’t have much though. He’s probably gen z but I don’t know the gen rules. Younger than me and I’m an “x”.

32 minutes ago, coprolite said:

There’s a guy at my work who’s “gluten intolerant” but doesn’t understand gluten so makes ordering an arseache. Rice? Can’t have that because of the gluten. Nor Nachos. Fine with a beer or six though. Because that doesn’t have much though. He’s probably gen z but I don’t know the gen rules. Younger than me and I’m an “x”.

Imagine being gluten intolerant in this day and age.

It's the 21st century. Grow up.

4 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

If I'm at a 'generalist' restaurant - diner or some such - and nothing jumps out at me, I'll usually go for the Mexican dishes as huge chance that's who's comprising the kitchen team in Chicago so you'd hope those should be decent. Work out which nationality's most overrepresented in Torontonian kitchens. 

ETA - this did bite me in the arse once when I ordered chilaquiles at a diner and was given a weird sort of loaf of American cheese and sadness. The tomatillo sauce - which you only got a thimbleful of - was great and suggested the kitchen knew what they were doing but that it was a management decision to have them send out a plateful of depression. 

Yah good point,  Here in Ottawa it's definitely the Lebanese community that runs and works in most of the restaurants so that's a good standby

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

My son has an allergy to some protein or other that’s in cows milk. You don’t really get “dairy free” here so we are in the habit of asking for vegan options when we go anywhere with him. He doesn’t quite understand the concept either. It’s quite funny when he eats a hamburger and tells people he’s okay to eat beef because it’s vegan.

Then again, he is 3 and a half.

9 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Imagine being gluten intolerant in this day and age.

It's the 21st century. Grow up.

I wouldn't fight him M8, he's probably had his Weetabix.

You keep your bouts to veggies and vegan weight.

Edited by SlipperyP