If your club went bust, who would you support instead?

scottsdad

12 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I was a Meadowbank Thistle fan. As far as I am concerned they died in May 1995. So I followed a pal to Edinburgh City. 

Out of interest was there much furore when they became Livingston? What sort of crows had they before this point? I was quite young at the time and wasn't a follower of Scottish football as wasn't living here I think when it happened.

Edited by gannonball

On 20/12/2023 at 18:25, Marten said:

In Scotland I started watching random games when I moved here. I wasn't really planning to pick one team but I eventually got drawn to my local side, Lochee United. Should Lochee United go bust, I'd just go back to random games. Whether or not I end up sticking with one team in particular, time will tell.

In The Netherlands I grew up with Excelsior Rotterdam. Like various Dutch clubs, we also have a non-league side that is separate from the club, playing in the 10th tier. A bankruptcy for Excelsior wouldn't affect the non-league side, so I'd simply support them. In terms of professional football, I wouldn't pick a new favourite. 

I like the idea of Lochee United as a second choice if Dundee disappeared. However, I did meet some bloke wearing a Lochee United jacket by Dens once and his breath stank so maybe not...

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Out of interest was there much furore when they became Livingston? What sort of crows had they before this point? I was quite young at the time and wasn't a follower of Scottish football as wasn't living here I think when it happened.

There was amongst the fans. Not so much amongst the media who didn't give two hoots (apart from, funnily enough, Graeme Spiers) and as far as they were concerned Meadowbank Thistle could FOAD. 

This was just pre-internet so it was hard to get the fans' views across and Blobby Hunter had pals in the media. Not much has changed in 30 years to be honest so I take a mostly cynical view of Scottish football. 

On 21/12/2023 at 05:58, Derry Alli said:

I'd just pick a player and follow them wherever they go, like Rie with Nish.

Wonder if she still does that after the recent news about him being a dick. 

Edit - 

Christ, a couple of wild posts from Rie there. 

Edited by HoBNob

22 hours ago, tamthebam said:

There was amongst the fans. Not so much amongst the media who didn't give two hoots (apart from, funnily enough, Graeme Spiers) and as far as they were concerned Meadowbank Thistle could FOAD. 

This was just pre-internet so it was hard to get the fans' views across and Blobby Hunter had pals in the media. Not much has changed in 30 years to be honest so I take a mostly cynical view of Scottish football. 

When Saturday Comes had a few good articles about it. Same for when Inverness Caley and Thistle were being killed.

But aye, the press generally just print whatever shite they're being told by the murderers.

3 hours ago, gannonball said:

Da fuq did I just read. Has the lowland league forum gone all Moonhowler Juniors these days?

The poster Rie is from Japan, rather than supporting a club she supports Colin Nish. I only became aware when Dunfermline shared a league with Cowdenbeath and he was the gaffer, was pretty wild. 

A few months back Colin Nish was accused of domestic abuse which Rie evidently didn't beleive. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/ex-hibs-star-colin-nish-31029646.amp

Was wrong.