If your club went bust, who would you support instead?

scottsdad

29 minutes ago, Chris Partlow said:

One of, if not the greatest sig on this website.

It was someone on here who said it. Possibly a *** aimed at a Celtic fan. I was belly laughing at it for about 10 minutes if I remember.

Maybe give Sauchie Juniors a whirl? They've got a nice wee ground, and most folk seem to have a soft spot for them.

Bemused by the idea of clubs disappearing with no chance of return, though - even Third Lanark have regular unsuccessful retro revivals. Accrington Stanley are no longer the punchline for Scouse milk-guzzlers. Are we envisioning a future where, say, Clyde are classed as a hate group or even terrorists by an authoritarian government, because I could be persuaded in all honesty.

Aberdeen are the side I grew up watching, but living in West Fife I go to see The Pars play more often now, so for the benefit of this thread I will assume both have gone.

I would probably go and watch local non-league games; Oakley, Rosyth, Burntisland, etc. I won’t be going to Central Park though as I understand that the Blue Brazil voted in favour of the B teams.

In my younger days I would probably have travelled around to top flight games or even popped down to see The Toon play, but the days of turning up on the day and paying at the turnstiles for those games are long gone and no longer affordable.

Edited by Dunfermline Don

5 hours ago, Marten said:

In Scotland I started watching random games when I moved here. I wasn't really planning to pick one team but I eventually got drawn to my local side, Lochee United. Should Lochee United go bust, I'd just go back to random games. Whether or not I end up sticking with one team in particular, time will tell.

In The Netherlands I grew up with Excelsior Rotterdam. Like various Dutch clubs, we also have a non-league side that is separate from the club, playing in the 10th tier. A bankruptcy for Excelsior wouldn't affect the non-league side, so I'd simply support them. In terms of professional football, I wouldn't pick a new favourite. 

I grew up a Scotland fan as my dad never had a club side.  I eventually chose Dundee United for various reasons (they had still never won a trophy when I started following them). 

I would probably just follow Scotland. As I do so now and maybe become a football tourist by picking random matches as I love travelling.

I used to watch Lochee United back in the day (not seen them for years) so maybe take more of an intrest in them...minus the Lochee Fleet gang jumper this time.

But to be honest. If no Dundee United, I could just as easily drift away from football all together.

15 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Simple scenario. 

Your club has vanished overnight. Done a Third Lanark. There is no Airdrie-style coming back from the dead. There is no new team taking on your clubs heritage like Livi/Meadowbank. The club is gone, dead, buried. The council have bulldozed the stadium. 

You're still a football fan...so who would you go and watch/support instead? First day of the new season - what stand are you in?

Interesting omission from the examples list. Big team found.

In answer to your question though, I would cross the divide to Dens. 

Edited by Alert Mongoose

14 hours ago, Marten said:

In Scotland I started watching random games when I moved here. I wasn't really planning to pick one team but I eventually got drawn to my local side, Lochee United. Should Lochee United go bust, I'd just go back to random games. Whether or not I end up sticking with one team in particular, time will tell.

In The Netherlands I grew up with Excelsior Rotterdam. Like various Dutch clubs, we also have a non-league side that is separate from the club, playing in the 10th tier. A bankruptcy for Excelsior wouldn't affect the non-league side, so I'd simply support them. In terms of professional football, I wouldn't pick a new favourite. 

When I first moved to The Netherlands in 2001 I was living in Haarlem and would regularly go and watch HFC Haarlem, even when I eventually moved to Amsterdam I'd go through on a Friday night to see them, they went bust in 2010, interestingly their last game in paid football was a 3-0 away defeat against....yup you guessed it Excelsior.

Edited by stevieKTID