If your club went bust, who would you support instead?

scottsdad

Simple scenario. 

Your club has vanished overnight. Done a Third Lanark. There is no Airdrie-style coming back from the dead. There is no new team taking on your clubs heritage like Livi/Meadowbank. The club is gone, dead, buried. The council have bulldozed the stadium. 

You're still a football fan...so who would you go and watch/support instead? First day of the new season - what stand are you in?

Not sure I could pick another one tbh. As awful as it can be following a wee diddy team, it's kind of in my blood even though I don't live in the town anymore.  As my daughter plays football, maybe make the switch to following the women's game with her. I assume Accies WFC are no longer in your scenario, so maybe Glasgow City (as the ugly sisters are as much out of the question as the are in the men's game)

If that didn't fill the void, maybe a switch to a local junior team but doubt I could form the same bond with a random club. Worry would be, that without Accies, I'd probably discover there are better things to do on a Saturday and just drift away from football (other than the national teams obvs!)

If I'm still in the North East if that happens then probably Arbroath as I've always had a soft spot and their pies are incredible.

If I'm back down the road I'd make the switch to QP, mainly as I used to go to their games when they were knocking about Div3 and I've got good mates who are fans.

We're going nowhere though. Far too massive to fail.

I really like Rangers but I am not sure if they will win the league this year so possibly Celtic (will wait for the game on the 30th December)  I am really lucky as I also support Real Madrid and Bayer Munich and have a softspot for Manchester City*

* whilst this is of course complete bollocks I genuinely believe there are people who support the aforementioned teams (at the same time)

17 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

See signature text, minus the first name. In Scottish senior football, for reasons unknown, I like Hibs and Aberdeen, but I couldn’t suddenly support them.

I like Hibs, too, and Dundee, but can't see me supporting them either.

9 minutes ago, CityDave94 said:

I'd go to random games every now and then but not support a team.

That's basically what I do at the moment. I grew up supporting Hearts until I moved away from Scotland for work. When I came back I never re-connected with Hearts. So I now go to Scotland games and just random games if I fancy them. It's not too bad. 

Edited by 2426255

Just now, Miguel Sanchez said:

Fans like you are not missed from the game. You won't be happy til there are leprechauns dancing at half time and the food stands are selling bobby sands pizza which when you open the shit smeared box is empty.

I irl (in real life) lol’d (laughed out loud) at this.

4 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Fans like you are not missed from the game. You won't be happy til there are leprechauns dancing at half time and the food stands are selling bobby sands pizza which when you open the shit smeared box is empty.

One of, if not the greatest sig on this website.

In Scotland I started watching random games when I moved here. I wasn't really planning to pick one team but I eventually got drawn to my local side, Lochee United. Should Lochee United go bust, I'd just go back to random games. Whether or not I end up sticking with one team in particular, time will tell.

In The Netherlands I grew up with Excelsior Rotterdam. Like various Dutch clubs, we also have a non-league side that is separate from the club, playing in the 10th tier. A bankruptcy for Excelsior wouldn't affect the non-league side, so I'd simply support them. In terms of professional football, I wouldn't pick a new favourite.