St Mirren v Killie

Loved that last night. One of my favourite away days in a long time. 

Train up before it with my wee boy and nephew, ended up in The Last Post as the Bull turned the kids away. 

Was telling the boys (they're 10 and 12) about the Wetherspoons game, so minutes later we had family members sending them drinks and mince pies from afar, much to their amusement 🤣

Met up with two old friends and made our way round. Got in nice and early, you could tell the away end was going to be lively. Days after Christmas when most folk are still off and full of drink. Atmosphere was superb from first minute to the last.

Liked the look of the team when I saw it. Couldn't see Kennedy not starting, might have felt Polworth was unlucky to make way but its a nice problem to have. 

Thought we made a slow start and was worried about the amount of time the ball was spending in our half and our box.

This is where having a really solid and settled defence helps. Deas and Findlay have that understanding that him and Broadfoot had in the past. Dennis knows the 4 guys in front of him and what they're going to do. Findlay shielded a ball from an attacker so Dennis could collect- it had me worried, but his keeper clearly appreciated it. 

Grew in to it and although our thing now is keeping it tight, not conceding, nicking a goal, I think in certain matches and certain spells of matches we play some really nice football. 

Armstrong skinning 2 guys then taking another 2 out with the pass across the box that Kennedy nearly gets a flick to. The goal itself which is a really lovely team goal. Kennedy and Lyons both looked on it last night. 

Turner maybe lucky to stay on the park after Armstrong done him up like a kipper. Thought it was red at the time but clearly watching it back, Gogic would have got there. Don't think the defender knew that and think he was intent on taking him out and denying a good chance.

As McInnes said, I was never too worried we would concede - maybe just the ball in to the back post, great save from the keeper. 

End of the game was superb. Your striker and captain back making tackles in his own defensive channel. Songs about Europe after the final whistle. 

A bit early for that for me but it had the two boys dreaming as they came away. Begging me to take them to Europe if we get there, and to Ibrox on the 2nd.

As I said, a superb away day that will live long in the memory - will be talking about that one in years to come like the Wright hat trick and the Ben Gordon last game one. 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

St Mirrens best season in decades and stlll 4 points behind a killie side that couldn't buy a result on the road until the last month.

Shows how good St Mirren were in the early part of the season, how shite we’ve been in the middle part of the season, how shite Killie were while we were being good, and how good Killie have been while we’ve been busy being shite.

I’ve nailed this. Move over McFadden & Stewart, I’m on Sportscene next week to report on Aberdeen’s easy 2-0 or 3-0 win over the best St Mirren side in decades.

Enjoyed that performance last night.

It's not all about playing nice fancy football, quite often it is about defending well, digging in deep and stopping the opposition create chances, all of which we did very well last night. 

Mayo, Deas, Findlay and Ndaba were all superb (i'd love to get the latter 2 signed up permanently) and the keeper had another good game, including a couple of decent saves late on.  

McInnes has managed to get the defence playing well as a unit and it's no coincidence we have started getting better results as a consequence.  4 away games without conceding a goal for the first time since 2000 I think he said last night. Hopefully this time next week it will be 5 😄

Big worry for me is Deas is soon to miss a game through suspension and Wright will have to come in, and I think we lose more goals when he plays.  Hopefully just for 1 game as Deas deserves his place. 

We could do with scoring more goals to make it a bit less nervous the longer the game goes on, but I didn't think St Mirren would score last night.   What has happened to Mark O'Hara?  Looks a shadow of the player he's been the last few seasons. 

Anyway, having lived less than 2 miles from Paisley for over 60 years and suffered at school in Paisley during the Fergie years, this is my favourite 'away' day and beating St Mirren means much more to me than beating Ayr.  

KTID

11 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Laughing at that "clear foul" on Tanser being him trying to grab back Armstrong then Armstrong falling on top of him when he lets go.

Having seen it back there was nothing in it. Tanser should have taken one for the team and brought Armstrong down. 

Fair play to Killie for grabbing the goal. 

Great support last night. It was a tight game with fine margins. You guys wanted it more and looked the side with confidence. 

3 hours ago, paul wright scores said:

4 away games without conceding a goal for the first time since 2000 I think he said last night. Hopefully this time next week it will be 5 😄

I believe it's the first time Killie have ever achieved that in the league (2000 was only a 3 game streak).

But as you say hopefully the run will be extended 🤞

4 hours ago, Lurkst said:

I believe it's the first time Killie have ever achieved that in the league (2000 was only a 3 game streak).

But as you say hopefully the run will be extended 🤞

It's the first time in the top flight. We kept four in a row in our first four away games in the Championship a couple of years ago - that run was actually five games when you include the 2-0 win over Accies on the final day of our relegation season.

Edited by craigkillie

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

It's the first time in the top flight. We kept four in a row in our first four away games in the Championship a couple of years ago - the run is actually five games when you include the 2-0 win over Accies on the final day of our relegation season.

Ah right cheers 👍

I'd heard the stat last night about three consecutive away clean sheets in 2000, so just worked back through the seasons from there.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

It's the first time in the top flight. We kept four in a row in our first four away games in the Championship a couple of years ago - that run was actually five games when you include the 2-0 win over Accies on the final day of our relegation season.

I must have misheard whilst driving back home. 

7 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Forgot to say. Superb support through from Killie, apart from the pyro-throwing fannies. Not the only support to have them of course. Still, great away support.

Agreed. Some fans suffer from respiratory issues and these pyros can play havoc with the lungs. There are safety concerns that some of these pyros could be carcinogenic.