Clyde -vs- Stenhousemuir (Saturday 30 December 2023)

Where to start with that rabble.  We looked utterly devoid of anything today, missed our goal as I had walked out in disgust 2 mins prior.

We absolutely need to prioritise getting a competent ‘keeper in January, a striker who is taller than 5 feet and a left back. Get Ross Lyon so far to f**k.

Congratulations Stenny for the easiest three points you’ll get all season.

A low-quality game of football but another remarkable victory for Stenhousemuir - nine wins on the bounce is incredible and everyone associated with the club should be delighted with the first half of the season.

Although Stenhousemuir didn't play well - for long spells, the ball was carelessly leathered about - it was still a fairly comfortable afternoon all in. Even after Ross Taylor's dismissal, I was fairly sanguine we'd come through unscathed because Clyde were so insipid and offered nothing going forward. It was only at the death where we looked ragged and gave away a poor goal, but there was not enough time for the home side to build on it. I was surprised to see Kian Leslie played through the middle and not on the flank; he barely got a kick all afternoon. The wing-backs didn't offer a lot (and Ross Lyon was especially poor) and the midfield, although competent enough, got pushed around by Nat Wedderburn and Mikey Anderson. I still reckon Clyde will be fine come the end of the season but they have a lot of work to do - with results elsewhere going against them, this was a hard weekend.

Some players did well for Stenhousemuir, others didn't. Matty Aitken was superb up front and turned in his best performance for the club. His two goals were well taken but his hold-up play and workrate were exceptional throughout; Stuart Carswell had a difficult afternoon trying to contain him. Anderson was terrific in the middle of the park and his run to set up Aitken's first goal was the highlight of the game. Euan O'Reilly was good on the left and had Lyon on toast. Gregor Buchanan defended well when called upon. Ross Meechan and Adam Brown, both reinstated to the starting XI, weren't great and I expected better from both.

Taylor really let everyone down with his red card. It was a ridiculous tackle, completely thoughtless, reckless and malicious. We all know he has a petulant streak but this was completely over the top. Against a better opponent, we could have thrown away the match, and we were fortunate the Clyde didn't have the wherewithal to take advantage. It's something he needs to curb.

Nevertheless, we're 11 points clear at the top of the table going into the second half of the campaign. We're doing very well just now and I hope it continues.

10 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Euan O'Reilly was good on the left and had Lyon on toast.

This was one of the biggest mismatches I’ve seen in terms of head-on opponents. I’ve seen Ross Lyon toil in a Clyde jersey more than most players but this was laughable.

It says a lot about the previous regimes that he was made captain.

Edited by Brian Carrigan

Today's performance was as bad as anything under Duffy. Long balls to Young and Leslie? Not once did they stick.

I'd rather have Sula or Dunachie up there than those two lightweights unable to challenge or hold the ball up.

Our tactics and team selection were a mismatch

Roll on January 1st.

Edited by haufdaft

I thought both sides we poor today with Stenny's physicality winning the day for them.  That's not to say they don't have greater ability to pass the ball than us, they clearly do, but they didn't play anywhere close to the same level as they did at Ochilview.  A limp challenge from Carswell for the opener summed us up really.  The second was fortuitous after hitting the bar, a back and falls to A grateful Stenny striker.  

We offered so little I'm surprised we even managed a consolation.  Getting Rennie back and someone else up front is huge for us.  With the quality additions made, there will be surely better to come from us but until we make ourselves a threat and have the ability to take ourselves for periods deep in opposition territory it won't matter how many better defenders we bring in, we will continue to be on the back-foot for most of any match and will ultimately lose.  

Another team turns up at our "home", does nothing really but graft hard, and gets a two goal lead. That is no slight on Stenny who are having a great season and are a really well balanced side. I thought they were much better at Ochilview than today.

Leighfield had nothing to do yet still managed to stink the place out by almost getting tackled.

Dunachie was desperate to ship a goal all game; getting tackled on the bye line first half, awful pass intercepted first half, then a dreadful clearance which led to the second goal. Him and Grant picked the wrong game to have a nightmare with two centre halves in for next week. 

Lyon has my sympathy as he definitely tries hard but the fact he's been subbed the last two games to put Dunachie at wingback speaks volumes.

I thought Stevenson did okay. Cuddihy has to be played further forward, or on the right. Ray Grant was good when he came on.

The manager needs to take a bit of stick though his tenure really starts tonight. He'd obviously instructed them to punt the ball up towards Jamieson and Buchanan, which is madness.

5 minutes ago, David W said:

Dunachie was desperate to ship a goal all game; getting tackled on the bye line first half, awful pass intercepted first half, then a dreadful clearance which led to the second goal. Him and Grant picked the wrong game to have a nightmare with two centre halves in for next week. 

I think we shall see a total different LD in the second half of the season with decent players around him.  

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

A low-quality game of football but another remarkable victory for Stenhousemuir - nine wins on the bounce is incredible and everyone associated with the club should be delighted with the first half of the season.

Although Stenhousemuir didn't play well - for long spells, the ball was carelessly leathered about - it was still a fairly comfortable afternoon all in. Even after Ross Taylor's dismissal, I was fairly sanguine we'd come through unscathed because Clyde were so insipid and offered nothing going forward. It was only at the death where we looked ragged and gave away a poor goal, but there was not enough time for the home side to build on it. I was surprised to see Kian Leslie played through the middle and not on the flank; he barely got a kick all afternoon. The wing-backs didn't offer a lot (and Ross Lyon was especially poor) and the midfield, although competent enough, got pushed around by Nat Wedderburn and Mikey Anderson. I still reckon Clyde will be fine come the end of the season but they have a lot of work to do - with results elsewhere going against them, this was a hard weekend.

Some players did well for Stenhousemuir, others didn't. Matty Aitken was superb up front and turned in his best performance for the club. His two goals were well taken but his hold-up play and workrate were exceptional throughout; Stuart Carswell had a difficult afternoon trying to contain him. Anderson was terrific in the middle of the park and his run to set up Aitken's first goal was the highlight of the game. Euan O'Reilly was good on the left and had Lyon on toast. Gregor Buchanan defended well when called upon. Ross Meechan and Adam Brown, both reinstated to the starting XI, weren't great and I expected better from both.

Taylor really let everyone down with his red card. It was a ridiculous tackle, completely thoughtless, reckless and malicious. We all know he has a petulant streak but this was completely over the top. Against a better opponent, we could have thrown away the match, and we were fortunate the Clyde didn't have the wherewithal to take advantage. It's something he needs to curb.

Nevertheless, we're 11 points clear at the top of the table going into the second half of the campaign. We're doing very well just now and I hope it continues.

Meeting you made my day. 

The number 6 looked very decent for Stenny. 

Not the worse game i've been to under the conditions.

Certainly didn't look like a giant gap between them although points wise there is.

Certainly the relegation battle isn't over but you wouldn't want that points gap to widen any further or it could really go tits up and it's hello old Junior grounds by 2025.

Rutherglen Glencairn v Clyde anyone?

54 minutes ago, ItsCaffers said:

Meeting you made my day. 

The number 6 looked very decent for Stenny. 

I might have had a few vodkas last night and a few more tonight, but I can at least confidently say I won't wake up without any regrets for telling you to f**k off and not come back. Embarrassing. 

As for today's performance, not much better. But still, another 'close' game in terms of the scoreline and another surefire sign that Stennie will be back in this league by the start of the 25/26 campaign. I've never seen such a horrendous gang top a league at this stage. Momentum is keeping them going as opposed to talent and I can tell you now that they will absolutely limp to the league title in what is a terrible division. 

Hopefully we'll follow them up after a good January and be the ones who have the pleasure of sending tinpot celebrity FC right back down 👇 until then, more signings please. And by god, leaders. 

Edited by Wee man the jackass

Until Taylor’s moment of madness we were comfortable. Clyde I don’t think had had a single shot on target at that point. It then got a little nervy and in the end I was disappointed we didn’t get the clean sheet, but 9 wins on the spin is spectacular. That’s a quarter of the season and we have beaten every single team. None of the wins have been all that comprehensive but when we have such a strong back line, often one goal is enough.

Today I thought Mikey Anderson was outstanding. His work to create the opening goal was brilliant. His consistency levels this season have been amazing. He is unstoppable at the moment, so Jacobs might need to bide his time.

Matty Aitken had the best game I’ve seen from him. He took the first goal really well, and gave the Clyde backline a tough time.

Defence was comfortable, but to be honest they had quite an easy time of it for most of the afternoon.

Our lead extended. A good afternoon.

28 minutes ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

Until Taylor’s moment of madness we were comfortable. Clyde I don’t think had had a single shot on target at that point.

Beg to differ sir.  We did have A shot on target.   I remember being amazed.  Easily gathered by Jamieson though.  

I am amazed at the gracious Stenny fans on here saying that there was not much between the sides.  One very obviously looked to be at the top of the league, and the other, the bottom.  One looked to have a cohesive squad with decent players (with the exception of Gregor Buchanan) and the other didn't.  

Today was a horrific performance from us on the back of a decent shift in a monsoon at Dumbarton last week.  AsI said brfore, it is going to be a very long second half of the season for us.  

1 hour ago, Wee man the jackass said:

I might have had a few vodkas last night and a few more tonight, but I can at least confidently say I won't wake up without any regrets for telling you to f**k off and not come back. Embarrassing. 

As for today's performance, not much better. But still, another 'close' game in terms of the scoreline and another surefire sign that Stennie will be back in this league by the start of the 25/26 campaign. I've never seen such a horrendous gang top a league at this stage. Momentum is keeping them going as opposed to talent and I can tell you now that they will absolutely limp to the league title in what is a terrible division. 

Hopefully we'll follow them up after a good January and be the ones who have the pleasure of sending tinpot celebrity FC right back down 👇 until then, more signings please. And by god, leaders. 

:lol: 

Clyde were quite Elginy. Not comedically bad, but just generally a bit hapless and toothless.

We were poor as well but we have a habit of being able to grab a couple of goals from not much.

Glad to have checked that one off. If Football Manager has taught me anything, your winning run ends at the bottom of the league jobbers.

This run is incredible … to beat ALL your league competitors in a round of fixtures is fantastic at ANY level.

We have a special group of talented players, and not a “horrendous gang” as previously mentioned and a squad I’m enjoying watching when I can.

Edited by Broxi Bears

4 hours ago, Wee man the jackass said:

Nope no talent at all …. to win NINE games on the bounce doesn’t require talent 😂

DJ … potentially the best GK in the legaue

Back 4 - most clean sheets and solid CBs in Bucky and Nicky, with full backs on either side also contributing.

Terrific Midfield with Mikey Anderson pulling the strings and exciting, tricky AND skilful wingers in O’Reilly and Taylor on both flanks.

In the final third, we have the top goalscorer in the league in Aitken, with Yates working well in behind and great at free kicks but yeah no talent at all ?!!!

Enjoy your vodkas “wee man” 😂 

Edited by Broxi Bears

Naysmith and his staff have done an incredible job with this team. There is talent throughout the squad and each week, players have stepped up and proven their worth. 

Under previous gaffers, when we played average, we'd concede sloppy goals and come undone, become overwhelmed or just not be able to increase our tempo. Naysmith has installed a more determined focused mentality and his work on the defensive aspects seems to have stopped the performances from dropping to the previous ways.

Brilliant to see Anderson turn in another great performance. Glad we signed him up for another season. 

I've watched Clyde train a few times and they aren't a terrible side. There's just very little confidence in that squad currently and the training, before McCall, was strangely quiet. I can't see them finishing bottom. 

I think it is a good point you have touched on it's the robustness of this team that is as important as anything else. When we are off it we still have enough character in the team to hold on through the difficult moments, grit our teeth and ride it out. We folded like a cheap deck chair in similar circumstances under Swift.