Aberdeen v Motherwell 27/12

6 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

An empty stadium!? There would've been plenty of fans in tonight..

It probably doesn't benefit Motherwell but I'm an Aberdeen fan and don't care too much about them.

Well theres the crux of it, i guess. Youre just a selfish c**t. 

Suspect youd be on here crying your eyes out if a game against Rangers at Ibrox went ahead without any Aberdeen fans making it to the game due to road closures too.

15 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

It’s absolutely up to the footballing authorities to decide to call a game off if travelling is dangerous.  I’m not sure who else would do it.  

No, it's the police who occasionally advise that.  They also of course give out general advice not to travel which should be taken on board whether you're travelling to a game, shopping, visiting etc.  The SPFL priority is to get the game played if possible and that includes both teams getting there safely and the pitch being fit for use.  Ross County today couldn't get down the A9 but Motherwell were in Aberdeen and the pitch playable.  I can't speak for AFC management but a few thousand less in the crowd is chicken shit compared to more fixtures backlog.

26 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Who does that benefit exactly?

Aberdeen lose an absolute fortune in money and the games played in an empty stadium.

Or you just wait a few weeks and have neither of those issues.

Why not just wait? Whats the rush?

For one thing, by the time these rearranged fixtures get played there’s a good chance we’re going to be significantly weaker since our best player will likely be sold in January. 

And if Motherwell re-sign van Veen in January, that c**t is guaranteed a few goals against us.  

55 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

And you realise that the game is being played in Aberdeen not on the roads between Aberdeen and Motherwell?

If both teams are in the city, and I believe they are, then the game should go ahead.

It's not up to the 'authorities' to decide whether it's safe for the individual to travel. They have to be responsible enough to make that decision for themselves.

Just because old Jock can't shift his tractor through his farm road in New Pistligo because it looks like the Somme doesn't mean the game should be off.

The conditions in Aberdeen are perfect for a game of football.

Just curious were the officials in the city

Id assume they would have been to conduct pitch inspection earlier (if required) but knowing this league they might not have been

16 minutes ago, STFU_Donny said:

For one thing, by the time these rearranged fixtures get played there’s a good chance we’re going to be significantly weaker since our best player will likely be sold in January. 

And if Motherwell re-sign van Veen in January, that c**t is guaranteed a few goals against us.  

I really can't see Dante going in January but you never know.

25 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Just curious were the officials in the city

Id assume they would have been to conduct pitch inspection earlier (if required) but knowing this league they might not have been

The pitch was fine. Early inspections are often done by local refs anyway, not by the officials for the game itself.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Who does that benefit exactly?

Aberdeen lose an absolute fortune in money and the games played in an empty stadium.

Or you just wait a few weeks and have neither of those issues.

Why not just wait? Whats the rush?

It’s the opposite, the club will lose a fortune as a result of the postponement. Home crowds are usually bigger during the festive period and there will have been more demand for the away end and hospitality for tonight than for a rearranged midweek game.

Just now, lubo_blaha said:

It’s the opposite, the club will lose a fortune as a result of the postponement. Home crowds are usually bigger during the festive period and there will have been more demand for the away end and hospitality for tonight than for a rearranged midweek game.

When we both get knocked out of the Scottish Cup it can be played on a Saturday...

58 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

If this is rearranged to suit then I may boost the crowd with my attendance.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Well theres the crux of it, i guess. Youre just a selfish c**t. 

Suspect youd be on here crying your eyes out if a game against Rangers at Ibrox went ahead without any Aberdeen fans making it to the game due to road closures too.

Aye, welcome to the world of football fandom where self-righteousness is parked in favour of your team and to hell with the rest...

However, I'll resist being dragged into the cesspit of personal online vitriol thank you.

With regards 'Rangers', unlikely to happen since they died in 2012; however, you keep the mythology going if you like.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

58 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Just seen all the video footage of flooded roads at Kemnay, Inverurie and Dunecht.......add that to the closures from the south then I am sure there would have been a very small crowd tonight. 

What's your definition of small?

It might've kept Robson in Inverurie, and allowed us to play four at the back (I jest).

Edited by Bogbrush1903

On 27/12/2023 at 19:35, lubo_blaha said:

Which takes me back to the question, why was this game not scheduled for Boxing Day 3pm?

In all my (too many) years watching AFC - this was the date we used to get bumper festive crowds regardless of the opponents if we were fortunate enough to have a home game that day.

Given our previous match was meant to be on Sat 23rd, there seemed little reason to make this a Wed 27th game. 

3 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Which takes me back to the question, why was this game not scheduled for Boxing Day 3pm?

In all my (too many) years watching AFC - this was the date we used to get bumper festive crowds regardless of the opponents if we were fortunate enough to have a home game that day.

Given our previous match was meant to be on Sat 23rd, there seemed little reason to make this a Wed 27th game. 

Ours was the Sunday (rearranged for TV).  I am sure I have attended many Boxing Day matches.

Edited by ropy

1 minute ago, ropy said:

Ours was the Sunday (rearranged for TV).  I am sure I have attended many Boxing Day matches.

Ah good point - that maybe explains this one - albeit not a couple of the other matches scheduled for last night.

3 hours ago, tarapoa said:

I agree. The whole fixture card should’ve been scheduled for the 26th from the start, before Sky could move Well vs Sevco to the 24th.