Celtic V Rangers - Sat 30th December

5 minutes ago, bennett said:

That'll probably take a few windows and we'll struggle to unload Lammers and Dessers. Ryan Jack when fit is one of best midfielders in the country but injure prone players like him and Roofe just aren't reliable enough. 

It will, aye, though I’m encouraged to see improvements from some of the players already here. I thought Ridvan had one of his best games for us yesterday, completely nullifying Maeda and outmatched his running power.

Even putting Ryan Jack aside, Sterling looks fairly reliable in there and we still have Raskin to come back, hopefully soon.

A good forward would see us improve massively as the defence isn’t an issue and the midfield fine. Whether that is Fabio Silva I’m not sure but I expect we’d be targeting at least 1 more forward given Danilo and Roofe’s injuries.

14 minutes ago, bennett said:

Every other team in the country would be asking questions in those circumstances. 

I said in my first comment on this that I wasn't just having a pop at Rangers, but the clamour for VAR so we 'get to the right decisions', only for people to then question the process because the decision goes against their team, despite being the right one.

2 hours ago, AJF said:

I agree to an extent, though I think the underlying reasons we ended up with VAR are slightly different - but connected.

We survived quite happily for decades complaining about referee decisions following games. I genuinely think it’s when football fans are in their natural element, discussing contentions points following a match, be that at a pub following the game, online or wherever.

What I think led to VAR is the obscene amounts of money now involved in the game that puts more pressure on the need for every decision to be correct.

I thought football was bonkers when Sheffield Utd ended up taking legal action against West Ham after the Tevez transfer fiasco and their resulting relegation. After this, I don’t think it would be a stretch for a football club to take similar action if they ended up relegated (or similar) on the back of an incorrect refereeing decision.

I think money, rather than solely media influence, led to where we are now. Which is a shame.

Sorry , I disagree. I think VAR came into being because people wanted to rid the game of really stupid ( refereeing ) errors. The one that comes to mind I am afraid is England's disallowed goal against Germany when the ball was clearly over the line

1 minute ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Sorry , I disagree. I think VAR came into being because people wanted to rid the game of really stupid ( refereeing ) errors. The one that comes to mind I am afraid is England's disallowed goal against Germany when the ball was clearly over the line

It will be some of that as well, I think my main point was that we survived just fine without VAR for decades, even with the media circus that comes along with dubious decisions. I just think it has changed into a more commercial minded sport with the influx of money. It is all connected though and is a combination of it all, most likely.

8 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Nothing other than to fuel a phoney media war. This is classic playing to the gallery from rangers and I think you know it. 

We’re talking about an ultimately correct decision in a game rangers deserved to lose. And yet we’ll now be subjected to weeks of media coverage of this nonsense. The irony being pre match rangers were talking about the ‘insane’ pressure on refs from Celtic but look where we are today over a right decision. 

Most of us have spent our lives seeing countless refereeing decisions go yours and Celtic way yet the SFA need to grovel to rangers over this one? This is exactly why VAR will get worse and more intrusive. 

Rangers, and Celtic, can f**k off.

Of course there is an element of playing to the gallery, I just don’t think it is specific to us. I certainly don’t want any apologies for an ultimately correct decision, I just don’t think it’s a big deal they are asking for clarity just as the SFA did which nobody really had an issue with at the time.

Edited by AJF

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Nothing other than to fuel a phoney media war. This is classic playing to the gallery from rangers and I think you know it. 

We’re talking about an ultimately correct decision in a game rangers deserved to lose. And yet we’ll now be subjected to weeks of media coverage of this nonsense. The irony being pre match rangers were talking about the ‘insane’ pressure on refs from Celtic but look where we are today over a right decision. 

Most of us have spent our lives seeing countless refereeing decisions go yours and Celtic way yet the SFA need to grovel to rangers over this one? This is exactly why VAR will get worse and more intrusive. 

If both Celtic and Rangers were to go, and there are many reasons to suggest they should ? IMO it would be the chance to transform Scottish football for the better. This revolution ( to any advantage) would not be done by the present rulers thats for sure ?

6 minutes ago, AJF said:

Of course there is an element of playing to the gallery, I just don’t think it is specific to us. I certainly don’t want any apologies for an ultimately correct decision, I just don’t think it’s a big deal they are asking for clarity just as the SFA did which nobody really had an issue with at the time.

I’m afraid I can’t take your complaints about VAR that seriously then if you condone fuelling this culture.

17 minutes ago, AJF said:

It will, aye, though I’m encouraged to see improvements from some of the players already here. I thought Ridvan had one of his best games for us yesterday, completely nullifying Maeda and outmatched his running power.

He did f**k all 🤣

Maeda was constantly in behind him but luckily for you his final ball is a bad as anything I’ve ever seen 

3 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

. The focus on decisions, from all fans and coaches, is often to miss the real point.

Totally agree, now if only that was applied to games where rangers have won or drew based on a correct ref decision, like the games against hearts and aberdeen 

The game at pittodrie when we got the injury time penalty (correctly) barely a peep as to why aberdeen sat back and didnt go for the 2nd to kill us off, or about how the defender lost the player and committed the foul

It was pages upon pages of "refs favouring rangers" 

19 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Remind us again how long the discussion went on about rangers correctly awarded penalty at pittodrie to get a point? 

Just now, 54_and_counting said:

Totally agree, now if only that was applied to games where rangers have won or drew based on a correct ref decision, like the games against hearts and aberdeen 

The game at pittodrie when we got the injury time penalty (correctly) barely a peep as to why aberdeen sat back and didnt go for the 2nd to kill us off, or about how the defender lost the player and committed the foul

It was pages upon pages of "refs favouring rangers" 

In both of those games you saw fans of those clubs criticising their manager.

Nobody disputed that Hearts had brought trouble on themselves, and a lot of the Aberdeen reaction I saw was similar.

The refereeing issue is the long-term pattern of Rangers being awarded things that other teams are not and that are never awarded against them. That's a separate issue, for me.

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’m afraid I can’t take your complaints about VAR that seriously then if you condone fuelling this culture.

My point is mainly that this culture was present before VAR anyway and is not a byproduct of VAR.

5 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

He did f**k all 🤣

Maeda was constantly in behind him but luckily for you his final ball is a bad as anything I’ve ever seen 

Maeda was completely ineffective compared to his usual style and that was mainly down to Ridvan being able to match him pace and stamina wise.

2 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Remind us again how long the discussion went on about rangers correctly awarded penalty at pittodrie to get a point? 

The argument there was that we didn’t think we’d get that 1-0 down at ibrox. I still believe that. Not corruption, human nature with referees under increased pressure in fixtures involving two clubs. Which loops us nicely back to this discussion. 

It really wasn’t talked about that much anyway and I disagreed with Robsons post match comments on the matter. 

13 minutes ago, AJF said:

My point is mainly that this culture was present before VAR anyway and is not a byproduct of VAR.

Maeda was completely ineffective compared to his usual style and that was mainly down to Ridvan being able to match him pace and stamina wise.

Yeah that explains the half dozen or so positions he got into behind Yilmaz where a better ball or better decision making could have resulted in a shot at goal 😂

You had 1 maybe 2 players who got pass marks yesterday and 1 of them wasn’t Yilmaz