Partick Thistle vs Arbroath - 6th January 2024

Just now, clashcityrocker said:

New signing Walker liability for that goal, firstly slowing down to claim off side and then failing to close down the player and block the shot - two defensive errors, two goals.

Still A “great team” tho aye? 

Its just not working today.  Its the poorest game I've watched under McIntyre, we aren't creating anything, and for whatever reason, there's no spark and its all a bit flat today.  It doesn't feel like we are going to get any goals any time soon.

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

Hate to say it but Gaston is becoming a bit of a liability. Looks unfit, immobile, overweight and is painfully slow. 

Jesus Christ! Hardly a liability few mistakes which every key player has. He’s won us more points than lost. Unfit? the guys a tank works as a coach at a one of the biggest clubs in Scotland will use the facilities there also probably. Gaston’s never been the quickest and he’s only getting older. Give the guy a break. 

On 03/01/2024 at 13:45, clashcityrocker said:

Arbroath are short of players due to lots of players out injured - meaning many of the players available are playing out of position.

However, they have all been playing remarkably really well, risen to the challenge and put in regular consistency performances.

Think this game is wide open - Arbroath may be short on numbers, but the players have shown they are for up for the fight.

A difficult score to predict - but will go with an away win.

Just now, clashcityrocker said:

Arbroath’s weakest performance since MacIntyre came in - defence too slow and all over the place. Shambles in terms of defending.

1 hour ago, clashcityrocker said:

So annoying, on top of the game and then a hoof kick up the park and Gaston unable to clear the danger .................

52 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

Besides the goal, not much between the teams.

I’m glad my standards aren’t as low as yours for my football team.

Good result though should have been put to bed earlier. Fitzpatrick against a full back who is miles out of his depth is always fun to watch and they died on their collective arse second half. 

6/6 from the last two games was needed with a tough run of three away games coming up, Morton the form team in the league and Airdrie picking up of late with a PTSD inducing trip to Dingwall in between. 

12 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I’m glad my standards aren’t as low as yours for my football team.

At the time of posting that comment there was very little between teams - are you suggesting otherwise ?

Obviously Arbroath collapsed in the 2nd half - but at the time of that post, it was a close game with Thistle taking advantage of a defensive error.

Anyone can copy and paste a fans comment from early into the match then post sarcastic comments once they know the  final result after the full time whistle - but if that rocks your boat, then hey ho.

8 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Turns out there’s quite a lot between the teams. Who could’ve seen that coming? 

Most Arbroath fans!

It really caught up with us today.  A lot of games in a few days, and we looked tired.  There was absolutely no spark at all.  When Thistle brought on their subs, we didn't have a hope.  There's going to be a lot of fingers pointed at our defence, but really, I think we needed to see much more from our midfield and attack than we got.  We were playing yet another new defence, and you could see that in the occasional mix up and communication failure.  I'd hope that settles down over time, and if we can just have a bit of stability, we'll be okay.  I'm sure there will be people demanding we immediately release the new signing (see Norey et al.), but he's been dropped into a new team without the benefit of any training time.

We desperately needed some creativity today, and none was forthcoming from our midfield and attack.  I put that partly down to injury and fatigue, but I was disappointed with what I saw.  A couple tactical issues too.  For example, Bird was getting no joy in the second half, was knackered, and was limping about towards the end of the match unable to contribute.  Why not make a positional switch?  Why not put McIntosh or Turan in the middle and move Bird out wide?  Keeping him in the middle blunted our attack and that was poor tactics from the manager.  Similarly, we were really struggling with our high line, and Thistle got through it time and time again, but we didn't seem to do anything about it.

So yeah, just a really poor game all round.  I'm quite dispirited after that.  It feels like some of the late Dick Campbell games rather than the McIntyre games.

Ended up comfortable, Adeloye missed two great chances but thankfully kept going and got a couple of tap ins. Surprised Arbroath kept the no. 27 on, was clearly struggling the last 10/15 mins but game was done anyway.

Few MOTM candidates, Neilson is getting better and better all the time and having a CB that can pick out quality passes is a huge asset, Bannigan was very good throughout but Fitzpatrick did deserve it, was constantly causing problems for Arbroath.