Willie Collum; good guy? complete dick? corrupt? / ..and should (Old Firm) clubs "have the power to ban him"?

Two sided poll - Willie Collum's decisions & club control over referees.  

292 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Agree with this as well. I can’t remember what game it was (possibly Aberdeen but maybe Hearts) but a Scottish team got one of the worst ever penalty decisions I’ve ever seen in Europe this season.

It was us.

23 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Ok so my theoretical idea is that the SFA invest £3 billion per year to work on an amazing training and development program on Scottish referees to make them the best in the world.

What do you think? 

Cute

2 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

To be fair that is part of his job as an RE Teacher at an RC School so you do have a point

But it's also worth bearing in mind that it is only 4th on a list of 8 objectives 

Religious Education in Catholic schools (catholiceducation.org.uk)

What is the purpose of Religious Education in Catholic schools?
1. To present engagingly a comprehensive content which is the basis of knowledge and understanding of the Catholic faith;
2. To enable pupils continually to deepen their religious and theological understanding and be able to communicate this effectively;
3. To present an authentic vision of the Church's moral and social teaching so that pupils can make a critique of the underlying trends in contemporary 1. culture and society;
4. To raise pupils' awareness of the faith and traditions of other religious communities in order to respect and understand them;
5. To develop the critical faculties of pupils so that they can relate their Catholic faith to daily life;
6. To stimulate pupils' imagination and provoke a desire for personal meaning as revealed in the truth of the Catholic faith;
7. To enable pupils to relate the knowledge gained through Religious Education to their understanding of other subjects in the curriculum;
8. To bring clarity to the relationship between faith and life, and between faith and culture.

I'd be stunned beyond belief if this were actually happening to any real degree. Catholicism can't really survive in an atmosphere rich in critical thinking. It certainly wasn't the case when I was at high school. Our RE teacher was far from a hippy and was in fact as god-fearingly devout as they come. 

One thing about RE in my school was nobody had any respect for either the subject or the teachers. A teacher who was just an RE teacher was no better than a supply teacher in our eyes. Teachers who taught other subjects and moonlighted as RE teachers were given a pass if they were sound and knowledgeable in their main area of study. The aforementioned Mrs McGonagle always presented as embattled and dismissive due to the collective contempt in which she and her subject were held (Mrs Miller, who taught history and was a warm and lovely woman, got our less divided attention). I imagine this can explain how Collum shows up as a ref, but I also wonder that he's chosen two roles in his life in which he'll be disrespected continuously. 

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

To be fair RE teachers seemed to be the more laid back hippier types in school, not really the god fearing types iirc. I went to a proddy school though so not sure if 'them' were any different. I also feel many fans in Scottish football have an unhealthy hang up on Collums main job as if it's some sort of smoking gun. 

He’s not been a RE teacher for many years. He’s some sort of continuous improvement officer for the council or something along those lines. My wife mentioned he’s in and out of the school she works at quite often. 

My old RE teacher was Brian Dempseys brother, needless to say he got a bit pestered by many non RE questions in the mid 90’s 😂

Edited by Jinky67

57 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Non denominational.

Wasn't an RE class when i went to school, just the odd main assembly, but my daughter had one, and for someone not brought up with any religious beliefs she was shit hot at their exams.😂

Quite liked all the stories when i went to Sunday school, got bored shitless with the church though and used to just spend the collection money on sweets and play outside the church, across the road with a few similar minded mates till the church folk came out and i could go home without my mum knowing i wasn't going. At some point she eventually sussed me out and just gave up trying to get me to go. 

A certain amount of knowledge of Bible stories will remain essential for as long as they are referenced in Pub quizzes

9 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

A certain amount of knowledge of Bible stories will remain essential for as long as they are referenced in Pub quizzes

I see the bible stories as being the same as Homer's Iliad, loved all the Greek mythology too.

Penfold wades in.

SNP MSP James Dornan has blasted a "culture of secrecy" at the Scottish FA as he tabled a parliament motion over the VAR fallout after the match between Celtic and Rangers.

The member of parliament called for greater transparency from Hampden chiefs in a motion lodged on Friday.

The MSP for Glasgow Cathcart since 2011 also backed calls from Rangers for the Scottish FA to release audio of the conversations between officials during a flashpoint in the match over an alleged handball against Alistair Johnston.

6 minutes ago, bennett said:

Penfold wades in.

SNP MSP James Dornan has blasted a "culture of secrecy" at the Scottish FA as he tabled a parliament motion over the VAR fallout after the match between Celtic and Rangers.

The member of parliament called for greater transparency from Hampden chiefs in a motion lodged on Friday.

The MSP for Glasgow Cathcart since 2011 also backed calls from Rangers for the Scottish FA to release audio of the conversations between officials during a flashpoint in the match over an alleged handball against Alistair Johnston.

Parliamentary motion ffs. 

Take it to the ECHR, it's an injustice of the utmost severity

18 minutes ago, bennett said:

Penfold wades in.

This the same James Dornan you all wanted sacked over his comments about the videos of Rangers players celebrating winning the title? That James Dornan?

Edited by Jinky67

I support independence and, by extension, the SNP but Dornan can gtf with that sort of move. It comes across as pandering and quite frankly not something he should be focussing on. There are considerably more pressing matters at hand.

52 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

This the same James Dornan you all wanted sacked over his comments about the videos of Rangers players celebrating winning the title? That James Dornan?

Wasn't there also something about bigoted buses in Edinburgh?

This thread was a wild ride.

I think he's a just fairly poor official who makes a lot of errors and they're magnified because refereeing decisions in football are so intensely scrutinised. I think refs not being full time in Scotland is one of the issues we have and I'd love to see that changed.

1 hour ago, LuboMoravcik said:

I think he's a just fairly poor official who makes a lot of errors and they're magnified because refereeing decisions in football are so intensely scrutinised. I think refs not being full time in Scotland is one of the issues we have and I'd love to see that changed.

Isn't the worst by a long shot, Kevin Clancy and Greg Aitken have been far worse officiating our games. Collum can be card happy or completely at the other side of the scale and lets everything go. I'm convinced he gets to the stage he's at his limit for bookings for the month and doesn't want to go over it, so lets fouls he'd normally be running straight over to with his card already out his pocket, off scot free. 

You'll never please the erse cheeks though, everything revolves around them and no other team gets bad decisions, only them, and the ref will either be a proddy or a cafflick, start banning refs from their games and you'd be left with no refs able to do it, they'll never both agree on an unbiased official, just like they ask you what team you support, aye but who's yer big team..

3 hours ago, LuboMoravcik said:

Of course you do. You benefit from a good chunk of these errors.

13 hours ago, bennett said:

Penfold wades in.

Easy to understand now why the ferries have taken so fucking long.

14 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Non denominational.

Wasn't an RE class when i went to school, just the odd main assembly, but my daughter had one, and for someone not brought up with any religious beliefs she was shit hot at their exams.😂

Quite liked all the stories when i went to Sunday school, got bored shitless with the church though and used to just spend the collection money on sweets and play outside the church, across the road with a few similar minded mates till the church folk came out and i could go home without my mum knowing i wasn't going. At some point she eventually sussed me out and just gave up trying to get me to go. 

They say that but I can remember singing hymns in just about every assembly at primary school and at high school only ever having visits from ministers of the same church, end of term services etc. It might have changed now but the non-deonminational claims were very much a stretch at best. 

Like you my disdain of church stems from being being made to go as a child also, only reason why I started to play Rugby was because I found out they played on a Sunday so I could miss it.

10 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Isn't the worst by a long shot, Kevin Clancy and Greg Aitken have been far worse officiating our games. Collum can be card happy or completely at the other side of the scale and lets everything go. I'm convinced he gets to the stage he's at his limit for bookings for the month and doesn't want to go over it, so lets fouls he'd normally be running straight over to with his card already out his pocket, off scot free. 

You'll never please the erse cheeks though, everything revolves around them and no other team gets bad decisions, only them, and the ref will either be a proddy or a cafflick, start banning refs from their games and you'd be left with no refs able to do it, they'll never both agree on an unbiased official, just like they ask you what team you support, aye but who's yer big team..

I didn't call him the worst.