🧡🖤🧡 Shed v Cowshed 💙🤍💙

26 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Goodwin channeling his inner Michael Owen here:

Fk jim Goodwin fk Dundee utd fk Lorraine Kelly fk desperate Dan n fk Dennis the fkn p***k 

You seen the morton now fk off home n dry yer eyes 

7 minutes ago, adamntg said:

There’s no saying the penalty would’ve been converted, and I only saw it at the game so not had a proper look at a replay, but I’ve yet to hear anyone suggest it was anything other than a clear penalty to United.  If it were your job relying on these decisions you’d maybe be a bit pissy about it as well.

We really can't be blaming the referee, as bad as he was, for another inept home display. Goodwin is much mre culpable, yet we can't get rid of him.

Just now, Dundee Hibernian said:

We really can't be blaming the referee, as bad as he was, for another inept home display. Goodwin is much mre culpable, yet we can't get rid of him.

Referee was terrible, but I’m not really blaming him for the result.  

I’m not prepared to start sniping at Goodwin either.  As someone who has lived thru Brewster, Laszlo, Hegarty and Jobby McCall as manager, I’m always reluctant to want to change someone who seems competent enough. 

12 minutes ago, Gmfc 23 said:

Fk jim Goodwin fk Dundee utd fk Lorraine Kelly fk desperate Dan n fk Dennis the fkn p***k 

You seen the morton now fk off home n dry yer eyes 

giphy1.gif

1 minute ago, adamntg said:

Referee was terrible, but I’m not really blaming him for the result.  

I’m not prepared to start sniping at Goodwin either.  As someone who has lived thru Brewster, Laszlo, Hegarty and Jobby McCall as manager, I’m always reluctant to want to change someone who seems competent enough. 

I agree with you, the next manager may well be worse, but we can't get rid of him because of finances.....although it could be argued that failure this season will make the club less attractive to potential new owners, and so on. 

On another note, the first manager for me was Jerry Kerr.

Genuinely couldn't make out the penalty shout from the other end, but the second yellow was a good call. I can see why from the dugout it would look bad because Sibbald did get a touch on the ball, but it's one of those where the tackler makes such a light contact with the ball that the player he's tackling simply traps it again, takes another touch and then gets punted in the air by Sibbald's trailing leg. It's a textbook yellow.

It was just two teams with - for today only - ropey defences trading chances and us having the more clinical striker that made the difference, not refereeing or physical dominance.

8 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Genuinely couldn't make out the penalty shout from the other end, but the second yellow was a good call. I can see why from the dugout it would look bad because Sibbald did get a touch on the ball, but it's one of those where the tackler makes such a light contact with the ball that the player he's tackling simply traps it again, takes another touch and then gets punted in the air by Sibbald's trailing leg. It's a textbook yellow.

It was just two teams with - for today only - ropey defences trading chances and us having the more clinical striker that made the difference, not refereeing or physical dominance.

DUTV has replays and the penalty was an absolute stone waller and it's a laughably bad decision. Even worse is Holt (I think) had still managed to get free and get a header that was going in even if you could possibly make the argument that Mullen stopped as he was never getting it. Broadfoot has improved a lot recently but that's not the first time this season he's been wrestling an attacker in the box. 

I've not seen the second yellow again but Goodwin has said he watched replays of it and said its clear he got the ball. I've only saw it once and at the time didn't think there was any contention over the decision and was a clear second yellow so will wait to see it again. 

1 hour ago, adamntg said:

There’s no saying the penalty would’ve been converted, and I only saw it at the game so not had a proper look at a replay, but I’ve yet to hear anyone suggest it was anything other than a clear penalty to United.  If it were your job relying on these decisions you’d maybe be a bit pissy about it as well.

Aye - maybe so. But if my weather relied on every stonewall penalty decision which I’ve seen go against Morton, I’l be typing this from a beach on a Caribbean island, instead of a freezing, windy, pish-wet town on the West Coast.

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I agree with you, the next manager may well be worse, but we can't get rid of him because of finances.....although it could be argued that failure this season will make the club less attractive to potential new owners, and so on. 

On another note, the first manager for me was Jerry Kerr.

Goodwin is doing well, we’re just off the back of two excellent 3-0 wins, and conceded seven goals in the first half of the season while scoring a ton at the other end.

Today they’ve lost to a last minute wonder strike to a team on a great run of form, suffered a few bad referee decisions, missing our first choice centre back, midfielder and centre forward (for the second half), and given them a two goal start and yet with a different bounce of the ball could easily have won the game.  It’s hardly panic stations, I’m still relaxed that come season’s end we’ll be top of the league. 

On 05/01/2024 at 14:25, Cowshed said:

Usually i’m the clown of some threads but you can take the lead on this one 

You are a turd needing flushing.

5 minutes ago, Chippyminton said:

Aye - maybe so. But if my weather relied on every stonewall penalty decision which I’ve seen go against Morton, I’l be typing this from a beach on a Caribbean island, instead of a freezing, windy, pish-wet town on the West Coast.

Not sure I get the metaphor, but I understand the point. 

United have been awarded one penalty in the league this season.  Crazy when you think they’re averaging almost 20 shots a game.  Just feeling sorry for ourselves tonight.  It’ll pass. 

5 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Going to go out on a limb and say that's the first time we've ever had two different players score perfect hatricks in consecutive games.

That was outstanding and I think we deserved that. Over the 90 we probably just about had more chances for all that we had less of the second half. Even aside from the obvious of the goals, what a performance from Oakley throughout. Destroyed that defence, not that anyone in a Morton top had a poor game.

But,But,But.,Hammer throwers ETC. 

17 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Goodwin is doing well, we’re just off the back of two excellent 3-0 wins, and conceded seven goals in the first half of the season while scoring a ton at the other end.

Really not sure why you'd classify two wins in a row as any sort of achievement for your manager given the context of this division.

Dundee United will have by some distance the largest budget. By virtue of that budget - and the absence of any serious title contender - Dundee United should be winning the league by at least a 10 point margin this season. Not only is Goodwin not on track to do that, he's not even got you top of the pile on a regular basis. 

The overall league record does look okay on paper but either scraping past Raith or doing a McKinnon and ending up in the playoffs would be a poor return on investment. And given you have two trips to Cappielow to navigate after today's defeat (and home draw earlier this season), at least some alarm bells should be clanging about your capacity to saunter to the title right now.

It's very much Kilmarnock from a couple of years ago vibes. They had the good sense to bin Tommy Wright halfway through the season while underperforming and even still only just got over the line and no more. Not saying that Goodwin must go, but he's objectively failing at his task right now.

Edited by vikingTON

Alert - @jagfox is lurking here and he’s accidentally superglued his finger to the red dot button. DUFC supporters have responded to today’s result with almost universal good grace and humility. What a shame that the thread has a Partick supporter stinking it out. 

I don’t think Goodwin’s a particularly good manager, but the outcome today had very little to do with his strengths or weaknesses: basically, we (Oakley) took advantage of the absence of Gallagher better than you (Moult) took advantage of the absence of Baird. If Gallagher plays, we simply don’t win that.

The thing that must be concerning for Dundee Utd supporters more broadly, tho, is that when Kilmarnock were labouring a couple of years ago, they got in an Actual Football Manager and backed him with money in January. Increasingly looking like you are going to have to do the same or rely on Raith’s bubble bursting at some point.

19 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

I don’t think Goodwin’s a particularly good manager, but the outcome today had very little to do with his strengths or weaknesses: basically, we (Oakley) took advantage of the absence of Gallagher better than you (Moult) took advantage of the absence of Baird. 

And that's not a football manager's responsibility - how, exactly? 

Louis Moult and Tony Watt will be earning multiples more per week than O'Connor (promising but not regularly playing this season, and always good for a brain fart error without Baird partnering him) and Kirk Broadfoot (89, playing for a Lowland League side last season). Not exploiting that sufficiently to win a home league game is a failure of management. 

A good manager - with comfortably the largest budget available to develop his team - should not even be relying on a couple of individual mismatches of quality to determine a game. That's not how you reliably win a league title over 36 games. 

Edited by vikingTON

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

And that's not a football manager's responsibility - how, exactly? 

Louis Moult and Tony Watt will be earning multiples more per week than O'Connor (promising but not regularly playing this season, and always good for a brain fart error without Baird partnering him) and Kirk Broadfoot (89, playing for a Lowland League side last season). Not exploiting that sufficiently to win a home league game is a failure of management. 

A good manager - with comfortably the largest budget available to develop his team - should not even be relying on a couple of individual mismatches of quality to determine a game. That's not how you reliably win a league title over 36 games. 

You're making the mistake of thinking because of the salaries they're on Moult and Watt are good players.

Neither of those are capable of scoring those three goals that Oakley did

1 hour ago, port-ton said:

DUTV has replays and the penalty was an absolute stone waller and it's a laughably bad decision. Even worse is Holt (I think) had still managed to get free and get a header that was going in even if you could possibly make the argument that Mullen stopped as he was never getting it. Broadfoot has improved a lot recently but that's not the first time this season he's been wrestling an attacker in the box. 

I've not seen the second yellow again but Goodwin has said he watched replays of it and said its clear he got the ball. I've only saw it once and at the time didn't think there was any contention over the decision and was a clear second yellow so will wait to see it again. 

I heard Goodwin talking about his analytics team "slowing the tackle right down and you can clearly see he won the ball."

If you need to slow it right down Jim, its not clear at all.

Had no view of the pen claim from the other end but sounds like big Kirk was up to his usual and we got away with one! 

Are United fans still raging at Strapps throw ins??

1 minute ago, virginton said:

As much a failure of Moult (who admittedly only got 45 minutes at it) and Watt (who has qualities, but football intelligence isn’t notable among them). And of course to the credit of Oakley and Imrie, who identified an opportunity and capitalised on it.

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

Agree over the 36 games, which is the point I was making about DU’s ‘stick or twist’ dilemma… As I said, I don’t think Jim Goodwin’s a good manager. But his team would have won — or at least not lost — today, despite his failings, were it not for Oakley monstering Graham (making his first start in Gallagher’s absence); that’s what decided it on the day. Not much Goodwin can do about that, other than punt Graham this month and sign a better option.