Ross County v Partick Thistle (Sat 20th Jan, 3pm)

Thistle will be well up for this, revenge for last year's play off. Very tough match. I can't stand the winter break, always seems to happen when the weather is fine. 

I'd like to see County get a decent cup run, it's been a while. Yet, at the same time a relegation battle & a cup run, not sure we have the depth of squad for both. While it's good to be drawn at home, have a feeling Thistle will win this. Can't afford any injuries either. 

Wouldn't be suprised to see a re-run of last years play off final either as Partick look like they will make the play offs easily enough. 

By the time Saturday comes around, we’ll have played 2 games in the last month, none of which in the last 2 weeks and conceded 5 in said matches. We’ll be without our captain (probably a good thing, actually) and there’ll probably be a good few joining/leaving this week adding to the unfamiliarity. There’s also the revenge element of the playoffs. Our Scottish Cup record is fucking woeful, with our last win in Dingwall coming in the 2016/2017 season. I don’t fancy us here at all. 

I don’t think there is any revenge element. A cup win is no compensation for losing the playoff. I can’t remember the last time we beat a team from a higher division in the cup, so not holding out too much hope. Mind you my memory isn’t that great, so it will only be a couple of seasons.

7 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

I don’t think there is any revenge element. A cup win is no compensation for losing the playoff. I can’t remember the last time we beat a team from a higher division in the cup, so not holding out too much hope. Mind you my memory isn’t that great, so it will only be a couple of seasons.

We beat County in the LC in 2019, which was a particularly surprising result considering we had Gary Caldwell in charge.

For the Scottish Cup, I can't think of one since we beat Inverness on penalties in 2005/06.

For an outright 90 minute victory against a team from a higher division in either Cup (ie. not counting any kind of AET/Pens), I think it's Dundee in the 01/02 Scottish Cup where we won 2-1 at Dens en route to the semis.

2 hours ago, Nightmare said:

We beat County in the LC in 2019, which was a particularly surprising result considering we had Gary Caldwell in charge.

For the Scottish Cup, I can't think of one since we beat Inverness on penalties in 2005/06.

For an outright 90 minute victory against a team from a higher division in either Cup (ie. not counting any kind of AET/Pens), I think it's Dundee in the 01/02 Scottish Cup where we won 2-1 at Dens en route to the semis.

You're correct on all of those. We're a very unremarkable team in the Scottish Cup, we almost never beat teams in leagues above us and almost always beat teams in leagues below us. 

In addition to those mentioned, in the last 35 years the only times we've beaten a team in league above in the Scottish Cup were St Mirren at Love St  in 1989 (2nd tier vs 1st) and Livi at home in 1999 (3rd tier vs 2nd)

The only upsets we've been on the wrong end of in that time were Cowdenbeath at home in 1993 (2nd tier vs 1st) and Dundee away in 1995 (same, though barely a shock give they were flying in the 2nd tier and we were struggling in the league above)

Regarding this game, winning 83-0 wouldn't be revenge for the playoffs and I think the players that are still here know that too. 

Graham has been due to be dropped for a while now and I think this might be the game where it happens, I've been quite down on Robinson but by all accounts he was good off the bench vs Morton and neither Alston nor McInroy have been up to much of late so he could start as well.

Still a few days for Adams to play lower league English signing roulette, so not sure how County will line up or what will happen here

jk, obvs it's County 2 (Murray 90+5, 120+2) 2-1 Thistle (Adeloye, 88)

Edited by Fuctifano

Think it would be worth giving Graham a rest here, and starting Adeloye, possibly Robinson too. Just pray Kris does not start with the McInroy-Alston-Bannigan combination again. Both O’Reilly and McBeth cup-tied for this I think unfortunately. Expect it will be as is at the back. 

17 hours ago, JagsCG said:

Think it would be worth giving Graham a rest here, and starting Adeloye, possibly Robinson too. Just pray Kris does not start with the McInroy-Alston-Bannigan combination again. Both O’Reilly and McBeth cup-tied for this I think unfortunately. Expect it will be as is at the back. 

I think the cup-tied rule is a bit antiquated since there are only 2 windows to sign players. 

6 hours ago, Pete the Jakey said:

Heavy snow in Dingwall today, which had largely avoided us until today.  Rain forecast for tomorrow and Saturday, I reckon this game could be touch and go.

Yeah, I think it’ll be off too.

Hopefully they make the call tomorrow at some point as we are all setting off 9am Saturday and would imagine the team will leave at 7ish, as they didn’t stay over for our most recent ICT game, they left on the day. 

13 minutes ago, BigMadMental said:

Hopefully they make the call tomorrow at some point as we are all setting off 9am Saturday and would imagine the team will leave at 7ish, as they didn’t stay over for our most recent ICT game, they left on the day. 

Team are going up on Friday 

The pitch has been cleared of snow and ploughs are being used to clear the car park and paths around the stadium. Assuming we avoid terrential rain overnight, I think the club are pretty confident this one will be on. 

On 13/01/2024 at 21:02, Matty-RCFC said:

By the time Saturday comes around, we’ll have played 2 games in the last month, none of which in the last 2 weeks and conceded 5 in said matches. We’ll be without our captain (probably a good thing, actually) and there’ll probably be a good few joining/leaving this week adding to the unfamiliarity. There’s also the revenge element of the playoffs. Our Scottish Cup record is fucking woeful, with our last win in Dingwall coming in the 2016/2017 season. I don’t fancy us here at all. 

The line-up could be anything, but with Baldwin out it'll be a back four.

I can't go, so I look forward to what is usually the best edition of Sportscene in the year.

Pure guess:

Wickens

Brown | Nightingale | Leak | Borthwick-Jackson

Allardice | Khela

Sims | Dhanda | Murray

White

I want to see Henderson get a burn in the starting XI, I'm confident he would be more productive in the final third than Sims.

Edited by bunglebonce

1 hour ago, bunglebonce said:

The line-up could be anything, but with Baldwin out it'll be a back four.

I can't go, so I look forward to what is usually the best edition of Sportscene in the year.

Pure guess:

Wickens

Brown | Nightingale | Leak | Borthwick-Jackson

Allardice | Khela

Sims | Dhanda | Murray

White

I want to see Henderson get a burn in the starting XI, I'm confident he would be more productive in the final third than Sims.

Do you reckon he’ll drop Laidlaw? I wouldn’t be surprised and I think it’ll happen eventually; just not sure he’ll do it so quickly.