I don’t mind it.  It’s two Saturdays.  Although I do try and fill the gap with lower league stuff, unfortunately for me my two targeted games were aff at the weekend.

It can break momentum or it can allow a reset so there will be different views.

Just now, ropy said:

I don’t mind it.  It’s two Saturdays.  Although I do try and fill the gap with lower league stuff, unfortunately for me my two targeted games were aff at the weekend.

It can break momentum or it can allow a reset so there will be different views.

I did end up watching Manchester City v Huddersfield which I wouldn’t normally have done.  It was good seeing Brodie Spencer keep the boy Grealish quiet, ended up getting subbed off.

19 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Am I the only one that finds this break a total pita?

We crowbar loads of matches into December when most of us are off the scale busy, then do f**k all fitba for a few weeks in January.

IIRC we only really started it to let Celtic make a few million in some pointless tour of a middle east hellhole*

*last bit may be made up.

I don't mind a wee break, it gives me a chance to focus on the Championship and the teams we might be playing next season - in the top flight of course.

Interesting subject, I'll have a look myself but perhaps a statto guy like @Random Guy could tell us what teams (if any) have turned their season around after the break, maybe Hibs 2013/14 which still brings a smile to my face.

26 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Am I the only one that finds this break a total pita?

We crowbar loads of matches into December when most of us are off the scale busy, then do f**k all fitba for a few weeks in January.

IIRC we only really started it to let Celtic make a few million in some pointless tour of a middle east hellhole*

*last bit may be made up.

IMG_3521.thumb.jpeg.6d95188e84364d21db4423be6581ac1d.jpeg

“we were NOT on ‘a jolly’”

Strikes me as something we do because they do it other places and it makes us feel sophisticated and clever.

Having a break misses that we are a nation with a 38-game league season and two national cup competitions. Unlike, say, Italy (one cup), Germany (34 games and one cup), and France (who binned their League Cup as well as having a 34 game top flight). The English League Cup is on borrowed time, as is their 20-team top flight. They shouldn't be having a break just now either.

We seem to defeat the purpose by squeezing in as many gmes as we can in December, which can't be good for the legs. And then we have the issue of postponment. Aberdeen are already three games behind Hearts, for example, and this break just squeezes that schedule further.

Like VAR, it's something we're doing because the big boys do it and we want to look clever. But there's no real rationale for us doing so.

Edited by VincentGuerin

4 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Strikes me as something we do because they do it other places and it makes us feel sophisticated and clever.

Having a break misses that we are a nation with a 38-game league season and two national cup competitions. Unlike, say, Italy, Germany, and France (who binned their League Cup as well as having a 34 game top flight). The English League Cup is on borrowed time, as is their 20-team top flight. They shouldn't be having a break just now either.

We seem to defeat the purpose by squeezing in as many gmes as we can in December, which can't be good for the legs. And then we have the issue of postponment. Aberdeen are already three games behind Hearts, for example, and this break just squeezes that schedule further.

Like VAR, it's something we're doing because the big boys do it and we want to look clever. But there's no real rationale for us doing so.

They aren't having a break though, it was FA Cup weekend.   

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

There is a break. They are spreading one match day over 2 weeks 

I'm not sure I understand your point.  They played over the New Year weekend and will play this weekend coming.  The middle weekend was FA Cup and even League Cup for a few teams in between.  A less hectic schedule than usual, maybe but not sure I'd call it a break.

I don't mind the break in principle to soften the demand on players, however it's completely pointless when you're cramming all those games into December to accommodate it. Add to that that you end up with some of those getting postponed, you could end up with players going straight into the first game back in the Scottish Cup game having not played competitively for a month.

Edited by LiviLion

24 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I'm not sure I understand your point.  They played over the New Year weekend and will play this weekend coming.  The middle weekend was FA Cup and even League Cup for a few teams in between.  A less hectic schedule than usual, maybe but not sure I'd call it a break.

Only half the teams play this weekend, the other half play the week after. Gives every team one week off in January. It isn’t much of a break but it is a break nonetheless. 

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

Only half the teams play this weekend, the other half play the week after. Gives every team one week off in January. It isn’t much of a break but it is a break nonetheless. 

I knew it was a lighter schedule than usual based on the TV schedule I looked at but hadn't really thought of it as a break per se.  

1 minute ago, hk blues said:

I knew it was a lighter schedule than usual based on the TV schedule I looked at but hadn't really thought of it as a break per se.  

Well, I don’t have the energy to argue it as a break so we can settle on lighter schedule if you wish. 

Bin the nonsensical break which only really benefits the bigots, more midweek fixtures in August/Sept and finish the season early May and restart in August. Give players and supporters a proper summer break to recharge batteries. None of this Cup Final in June, season starts again in July garbage. 

12 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

Bin the nonsensical break which only really benefits the bigots, more midweek fixtures in August/Sept and finish the season early May and restart in August. Give players and supporters a proper summer break to recharge batteries. None of this Cup Final in June, season starts again in July garbage. 

I don't have a massive problem with that as a concept. I think the Polish league used to (maybe still does) do something like that. A short summer break, allowing them to make the most of the decent weather, then a long mid-season break through the winter.

Admittedly, their winter is worse than ours (and their summer better), but I don't think that's a dreadful way to run things.

The problem we've got is that we have this daft wee break which just creates more congestion elsewhere and solves no real problems. Poland has a 34-games league season with one cup competition. Polish top-flight clubs can play no more than 40 domestic games a season. In Scotland that's 47 for teams who qualify for Europe, with the other teams adding the League Cup groups. It's a classic example of Scottish fitba being impressed by the suave continentals and not thinking it through.

Before the Scottish Cup and Polish Cup are considered, Hearts are already going to play seven more domestic matches than Wisla Krakow this season. There's your issue.

Edited by VincentGuerin

51 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Having a break misses that we are a nation with a 38-game league season and two national cup competitions. Unlike, say, Italy (one cup), Germany (34 games and one cup), and France (who binned their League Cup as well as having a 34 game top flight). The English League Cup is on borrowed time, as is their 20-team top flight. They shouldn't be having a break just now either.

That's Scottish football in a nutshell.  Having one of the Big 5 leagues next door is unquestionably a bad thing.