Unjustifiable now IMO when means cramming midweeks into December + February, especially when you've clubs jetting off on training camps, or in Rangers case filling half with friendlies. It's rationale was "giving players a holiday"... that clearly isn't happening, or to such limited extents that outweighing the benefit of less 'intensity' either side must be doubtful.

They don't have it in rest of UK (in England it's 1 free Saturday halved over 2 weekends)... Italy and Portugal have scrapped theirs... others like Greece and Spain have reduced it to basically just festive holiday(s) which isn't our tradition... with 4 more UEFA midweeks to accommodate next season: scrap it.

We've already lost Scottish Cup replays.

Edited by HibeeJibee

2 hours ago, Spikethedee said:

Would rather see more midweeks in August/September used, than trying to cram almost 1/5 of the season into December & the New Year week. 

2 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

Bin the nonsensical break which only really benefits the bigots, more midweek fixtures in August/Sept and finish the season early May and restart in August. Give players and supporters a proper summer break to recharge batteries. None of this Cup Final in June, season starts again in July garbage. 

Tbf all midweeks until shortly before Christmas are already used up - mostly for UEFA competitions plus internationals.

Next season the midweeks of our League Cup QFs in September; immediately before Christmas; and last 2 in January also go to UEFA (though in 2 cases they only use Wed-Thu and in 1 case Thu only):

Wed 24 Jul        UEFA qualifiers
Wed 31 Jul        UEFA qualifiers
Wed 07 Aug      UEFA qualifiers
Wed 14 Aug      UEFA qualifiers
Wed 21 Aug      UEFA qualifiers
Wed 28 Aug      UEFA qualifiers
Wed 04 Sep       international break
Wed 11 Sep       international break
Wed 18 Sep       UEFA groupstage
Wed 25 Sep       UEFA groupstage (Wed+Thu only)     currently used for our League Cup QFs
Wed 02 Oct       UEFA groupstage
Wed 09 Oct       international break
Wed 16 Oct       international break
Wed 23 Oct       UEFA groupstage
Wed 30 Oct       currently used for our Premiership
Wed 06 Nov      UEFA groupstage
Wed 13 Nov      international break
Wed 20 Nov      international break
Wed 27 Nov      UEFA groupstage
Wed 04 Dec      currently used for our Premiership
Wed 11 Dec      UEFA groupstage
Wed 18 Dec      UEFA groupstage (Thu only)
Wed 25 Dec      currently used for our Premiership
Wed 01 Jan       currently used for our Premiership
Wed 08 Jan       currently part of our winter break
Wed 15 Jan       currently part of our winter break
Wed 22 Jan      UEFA groupstage
Wed 29 Jan      UEFA groupstage (Wed+Thu only)
Wed 05 Feb      currently used for our Premiership
Wed 12 Feb      UEFA knockouts
Wed 19 Feb      UEFA knockouts
Wed 26 Feb      currently used for our Premiership
Wed 05 Mar      UEFA knockouts
Wed 12 Mar      UEFA knockouts
Wed 19 Mar      international break
Wed 26 Mar      international break
Wed 02 Apr       currently unused in Scotland
Wed 09 Apr       UEFA knockouts
Wed 16 Apr       UEFA knockouts
Wed 23 Apr       currently unused in Scotland
Wed 30 Apr       UEFA knockouts
Wed 07 May      UEFA knockouts
Wed 14 May      currently used for our Premiership

Edited by HibeeJibee

I have no issue with a winter break conceptually, doesn’t bother me having a few weeks off. 

However, as has been mentioned it doesn’t make sense with our existing calendar. This may be my old age but my view is there’s just far too much football to be played in general in too short a period. We give ourselves absolutely no breathing space. 

26 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Unjustifiable now IMO when means cramming midweeks into December + February, especially when you've clubs jetting off on training camps, or in Rangers case filling half with friendlies. It's rationale was "giving players a holiday"... that clearly isn't happening, or to such limited extents that outweighing the benefit of less 'intensity' either side must be doubtful.

They don't have it in rest of UK (in England it's 1 free Saturday halved over 2 weekends)... Italy and Portugal have scrapped theirs... others like Greece and Spain have reduced it to basically just festive holiday(s) which isn't our tradition... with 4 more UEFA midweeks to accommodate next season: scrap it.

We've already lost Scottish Cup replays.

That's a good thing.  It brings more chances of an upset on the day and it reduces the fixture pile up in the new year for everyone.

2 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

I think the Polish league used to (maybe still does) do something like that. A short summer break, allowing them to make the most of the decent weather, then a long mid-season break through the winter.

They still do. As does almost every Eastern European league.

I think the rest of the countries in Europe that run an autumn to spring season have a winter break of a couple of weeks at least, with the exception of England.

4 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

They still do. As does almost every Eastern European league.

I think the rest of the countries in Europe that run an autumn to spring season have a winter break of a couple of weeks at least, with the exception of England.

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952pigusuexs894z2a21wa

Polish domestic season runs from late July to late May; their league season is slightly longer than ours (it starts midway through our League Cup groups and ends the weekend of our cup final as they play theirs on May Day weekend) - but in total overall season is actually 1 week shorter than ours. They do take a winter break: late December to early February.

There is no winter break in England, Northern Ireland, Wales, Italy, Portugal or Israel. In several other countries it's just a traditional stoppage for Christmas and/or New Year e.g. in Greece the last games were Thu 21st Dec then first games back were Wed 3rd Jan; in Spain last games Sat 23rd Dec then back Tue 2nd Jan; in Turkey it is just New Year weekend.

The break is just another disruption to an already start stop schedule badly hit by international breaks. Also, when a club goes out of a cup competition early, you can add in even more blank weekends. I'm totally against it and the bullshit reason for it. 

I'm happy with the break, gives us the chance to reset, bring in new players, having double or even triple training sessions in warmer climes, and having the chance to get new players bedded in with the team before competitive games start back up.

Ok i may just be desperately clinging onto hope we can improve and not get relegated, but at the very least it gives me a 2 week break to forget how pish we are and revive my dwindling enthusiasm for going to watch us play.

No need for a winter break, as there will be a few p-p games over the winter, plus bad weather could stretch into February at times. International breaks just as stupid, should only be clubs with players on duty tbh. Midweek games Aug/Sept could help, plus too many various cup(s) across all levels of Scottish football. 

I'd quite like it in the Championship, a wee break when life is busy and expensive. 

Mid December to mid January off (in terms of fixtures would have finished after matches on 16 December and return for either the cup matches on 20 January or this weekend's league matches on 12 January - presuming a Friday fixture).  

It's a fucking nonsense that we can't schedule league games for midweeks in August, September, October etc because of UEFA competitions.  Sorry lads, you can't have Motherwell v Kilmarnock or Ross County v St. Mirren because Real Madrid are playing Lyon on the telly.  Get that rule to f**k.

It would mean we could lighten the load in late November/December, somewhat, when the weather gets worse.  Still have fixtures up to Boxing Day and New Years Day, then have a three week break, coming back at the end of January for the Scottish Cup. 

2 minutes ago, Desp said:

It's a fucking nonsense that we can't schedule league games for midweeks in August, September, October etc because of UEFA competitions.  Sorry lads, you can't have Motherwell v Kilmarnock or Ross County v St. Mirren because Real Madrid are playing Lyon on the telly.  Get that rule to f**k.

It would mean we could lighten the load in late November/December, somewhat, when the weather gets worse.  Still have fixtures up to Boxing Day and New Years Day, then have a three week break, coming back at the end of January for the Scottish Cup. 

Why have a three week break mid season at all ? Who's it for ? What does it achieve ? Am I the only one who thinks the summer close season is too short ? That's why players are knackered and that's where an extra three week break should go . 

1 minute ago, kennie makevin said:

Why have a three week break mid season at all ? Who's it for ? What does it achieve ? Am I the only one who thinks the summer close season is too short ? That's why players are knackered and that's where an extra three week break should go . 

You could be right.  The summer season is definitely too short and maybe if we played more midweeks during late summer/early autumn, it would take away the need for any mid-season break.

In terms of "who's it for?", I'm sure the players would be in favour of a break in January, the average punter might be happy with a couple of weeks off from paying daft ticket prices to sit/stand in the cold at a time of year when many are skint, but there's definitely changes that need to be made to sort out the football calendar that could benefit everyone.

On 09/01/2024 at 10:35, LiviLion said:

I don't mind the break in principle to soften the demand on players, however it's completely pointless when you're cramming all those games into December to accommodate it. Add to that that you end up with some of those getting postponed, you could end up with players going straight into the first game back in the Scottish Cup game having not played competitively for a month.

Basically this. The purpose is suitably defeated.