The 2024 NFL Draft

lichtie23

The 2024 NFL Draft will take place in Detroit, Michigan on the 25th to 27th of April. 

Who will be the first player off the board? Will the Bears trade away Justin Fields and take another QB? Or will they trade away the pick to a QB needy team like the Giants. Some of the expected top talent are listed below 

Caleb Williams, QB, USC

Drake Maye, QB, North Carolina

Marvin Harrison Jnr, WR , Ohio State

Jayden Daniels, QB, LSU

Malik Nabers, WR, LSU

Joe Alt, OT, Notre Dame,

Olu Fashanu, OT, Penn State

Laiatu Latu, DE, LSU

Dallas Turner, DE, Alabama

And who can forget the best name in the draft…….Kool-Aid McKinstrey, CB, Alabama.

Draft season is always full of drama, intrigue and rumours! I love it 

Chargers desperately need a decent outside CB, but #5 is far too high to take McKinstry or Wiggins and I don't think they should pass on Nabers assuming he's there at #5.

I don't see OT as an option because Alt and Fashanu are LT's, the Chargers already have an elite LT who is coming up for extension and will want paid like a LT, so they can't switch Slater without causing a headache and you don't draft a guy at #5 to play RT.

Nabers or a trade-down to #10'ish.

The Jets really screwed themselves with that meaningless win over the Patriots at the weekend. Dropped from the 6th pick to the 10th.

Not that it matters, because the GM is entirely incompetent and will probably waste it anyway. Even if he gets the first round pick right because someone good falls in his lap, he'll get nothing of value on day 2 or day 3.

6 hours ago, Iain said:

The Jets really screwed themselves with that meaningless win over the Patriots at the weekend. Dropped from the 6th pick to the 10th.

Not that it matters, because the GM is entirely incompetent and will probably waste it anyway. Even if he gets the first round pick right because someone good falls in his lap, he'll get nothing of value on day 2 or day 3.

If you're judging him on the basis of numerous failures at getting a franchise QB I'd definitely agree with you.

Turning the defence into an above average unit, while drafting the likes of Sauce Gardner, Garret Wilson and Breece Hall isn't too shabby.

See New England if you want to see bad drafts!!

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

If you're judging him on the basis of numerous failures at getting a franchise QB I'd definitely agree with you.

Turning the defence into an above average unit, while drafting the likes of Sauce Gardner, Garret Wilson and Breece Hall isn't too shabby.

See New England if you want to see bad drafts!!

I think he gets credit for Sauce and Wilson and he did extend Quinnen and acquire JFM and Quincy cheaply. DJ Reed was a good free agent signing.

Unfortunately that's about all that's worked for him. He's continually failed to put even a league average OL on the field either through relying on players with high injury risk or paying the wrong guys. Out of four draft classes he's only picked six players who've made any impact (Carter II, Vera-Tucker, Gardner, G.Wilson, Johnson, Hall) and he's wasted the second overall pick in a draft, which most GMs don't get to come back from. Almost all of his free agent signings have been poor. His roster management has been dubious at best. He inherited the 31st ranked offense in the NFL and over five years has developed it into the 32nd ranked offense in the NFL.

The defense is good, but Sauce is the only draft choice he's made in four drafts who starts in the base defense. Add Carter II if you consider nickel to be the primary alignment.

There's just no reason to think he's going to start drafting well this year, particularly on days 2 & 3.

I will be very happy if he breaks the trends this offseason 😀

4 minutes ago, Iain said:

I think he gets credit for Sauce and Wilson and he did extend Quinnen and acquire JFM and Quincy cheaply. DJ Reed was a good free agent signing.

Unfortunately that's about all that's worked for him. He's continually failed to put even a league average OL on the field either through relying on players with high injury risk or paying the wrong guys. Out of four draft classes he's only picked six players who've made any impact (Carter II, Vera-Tucker, Gardner, G.Wilson, Johnson, Hall) and he's wasted the second overall pick in a draft, which most GMs don't get to come back from. Almost all of his free agent signings have been poor. His roster management has been dubious at best. He inherited the 31st ranked offense in the NFL and over five years has developed it into the 32nd ranked offense in the NFL.

The defense is good, but Sauce is the only draft choice he's made in four drafts who starts in the base defense. Add Carter II if you consider nickel to be the primary alignment.

There's just no reason to think he's going to start drafting well this year, particularly on days 2 & 3.

I will be very happy if he breaks the trends this offseason 😀

That's fair enough and you still have Aaron Rodgers calling on the team to cut out the noise and the distractions.

Despite him being on McAfee's show all the time and probably causing the biggest distractions!

30 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

That's fair enough and you still have Aaron Rodgers calling on the team to cut out the noise and the distractions.

Despite him being on McAfee's show all the time and probably causing the biggest distractions!

Yeah, I try to tune out his off field stuff 😬

Yeah, I can see the first 8 or 9 picks of the draft being offensive players. Very few D players look like blue chippers. Latu, Turner, Newton perhaps, but the overall quality of the top defensive players just isn't there compared to most drafts. CB is really weak compared to 2023. There is only one real TE of note after a glut of them last year, although in fairness Bowers looks like he could become something really special in the right situation. 

Edited by Boo Khaki

• 2 weeks later...

2024 NFL Draft Order (* fixed)

1. Chicago Bears, 7-10 (from Carolina Panthers, 2-15) *
  2. Washington Commanders, 4-13 *
  3. New England Patriots, 4-13 *
  4. Arizona Cardinals, 4-13 *
  5. Los Angeles Chargers, 5-12 *
  6. New York Giants, 6-11 *
  7. Tennessee Titans, 6-11 *
  8. Atlanta Falcons, 7-10 * 
  9. Chicago Bears, 7-10 *
  10. New York Jets, 7-10 *
  11. Minnesota Vikings, 7-10 *
  12. Denver Broncos, 8-9 *
  13. Las Vegas Raiders, 8-9 *
  14. New Orleans Saints, 9-8 *
  15. Indianapolis Colts, 9-8 *
  16. Seattle Seahawks, 9-8 *
  17. Jacksonville Jaguars, 9-8 *
  18. Cincinnati Bengals, 9-8 *
  19. Los Angeles Rams, 10-7 *
  20. Pittsburgh Steelers, 10-7 *
  21. Miami Dolphins, 11-6 *
  22. Philadelphia Eagles, 11-6 *
  23. Houston Texans, 10-7 (From Cleveland Browns, 11-6) *
  24. Dallas Cowboys, 12-5 *
  25. Green Bay Packers, 9-8*
  26. Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 9-8*
  27. Arizona Cardinals, 4-13 (from Houston Texans, 10-7)*
  28. Buffalo Bills, 11-6*
  29. Kansas City Chiefs, 11-6
  30. Detroit Lions, 12-5
  31. San Francisco 49ers, 12-5
  32. Baltimore Ravens, 13-4

• 1 month later...

95% of QB'ing is brain and arm, hence why guys like Peyton Manning and Philip Rivers can succeed while "athletes" crash and burn in the Pros. Teams need to stop falling in love with college QB's whose only real stand out ability is to be able to run 4.5. I think the penny will drop eventually, because there's only so many Michael Vicks and Kyler Murrays can happen before you have to acknowledge that no, the NFL is a passing league so your QB can't be elite without being an elite pocket passer, and accept none of these guys is going to "revolutionise" the position. It's great if your QB is mobile, but it's not mandatory, and it certainly shouldn't be prioritised over the ability to stand in a dirty pocket and throw a 5 yard out that hits the WR in the numbers time after time. It's not like these guys are anything new. The exact same pish was spouted about Randall Cunningham, then Vick, and both of those guys were far better QB's late in their careers when they stopped taking off as soon as the first read was covered and learned to stay in the pocket like a conventional QB. People raved about Vick's arm at the time he was drafted, but ignored the fact that being able to throw it 70 yards in a non-game environment is pointless when he couldn't make simple throws that went outside the numbers with any consistency. Until that stops being QB bread and butter, then nothing is going to change with regard to what actually matters when it comes to QB's. If you draft 10 Brock Purdys and 10 Michael Vicks, I'd stake my life on the Purdy's winning many more Superbowls by the time their careers are over. I always contend Superbowl wins are a team stat and not a reflection on individual QB's, but that is in the context of people claiming Superbowl win numbers is indicative of the quality of a QB. It's nonsense, because that's a Dilfer >>> Marino argument, but where it is relevant is that with a poor QB it's almost impossible to even get to a SB because that requires performing over 19-20 games as a minimum, and I think it's telling that none of these run-first guys have ever won one as a starting QB, and in fact, most of them never even got close. Dilfer won because of the quality of the team around him, Marino never did because of the quality of the teams around him, but all that emphasises to me is that mediocre QB's can't win without having an outstanding roster to pick up the slack, and that stays true when you factor in QB's with great wheels who are mediocre pocket-passers. Drafting the 4.5 guys and hoping you can develop them to be able to do the simple QB'ing stuff is a nonsense. They should have that nailed by High-school, and if they aren't doing it by 20-21 it's unlikely to ever happen. It took Cunningham and Vick into their mid-30's for it to "click", and only then because the running ability had declined somewhat. Draft the Purdy, and construct the team around him instead of trying to mould a guy into something he'll never be.

Edited by Boo Khaki

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

95% of QB'ing is brain and arm, hence why guys like Peyton Manning and Philip Rivers can succeed while "athletes" crash and burn in the Pros. Teams need to stop falling in love with college QB's whose only real stand out ability is to be able to run 4.5. I think the penny will drop eventually, because there's only so many Michael Vicks and Kyler Murrays can happen before you have to acknowledge that no, the NFL is a passing league so your QB can't be elite without being an elite pocket passer, and accept none of these guys is going to "revolutionise" the position. It's great if your QB is mobile, but it's not mandatory, and it certainly shouldn't be prioritised over the ability to stand in a dirty pocket and throw a 5 yard out that hits the WR in the numbers time after time. It's not like these guys are anything new. The exact same pish was spouted about Randall Cunningham, then Vick, and both of those guys were far better QB's late in their careers when they stopped taking off as soon as the first read was covered and learned to stay in the pocket like a conventional QB. People raved about Vick's arm at the time he was drafted, but ignored the fact that being able to throw it 70 yards in a non-game environment is pointless when he couldn't make simple throws that went outside the numbers with any consistency. Until that stops being QB bread and butter, then nothing is going to change with regard to what actually matters when it comes to QB's. If you draft 10 Brock Purdys and 10 Michael Vicks, I'd stake my life on the Purdy's winning many more Superbowls by the time their careers are over. I always contend Superbowl wins are a team stat and not a reflection on individual QB's, but that is in the context of people claiming Superbowl win numbers is indicative of the quality of a QB. It's nonsense, because that's a Dilfer >>> Marino argument, but where it is relevant is that with a poor QB it's almost impossible to even get to a SB because that requires performing over 19-20 games as a minimum, and I think it's telling that none of these run-first guys have ever won one as a starting QB, and in fact, most of them never even got close. Dilfer won because of the quality of the team around him, Marino never did because of the quality of the teams around him, but all that emphasises to me is that mediocre QB's can't win without having an outstanding roster to pick up the slack, and that stays true when you factor in QB's with great wheels who are mediocre pocket-passers. Drafting the 4.5 guys and hoping you can develop them to be able to do the simple QB'ing stuff is a nonsense. They should have that nailed by High-school, and if they aren't doing it by 20-21 it's unlikely to ever happen. It took Cunningham and Vick into their mid-30's for it to "click", and only then because the running ability had declined somewhat. Draft the Purdy, and construct the team around him instead of trying to mould a guy into something he'll never be.

The combine has it's uses for certain positions, but I posted that just to show that the vast majority of the tests are useless when it comes to Qbs in particular. Speed of thought much more important than speed of feet ove 40 yards.