The 2024 NFL Draft

lichtie23

6 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Seen that, his first one was 4.25. The lad is quick.

For that reason alone I guarantee he’s jump up many teams boards. If Al Davis was still with us he would be trading up to the number 1 pick to get him

Just now, lichtie23 said:

For that reason alone I guarantee he’s jump up many teams boards. If Al Davis was still with us he would be trading up to the number 1 pick to get him

Yeah, his college stats for last season are pretty good too...

Screenshot_20240303_100151_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.adcbc8a30bac4e67ff5f9c81bf267027.jpg

I've saw him live twice and he was very impressive for Texas.

First time he had Bijan Robinson in the team and still looked good.

second time he was the stand out but I hated him as there was a wee guy behind me who insisted in full naming him every single play... thankfully he never did it on defence.

Pretty sure he was the return guy too.

Bears rapidly running out of prospective partners to offload Fields on to.

I think there is some truth to the line that most teams don't see him as offering anything over and above Lock or Darnold, and its not just spiel to drive down his price. 

I don't think the Bears will be keen to send him to Minnesota, so I can see him getting dealt to somewhere like LV or Seattle for a pittance, maybe even on draft day.

4 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Bears rapidly running out of prospective partners to offload Fields on to.

I think there is some truth to the line that most teams don't see him as offering anything over and above Lock or Darnold, and its not just spiel to drive down his price. 

I don't think the Bears will be keen to send him to Minnesota, so I can see him getting dealt to somewhere like LV or Seattle for a pittance, maybe even on draft day.

The other problem is that whoever signs him needs to decide whether to give him a new deal by about May.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting that Malik Nabers' production is more or less identical to Jamarr Chase, and now his Pro-day measurables are also more or less identical.

I think there is a genuine discussion to be had about who is and should be the #1 WR on the board.

From a Chargers point of view I think worst case scenario is NE taking MHJ because then AZ has the option of taking Nabers, or looking for a trade back which they can extort a premium for purely because there is still a #1-type blue chip WR talent waiting there to be taken. Lots of chatter about Minn trading 11 & 23 to trade up and take a QB at #5, but if that's in a scenario where Nabers is still on the board then I think Jim Harbaugh is correct, and the Chargers should only bite on that if there is a stupid offer on the table like 11, 23, and a #1 in 2025. With no Nabers on the board I think the asking price is a lot lower, and without that ridiculous offer I'd probably rather just stand pat and take MN at #5

Also curious that more and more mocks are suggesting Jayden Daniels is now consensus #2 QB on the board, with Maye slipping to perhaps the middle of the round or lower. That's a complete reversal of where they were pre-Combine. JJ McCarthy also seems to be scooting up most people's boards, but I can't see it myself and I think a lot of that might just be the usual smoke and mirrors. I think McCarthy is another low-ceiling guy like Mac Jones was coming out, and I can't see anyone going crazy and taking him over Daniels or Maye.

Mel Kiper thinks this is the most unpredictable draft in the 40'odd years he's been covering it, and he also thinks it's one of the most talent-rich.

Kool-aid has been tanking consistently since Christmas, and so is Keon Coleman. One other guy who seems like he could either go top 10 or 3rd round is Latu. Some chat that his medicals aren't clean enough for anyone to drop a 1st and he'll slide to the back end of day 2. I really like what I've seen of him in highlights, so I think that if it's true he slides but he manages to stay healthy in the NFL, then some team is going to bag an absolute steal.

Edited by Boo Khaki

4 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

How do people normally watch the draft, is it covered by sky sports? 

Got some flexi time for work so might take the Friday off to watch it. 

Aye sky sports have coverage. All 3 days IIRC

Assume it is on at a silly time for us. I will record and try to avoid reading about it in advance (though it's pretty obvious who Da Bears will be drafting first).

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

I thoroughly enjoy the NFL but the the mock draft stuff doesn't do much for me. It seems like every journo or media outlet is or has an "expert" who is used to provide "stories" for weeks if not months. Is there any kind of site that matches all these mocks with what actually happens at the draft itself? It just seems like noise designed to keep people interested during a very long off season, which I suppose is inevitable when you go from early Feb until September with no actual action.

I tried watching the draft last year and, man, was it boring.

I love the first few rounds. Gets a bit dull when it's guys you've never heard of though, so tend to not watch much of Day 3. Even more so as Bears current last pick is at 122.

Think will start about 1am on Friday morning and about midnight for the 2nd Round.

Usually around then anyway.

3 hours ago, azazel said:

I thoroughly enjoy the NFL but the the mock draft stuff doesn't do much for me. It seems like every journo or media outlet is or has an "expert" who is used to provide "stories" for weeks if not months. Is there any kind of site that matches all these mocks with what actually happens at the draft itself? It just seems like noise designed to keep people interested during a very long off season, which I suppose is inevitable when you go from early Feb until September with no actual action.

I tried watching the draft last year and, man, was it boring.

There is something that grades who the most accurate mock journos were. Think a guy for that Underdog Fantasy Football site, waste most accurate last time.

Even if they are correct about who goes where, there are so many variables about whether moves work out. 

You'll always see an article around December about "can't believe player X went at <low 20s> pick when player Y was still there" 

From about round 4 I'm just looking to draft guys with the funniest names and hope one of them turns out to be a starter.