Africa Cup of Nations 2023

BFTD

13 hours ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

That's an outstanding stat

I suppose it’s not hugely surprising when you split the world into confederations (and the World Cup itself) and consider the teams that will nearly always make the last 8

In the euros we have England, Spain, France, Italy and Germany and to a lesser extent Netherlands, Portugal and more recently Croatia and Belgium. Not all of them will make it individually but it would be a shock if any less then 5 or 6 of the QFists at one tournament come from that list.

South American Brazil and Argentina (and in any case it’s mathematically impossible for the copa America to have entirely different QFists)

Asia has two Far Eastern giants in Japan and South Korea, two Middle Eastern giants Iran and Saudi, then they’ve had Australia for the best part of 20 years now. In general these 5 are miles ahead of the rest of the continent.

North America has USA and Mexico. Oceania has New Zealand.

The World Cup itself you can take the European teams I listed plus Brazil and Argentina and you’ve likely named 5+ QFists at most tournaments. 

Africa is probably the only continent that has 15-20 nations that are legitimately capable of being a top 3-5 nation on the continent during a decent run of form. 

23 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

The World Cup itself you can take the European teams I listed plus Brazil and Argentina and you’ve likely named 5+ QFists at most tournaments. 

There was only one returning quarter-finalist in 1994, and two in 2002. I've gone through the last nine World Cups and none had had more than half the nations making a repeat visit to the quarters. These things aren't as nailed on as they seem.

What are we down to now, four prior winners? Of those, you wouldn't have listed the DRC or South Africa among the favourites before the tournament.

Nothing against them, but hopefully this doesn't come down to Nigeria v Ivory Coast in the final - this tournament could do with a new champion.

2 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Where’s the Ivory Coast game? 

I assume you posted that during the black hole that is the UK football broadcasting blackout between 1430-1715 on Saturdays

I'm really starting to dislike ivory coast

4 minutes ago, highlandmac said:

I assume you posted that during the black hole that is the UK football broadcasting blackout between 1430-1715 on Saturdays

I'm really starting to dislike ivory coast

Aye. I completely forgot about that daft rule 

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

Aye. I completely forgot about that daft rule 

I wouldn't mind so much if sky actually advertised it as "live broadcast from 1715"but instead they advertise the game,you tune in&get confused because you're getting the league scores coming in instead of the game

1 hour ago, highlandmac said:

I wouldn't mind so much if sky actually advertised it as "live broadcast from 1715"but instead they advertise the game,you tune in&get confused because you're getting the league scores coming in instead of the game

The thing is the 3pm blackout shouldn't effect AFCON as it only applies to games within UEFA's countries