Africa Cup of Nations 2023

BFTD

On 13/01/2024 at 19:14, lichtie23 said:

I don’t know why…..but I absolutely love this tournament! Love the madness of it.

Shite keepers ✅ 

Bright kits ✅ 

Incompetent officials ✅

Corruption allegations ✅

Overly enthusiastic supporters ✅

Terrible pitches/stadiums ✅

I can’t wait 😀

Tbf I think the officials have overall been pretty good at the tournament getting most of the big decisions right and the pitches have all been fine as well in impressive stadiums. Seen a few goalkeeping errors but not sure you see significantly more at AFCON than you do anywhere else.

4 hours ago, Buckets said:

Tbf I think the officials have overall been pretty good at the tournament getting most of the big decisions right and the pitches have all been fine as well in impressive stadiums. Seen a few goalkeeping errors but not sure you see significantly more at AFCON than you do anywhere else.

But why let these actual facts get in the way of a good set of clichés?

4 minutes ago, untitled00 said:

Nigeria taking the lead - pleasing.

Also pretty convinced that stadium is over capacity

William Troost-Ekong a Tottenham Hotspur academy player, no less.  Another one who leaves us and (possibly) wins a trophy...

17 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Pretty incredible that Ivory Coast sacked their manager in the middle of the tournament and still won it all

This should encourage more ruthlessness at all levels of football. No chance they win that without sacking him.

Good tournament - flagged a bit at the quarter-final stage when all the plucky outsiders punched themselves out, but that's just what happens, isn't it.

Nigeria were a totally different team in the final; I guess they must have been knackered. They played the last ten minutes of the game like they forgot they were losing.