Africa Cup of Nations 2023

BFTD

6 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Just went to turn on Senegal v Gambia and Sky Sports feed is down. Peak AFCON.

It was down for ages too. Gave up after about 20 mins and watched some Asian Cup on the second-rate wrestling channel instead.

Peak AFCON possibly at Algeria v Angola, where some baldy p***k keeps standing up right in front of the camera. Can't remember ever getting the view blocked by a massive napper on the TV before.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

It was down for ages too. Gave up after about 20 mins and watched some Asian Cup on the second-rate wrestling channel instead.

Peak AFCON possibly at Algeria v Angola, where some baldy p***k keeps standing up right in front of the camera. Can't remember ever getting the view blocked by a massive napper on the TV before.

Strong Scotsport: Football First vibes that

2 minutes ago, Ray Patterson said:

Strong Scotsport: Football First vibes that

Reminded me a bit of these adverts, only facing the other way.

27 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

These two on commentary tonight are a refreshing change. 

Aye, they have been great. Talking the game up and being knowledgable as well.

I had no idea all teams at this tournament have qualified for an AFCON before until they mentioned it

Only a very small number of African countries haven't qualified for the tournament at some point - only 10 out of 54 have never made it (Central African Republic, Chad, Djibouti, Eritrea, Eswatini, Lesotho, Sao Tome & Principe, Seychelles, Somalia and South Sudan).

Edited by craigkillie

53 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Only a very small number of African countries haven't qualified for the tournament at some point - only 10 out of 54 have never made it (Central African Republic, Chad, Djibouti, Eritrea, Eswatini, Lesotho, Sao Tome & Principe, Seychelles, Somalia and South Sudan).

Not really surprising, most of those are tiny, South Sudan has only been a country for a decade and at war for most of that and the CAR and Somalia are failed states, and Eritrea makes North Korea look like Disneyland.

I'm still not convinced that 24 teams every two years is the best format - I think maybe 24 every four and a AFCON Super Cup every two with maybe the best 8 teams would be better.

Edited by Ray Patterson

Commentary has generally been much better than what we normally get. I remember the South African streams I was watching last time out had better commentators/pundits too.

Cracking result for Namibia yesterday, and they deserved it. That's been the story of several of the surprise results so far - it's not that the big boys have been necessarily shite, but that the less fancied nations have been much better than expected. Well, that we would have expected - the commentators haven't seemed terribly surprised. These things always seem to settle down by the end of the tournament, but it would be great if the wee nations kicked everyone's arses for once.