Africa Cup of Nations 2023

BFTD

Great game, very enjoyable tournament so far. Don't usually see too much about it in the uk media unless its a goalkeeping error or poor referee decision or something else to demean the tournament with. 

With defending like that, South Africa should just invade Mozambique.

Great end to the Cameroon game, they're making life tough for themselves but should probably go through still.

The noise started at 7am here in Guinea, it's all anyone's talking about.

Afcon 2023: Tanzania suspend manager Adel Amrouche after eight-match Caf ban - BBC Sport

Tanzania have suspended manager Adel Amrouche after he was given an eight-match ban by the Confederation of African Football (CAF). The sanction was imposed after officials from the Royal Moroccan Football Federation (RMFF) contacted CAF to complain about remarks made by Amrouche.

The two countries met in Group F at the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations on Wednesday, with Morocco winning 3-0 after Tanzania had Novatus Miroshi sent off.

A statement from the Tanzania Football Federation (TFF) said it had suspended Amrouche after the coach's pre-tournament comments about "Morocco having influence in Caf, to manipulate the match scheduling and officiating". Amrouche had criticised the RMFF's influence over the African game before Afcon kicked off.

Hemed Suleiman Ali has been placed in interim charge of the Taifa Stars, with the help of Juma Mgunda.

7 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

AFCON 2023?

They've been abbreviating it to AFCON for decades, and the CAF decided it was to be 2023 despite taking place wholly in 2024, much like Euro 2020. It was originally supposed to take place last summer.

Just thought I'd cover all bases there  :P

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

They've been abbreviating it to AFCON for decades, and the CAF decided it was to be 2023 despite taking place wholly in 2024, much like Euro 2020. It was originally supposed to take place last summer.

Just thought I'd cover all bases there  :P

Right. It was the 2023 that I wasn't sure about. 

The Asian Cup is also going under 2023, that must've been delayed also. 

4 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Right. It was the 2023 that I wasn't sure about. 

The Asian Cup is also going under 2023, that must've been delayed also. 

I hadn't even noticed that - apparently it was supposed to be in China, who pulled out due to COVID, so it was given to Qatar in 2022, but it couldn't take place in the summer for the same reason the last World Cup couldn't, so it was pushed back too. I did wonder how Qatar were getting to host another Asian Cup so soon, but naturally assumed the answer was just "money".

Also noticed that one of the reasons given for why it was pushed back was because Qatar would be busy competing in the Gold Cup when the Asian Cup would've been on, which is pretty amusing - imagine Greece giving it, "sorry lads, we won't be able to host the Euros you've given us next summer, we're already booked in at the Copa America"  :lol: