Germany train tickets question

Glen Scotia

11 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I read on the "Man on Seat 61" site that Interrail sometimes displays trains as being reservation necessary even when they are not. It says here that the reservations from Germany to Brussels trains is optional. https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm#Germany

InterRail also charge a lot more for reservations than DB, and only update their timetables sporadically so they can be less accurate.

I was advised by a friend who now lives in Munich to get the MVV-app for local train times etc. 

When I was looking at options for trains into the city from where I am staying about 40 km outside Munich and thought that 49 Euros seemed a bit expensive. On closer inspection this price was for a Deutschland-ticket which seems to be a month long ticket allowing travel an all local public transport (bus, train, tram, etc) throughout Germany.

Have I read that correctly and does anyone have experience of using the D-ticket? 

26 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

I was advised by a friend who now lives in Munich to get the MVV-app for local train times etc. 

When I was looking at options for trains into the city from where I am staying about 40 km outside Munich and thought that 49 Euros seemed a bit expensive. On closer inspection this price was for a Deutschland-ticket which seems to be a month long ticket allowing travel an all local public transport (bus, train, tram, etc) throughout Germany.

Have I read that correctly and does anyone have experience of using the D-ticket? 

You have read it correctly. For €49 you get unlimited travel throughout Germany for a month.

Two caveats...it doesn't include ICE, IC or EC trains, ie it is only for use on local and regional trains. Also it is a subscription service therefore needs to be cancelled by the middle of the month otherwise you'll be charged for the following month.

43 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

You have read it correctly. For €49 you get unlimited travel throughout Germany for a month.

Two caveats...it doesn't include ICE, IC or EC trains, ie it is only for use on local and regional trains. Also it is a subscription service therefore needs to be cancelled by the middle of the month otherwise you'll be charged for the following month.

I am driving over with the family so I won’t need the long distance trains. 
I have Airbnbs booked outside of the cities near Munich, Cologne and Stuttgart for a few days around each of the games so that should be ideal for getting into the cities with the local public transport rather than driving. 

is it just a download on your phone or is there a physical ticket available as well?

2 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

I have Airbnbs booked outside of the cities near Munich, Cologne and Stuttgart for a few days around each of the games so that should be ideal for getting into the cities with the local public transport rather than driving. 

is it just a download on your phone or is there a physical ticket available as well?

Are these airbnbs close enough to be within each host city's regional catchment area for local transport (ie. as part of the 36 hour included regional travel)? If you are only using the train to go to the host city from your airbnb, then most is included with the 36 hours? Depends on your other plans on non match day if they were to involve local trains, but maybe the 49 euro would not be worth it? Google city/town name and cross-reference it with the transport network on the relevant map on the "ticket holders travel benefits" website, but most likely it is part of it.  However if you say the place is 40km out of Munich it may not be tbf, though you were recommended the MVV app so it sounds like it is.  Or is that the whole reason you are interested in the Deutschland Ticket? it a case of being just outside the catchment area?

https://www.uefa.com/euro2024/event-guide/ticket-holders/ scroll down to 36 hours for the map

1 hour ago, Juan Mata said:

Are these airbnbs close enough to be within each host city's regional catchment area for local transport (ie. as part of the 36 hour included regional travel)? If you are only using the train to go to the host city from your airbnb, then most is included with the 36 hours? Depends on your other plans on non match day if they were to involve local trains, but maybe the 49 euro would not be worth it? Google city/town name and cross-reference it with the transport network on the relevant map on the "ticket holders travel benefits" website, but most likely it is part of it.  However if you say the place is 40km out of Munich it may not be tbf, though you were recommended the MVV app so it sounds like it is.  Or is that the whole reason you are interested in the Deutschland Ticket? it a case of being just outside the catchment area?

https://www.uefa.com/euro2024/event-guide/ticket-holders/ scroll down to 36 hours for the map

That would only really matter if we had tickets! 😢

I haven’t been able to get any as I wasn’t prepared to pay 600 euros for the only ones left when my son and myself could apply. We are just going over to soak up the atmosphere and make a holiday out of the two weeks. 

17 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Phone only.

image.thumb.png.4d3785f872a8027f985ebd7f7374b95d.png

https://abo.bahn.de/bestellen/?tarifid=84#/bestellportal/productconfiguration

P.S. Check out the "Children" section here:

https://www.seat61.com/train-travel-in-germany.htm#Deutschlandticket

Edited by welshbairn

• 3 weeks later...

What part of the journey has changed from this notification today. Did a dummy booking for same day and both trains still available to book at the same time I booked them at ? Suggests the Cologne train is no longer going to get to Mannheim in time but struggling to see what's changed. 

ETA I see there are train from Mannheim to Stuttgart every few minutes so jo big deal as long at the Koln to Mannheim train is still running 

Screenshot_20240216-095726_Email.jpg

Screenshot_20240216-095704_Email.jpg

Edited by Billy Jean King

The exact same thing happened to me last summer in Germany @Billy Jean King and I couldn't figure it out but I got both trains on my booking just fine. Assumed it's an automated thing that happens if either train changes at all even if it's something that doesn't impact your part of the journey.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

39 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Probably set to give you 10 minutes between trains for connecting and it's fell below that.  

Possibly but the original connection as sold on the DB website was 7m. Now an open ticket Koln to Mannheim for the price of a train specific one so not complaining 

13 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

Possibly but the original connection as sold on the DB website was 7m. Now an open ticket Koln to Mannheim for the price of a train specific one so not complaining 

Just remember to book a seat reservation on your new train.

7 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Just remember to book a seat reservation on your new train.

It looks like my trains are still running, all a bit odd but yes if we need to get another out of Koln will do. Mannheim to Stuttgart is like Glasgow to Ayr, one every few mins so that leg will be fine.