Germany train tickets question

Glen Scotia

Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere.

Having a match ticket entitles you to free travel for 36hrs, this much I get. To get the free train travel you need to show your Match ticket on the app, so far so good. UEFA are saying train tickets are available to book from 17th of January. This is the part I'm struggling with. 

We are based in Cologne and have Match tickets for a game in Dortmund. If I go to book my train ticket tomorrow how do I use my Match ticket to get the free train travel?? Am I missing something simple? Any help/advice would be grand 

10 minutes ago, Glen Scotia said:

Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere.

Having a match ticket entitles you to free travel for 36hrs, this much I get. To get the free train travel you need to show your Match ticket on the app, so far so good. UEFA are saying train tickets are available to book from 17th of January. This is the part I'm struggling with. 

We are based in Cologne and have Match tickets for a game in Dortmund. If I go to book my train ticket tomorrow how do I use my Match ticket to get the free train travel?? Am I missing something simple? Any help/advice would be grand 

You won't have to book local trains like Cologne to Dortmund that the 36 hour pass covers, you'll get a fans pass on the same UEFA app that will hold your match tickets to flash at the train inspectors. The thing tomorrow is for long distance trains, like Berlin to Munich. The €29.90 tickets being issued tomorrow aren't necessarily a bargain anyway, for example you can book Berlin to Cologne on a direct train with Flix for €9.99.

Edited by welshbairn

I'd much rather pay the extra for ICE over Flix though in most cases.  29.90 is an absolute bargain for an ICE train especially when travelling more than 3 hours you really feel the difference.  

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

You won't have to book local trains like Cologne to Dortmund that the 36 hour pass covers, you'll get a fans pass on the same UEFA app that will hold your match tickets to flash at the train inspectors. The thing tomorrow is for long distance trains, like Berlin to Munich. The €29.90 tickets being issued tomorrow aren't necessarily a bargain anyway, for example you can book Berlin to Cologne on a direct train with Flix for €9.99.

Appreciate this Bairn, I was thinking about trains being fully booked if I waited until the day but I guess there are plenty of trains running, cheers again 

10 hours ago, Juan Mata said:

I'd much rather pay the extra for ICE over Flix though in most cases.  29.90 is an absolute bargain for an ICE train especially when travelling more than 3 hours you really feel the difference.  

This plus with Flix running only a couple of services a day on most lines (and only one on others) if you really need to be somewhere by a certain time like a game at the Euros then I'd avoid Flix like the plague. It's fine if everything goes right, you're properly fucked if it doesn't. At least with Deutsche Bahn not being the most reliable there's enough trains that if one is cancelled you aren't stranded for the day.

9 hours ago, Glen Scotia said:

Appreciate this Bairn, I was thinking about trains being fully booked if I waited until the day but I guess there are plenty of trains running, cheers again 

There are not many trains available after 11 pm. Hopefully, DB adds a few more. According to someone in TAMB, some trains are already sold out. I booked my trains as soon as I could, and it wasn't more expensive than the current deal they're offering.

Sorted my Euro ticket trains this morning for a couple of our journeys (Nuremberg to Cologne and Nuremberg to Stuttgart). All pretty straight forward and definitely saved a few quid compared to the prices that were showing the other day. 

A few of the post match trains were already showing as unavailable though (presumably sold out), so our return train from Stuttgart isn't until 6am! I'm sure it'll be absolutely fine if we win and have just qualified, but if we've just been knocked out and I need to kill 7 hours after the match it might be a bit grim!

5 hours ago, dezz said:

A few of the post match trains were already showing as unavailable though (presumably sold out), so our return train from Stuttgart isn't until 6am! I'm sure it'll be absolutely fine if we win and have just qualified, but if we've just been knocked out and I need to kill 7 hours after the match it might be a bit grim!

It's Germany,there's a big train station ,close to station there will be a dodgy pub open 24 hrs there always is and you will have a cracking night with the jakeys and other folk stranded waiting on there own train 

Some of the finest nights I've had are being too tight to get a hotel for a few hours and relying on a 24hr jakey pub to see me through to my booked early morning train/flight 

12 hours ago, betting competition said:

There are not many trains available after 11 pm. Hopefully, DB adds a few more. According to someone in TAMB, some trains are already sold out. I booked my trains as soon as I could, and it wasn't more expensive than the current deal they're offering.

This was my initial point, if you have a match ticket (entitled to free travel) there isn't a way to book a seat on a train just now. So if we wait until the day the trains might be sold out 

20 hours ago, Glen Scotia said:

This was my initial point, if you have a match ticket (entitled to free travel) there isn't a way to book a seat on a train just now. So if we wait until the day the trains might be sold out 

Free travel entitlement is only within the local areas. No need to book a seat on those trains, if it's busy you stand.

21 hours ago, Glen Scotia said:

The "free travel" is only available on local/regional trains which do not offer seat reservations. Therefore they cannot "sell out". In the unlikely event that a local train has no seats or standing, get the next one.

In contrast, the special fares (€29.90/€39.90) are for ICE/IC/EC long-distance trains which can be reserved and therefore can sell out. The €39.90 is a 1st class ticket and includes a seat reservation, the €29.90 fare is 2nd class and does not reserve you a seat. That costs €4.90 extra.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve got another train question.  

I’m booked on Eurostar back from Brussels on the day after the Hungary - to get there I’ve to travel from Stuttgart to Frankfurt on the ICE which requires a seat reservation.  I assume those reservations are not yet available to buy yet cos there seem to be none available…. Anyone any ideas?

2 hours ago, adamntg said:

I’ve got another train question.  

I’m booked on Eurostar back from Brussels on the day after the Hungary - to get there I’ve to travel from Stuttgart to Frankfurt on the ICE which requires a seat reservation.  I assume those reservations are not yet available to buy yet cos there seem to be none available…. Anyone any ideas?

https://int.bahn.de/en

Select 'Book seat only'  You'll get a seat reservation for 4.90 euro. 

To use ICE trains you don't need a seat reservation unless it's some condition of your Eurostar ticket but I imagine most trains from Stuttgart the day after the game will be mobbed so it might be worth it.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

1 hour ago, Pie Of The Month said:

To ICE trains you don't need a seat reservation unless it's some condition of your Eurostar ticket but I imagine most trains from Stuttgart the day after the game will be mobbed so it might be worth it.

Apparently I do need a reservation for this one.   Will check out your link, cheers. 

IMG_0456.jpeg

2 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

To ICE trains you don't need a seat reservation unless it's some condition of your Eurostar ticket but I imagine most trains from Stuttgart the day after the game will be mobbed so it might be worth it.

That link was the very dab by the way, all sorted.  Cheers