Reform UK going from strength to strength.

1 minute ago, carpetmonster said:

Maybe Tice leaves his dogwhistley shite for the Telegraph. 

Wonder if hes as bothered about the Laaahndan taxi drivers he gives cash tips to?

Comments absolutely packed with good normal hard-working BRITTISH! people looking for other types of "ethnic" businesses that they'd like to see being shut down for tax avoidance, sex crimes, money laundering, etc. No evidence given other than their nationality/ethnicity.

Thankfully these aren't things that are notoriously rife among real good hard-working normal real self-employed BRITTISH! people who like a bit of cash-in-hand.

Britain is too woke to produce our own small time gangsters running money laundering fronts.

3 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

Maybe Tice leaves his dogwhistley shite for the Telegraph. 

If there is an issue here, it would be unreasonable not to include other industries. Why only "Turkish" hairdressers? For example there's a takeaway near us that's cash only.  Trouble is, if they were to spread the clampdown more widely, they'd be accused of hitting small business!

Just good old fashioned dog whistle politics. Maybe Farage will comment on it tomorrow night on Question Time, when he's taking up a seat that could be taken up by a rep from the SNP, or PC, or the Greens, or even the Libdems. But no.  Farage and "Reform UK". I hope he gets an absolute hammering.

1 minute ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

If there is an issue here, it would be unreasonable not to include other industries. Why only "Turkish" hairdressers? For example there's a takeaway near us that's cash only.  Trouble is, if they were to spread the clampdown more widely, they'd be accused of hitting small business!

Takeaways are one of the types of businesses mentioned in the comments, but only those being run by...certain types of people. You know the ones. Them.

Apparently we're surrounded by people who fantasise about BRITTAN! having it's very own Kristallnacht. TBF, it's been a while since England's rounded up and deported people en masse so they could keep their money, so it's probably due.

Is there any evidence to support the claim that cash only barbers are more likely to be fronts for money laundering than other cash only businesses?  I’m personally wary of ‘cash only’ businesses, particularly now that it’s easy and cost effective for any business of any size to process card payments.

12 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Is there any evidence to support the claim that cash only barbers are more likely to be fronts for money laundering than other cash only businesses?  I’m personally wary of ‘cash only’ businesses, particularly now that it’s easy and cost effective for any business of any size to process card payments.

It’s the American style candy shops that really need clamped down on IMO. Every major UK city has several of them on the high street selling ridiculously overpriced USA style sweets. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a customer in any of them. A very obvious money laundering and corporate rates avoidance scam. 

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

There is a tea shop up in Sutherland, in the middle of nowhere, only takes cash, claims poor Internet connection prevents the card reader working properly, hardly anyone is ever in there.

Now that I think about it, what a perfect front for a money laundering operation.

1 hour ago, JS_FFC said:

It’s the American style candy shops that really need clamped down on IMO. Every major UK city has several of them on the high street selling ridiculously overpriced USA style sweets. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a customer in any of them. A very obvious money laundering and corporate rates avoidance scam. 

There was one of these in Dundee.

Overnight it changed in to a handbag shop.

12 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

There was one of these in Dundee.

Overnight it changed in to a handbag shop.

By any chance did this “overnight change” happen either side of the end of the financial year?

I have a small business and sometimes take card transactions (its usually all invoiced).  Yes, you pay a little slice to the provider, but I doubt the costs are more than having to fanny about going to and from non-existent banks to deposit cash / make floats.

I dont even need my wee machine now, the tech is so good that I just open the app and people can pay me by tapping their phone or card to my phone.

Anyone taking cash only (see also restaurants that "cant take tips on the machine" is dodging tax and should be avoided imo.

But Tice is still a racist p***k.

18 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

By any chance did this “overnight change” happen either side of the end of the financial year?

Hmmmm, never thought about that before!

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

49 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

There is a tea shop up in Sutherland, in the middle of nowhere, only takes cash, claims poor Internet connection prevents the card reader working properly, hardly anyone is ever in there.

Now that I think about it, what a perfect front for a money laundering operation.

People buy 40p onions on card at our community shop. It costs us £1.3k a year (inews.co.uk)

People buy 40p onions on card at our community shop. It costs us £1.3k a year

Ruth Anderson says the Kirkoswald Community Shop will never reject card payments, but that she wants to raise awareness of the costs involved

“People often come in and they might need something quite minor like an onion. They don’t realise that if they pay for that on card, then we might lose 5p or even 7p out of a sale of 40p,” says Ruth Anderson, who also volunteers in the shop.

“We get some children coming in and buying small amounts of sweets – maybe for £1 – and many want to pay with a card too,” she adds.

The shop does have an advisory note saying if people are spending less than £2, they would prefer it if cash was used instead of card.

They also have an ATM machine in the shop, but many people – who are paying via methods such as Apple Pay – don’t have a card to put into the machine.

“We’d never turn someone away and say ‘we’re not selling you that onion’ because that would be counterproductive to our purpose as a community service, but we’re just trying to raise awareness of the hidden costs,” says Ruth.

Under the deal the shop has with its payment provider, the costs of a card payment vary, but accounts show that the total cost for taking card payments was £1,280.70 over the past 12 months.

They pay an authorisation fee of 2.95p per transaction, as well as a fraction of the sale, which varies between card type, with a personal credit card costing 0.85 per cent for example.

This fee can be lower for a debit card, but higher if someone uses a company credit card.

“It’s another cost that we’re trying to absorb within the overall operations,” says Ruth.

The main reason some businesses are cash only are because of thin margins and low turnover. A couple of % points off a transaction might not seem a lot but might easily be 20% of profit. 

Next up will be minimum wage and immigration issues. Employees can be kept off the books if their pay comes from undeclared takings. 

Then there's tax. Lower income recorded = lower tax bill.  For services businesses or takeaways without recoverable VAT, it can keep them officially out of VAT which can affect their ability to provide competetive prices. 

The object of money laundering on the other hand is to process illegitimate money through the books so it can be attributed to a legitimate source. That's not consistent with keeping cash off the books. In fact, using a cash only business (rather than one that just happens to have a lot of cash receipts) might aroise more suspicion which is bad for money laundering. 

10 hours ago, D Angelo Barksdale said:

Britain is too woke to produce our own small time gangsters running money laundering fronts.

"Remember the good ole days when wrong uns weren't from somewhere's else.  Buster Edwards, Ronnie Biggs, the Kray Brothers.  It's not the same no more."

1 hour ago, MEADOWXI said:

People buy 40p onions on card at our community shop. It costs us £1.3k a year (inews.co.uk)

People buy 40p onions on card at our community shop. It costs us £1.3k a year

Ruth Anderson says the Kirkoswald Community Shop will never reject card payments, but that she wants to raise awareness of the costs involved

“People often come in and they might need something quite minor like an onion. They don’t realise that if they pay for that on card, then we might lose 5p or even 7p out of a sale of 40p,” says Ruth Anderson, who also volunteers in the shop.

“We get some children coming in and buying small amounts of sweets – maybe for £1 – and many want to pay with a card too,” she adds.

The shop does have an advisory note saying if people are spending less than £2, they would prefer it if cash was used instead of card.

They also have an ATM machine in the shop, but many people – who are paying via methods such as Apple Pay – don’t have a card to put into the machine.

“We’d never turn someone away and say ‘we’re not selling you that onion’ because that would be counterproductive to our purpose as a community service, but we’re just trying to raise awareness of the hidden costs,” says Ruth.

Under the deal the shop has with its payment provider, the costs of a card payment vary, but accounts show that the total cost for taking card payments was £1,280.70 over the past 12 months.

They pay an authorisation fee of 2.95p per transaction, as well as a fraction of the sale, which varies between card type, with a personal credit card costing 0.85 per cent for example.

This fee can be lower for a debit card, but higher if someone uses a company credit card.

“It’s another cost that we’re trying to absorb within the overall operations,” says Ruth.

If their turnover is £130k per year they would need a one-off increase of 1% to cover this. 

Most banks will charge businesses that for cash deposits.

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

"Remember the good ole days when wrong uns weren't from somewhere's else.  Buster Edwards, Ronnie Biggs, the Kray Brothers.  It's not the same no more."

Aye, and you could leave your front door unlocked in those days! 
They only ever hurt their own kind and were always kind to their mother. Etc, etc, etc. 😉

If someone like Jeremy Clarkson or Tom Skinner declared they were going cash only, then the Reform types would be lauding them for taking a brave stance against the woke brigade who have been trying to impose a cashless society on hard working British people.