Elgin City vs The Hamilton Globetrotters (Tuesday, 30th Jan)

First of all, I thought that was a really decent game. I was fairly impressed with Clyde at times and don't think they're anywhere near certainities to finish bottom. We were worthy winners in the end though and if anyone was likely to score in the last 10 it was us. Plenty candidates for man of the match but Dingwall was back at his best. Some brilliant bits of play both sides of the ball. Bobby 'Jobby Bones' Jones has taken a lot of stick from opposition fans on here but he's been really useful for us. Held up the ball brilliantly tonight and ran the channels well. That's the third game in a row we've been a lot better off with him on the pitch than on the bench. The two boys from Cove look a level above. Dayshonne has his flaws but will terrorise most defenders in this league. Early days for Gallagher but I'm not sure even our best midfielders orf the last 10 years such as Reilly, Easton and prime Brian Cameron made it look as effortless as he does. Tam McHale made a brilliant save at 1-1, he's still prone to flapping at crosses but has made big saves at crucial times and kept a few scorelines from being even more embarrassing than they should've been. Another huge game on Saturday, can't wait for it now.

Putting Jones on won us the game tonight. One up front wasn’t working and we were struggling to get chances away. He played some great passes today and caused problems for their defenders. I really like him and I’d be starting him on Saturday.

Mitch was brilliant tonight and it was between him and Dingwall for man of the match. He’s come on so much this season and I’m hoping Hale starts to give him more gametime as he’s struggled for minutes since he came in. Thought Keith Bray was better tonight than he was on Saturday too.

Wasn’t that impressed by Clyde I have to say. They were let off of their poor passing out from the back in the first half by us not taking our chances. I may have just been expecting too much from them too soon with all of their new signings.

Winning on Saturday would be huge. East Fife are a team we’ve really struggled against (1 draw 6 defeats in all comps) since they returned to League Two and it would be great to draw a line under our poor results against them, as well as potentially move 10 points clear of bottom. 

On a final and most important note, well done to the team tonight, not only were they up for the fight from minute one, but that’s now twice in a month we’ve come from behind to win in the league after not having done it since 2021. 

Edited by CrispyMelon
Grammar

3 minutes ago, CrispyMelon said:

Putting Jones on won us the game tonight. One up front wasn’t working and we were struggling to get chances away. He played some great passes today and caused problems for their defenders. I really like him and I’d be starting him on Saturday.

Mitch was brilliant tonight and it was between him and Dingwall for man of the match. He’s come on so much this season and I’m hoping Hale starts to give him more gametime as he’s struggled for minutes since he came in. Thought Keith Bray was better tonight than he was on Saturday too.

Wasn’t that impressed by Clyde I have to say. They were let off of their poor passing out from the back in the first half by us not taking our chances. I may have just been expecting too much from them too soon with all of their new signings.

Winning on Saturday would be huge. East Fife are a team we’ve really struggled against (1 draw 6 defeats in all comps) since they returned to league two and it would be great to draw a line under our poor results against them, as well as potentially move 10 points clear of bottom. 

On a final and most important note, well done to the team tonight, not only were they up for the fight from minute one, but that’s now twice in a month we’ve come from behind to win in the league after not having done it since 2021. 

Forgot about Mitch Taylor! He was superb, and deserved his start after making an impact on Saturday. He's still hit or miss, but when he's on it you really wonder why he hasn't had more chances. He has the makings of a really good player.

I should also add, Soapy and Cooper were two players I thought were well past their best but the latter has been better in recent weeks and I thought Soapy was good tonight.

3 minutes ago, afca32 said:

Forgot about Mitch Taylor! He was superb, and deserved his start after making an impact on Saturday. He's still hit or miss, but when he's on it you really wonder why he hasn't had more chances. He has the makings of a really good player.

I should also add, Soapy and Cooper were two players I thought were well past their best but the latter has been better in recent weeks and I thought Soapy was good tonight.

The one thing that really came through in his absence was how much more positive we play when he’s on the pitch. He’s great at driving the ball forwards and I think his return to the team really helped the confidence out.

4 minutes ago, CrispyMelon said:

The one thing that really came through in his absence was how much more positive we play when he’s on the pitch. He’s great at driving the ball forwards and I think his return to the team really helped the confidence out.

I think the fact that Mitch does not train with the squad at all along with Jones has not done their chances of playing much good with the new management team. But like above I thought Mitch was very good tonight. Love his bite and passion he shows. 

4 minutes ago, Super Elgin City said:

I think the fact that Mitch does not train with the squad at all along with Jones has not done their chances of playing much good with the new management team. But like above I thought Mitch was very good tonight. Love his bite and passion he shows. 

Aye, that makes a lot of sense. Did wonder if him training with a WoS side was stunting his development last season but whatever he’s doing this season is clearly working. He’s great, never stops running.

32 minutes ago, Hugh Hillshaveyes said:

Great win for Elgin. Everybody played their part. I don’t think Clyde will finish bottom. On the observations on Jones and Taylor. I agree Jones does a decent job for us but he ain’t fit enough to last 90 mins hence the reason he doesn’t play 90 mins. Taylor on tonight’s performance is an asset but them performances have been few and far between so there is the reason he does not play more often. Another big game Saturday and we are dragging East Fife and Forfar closer to the bottom.

1 hour ago, Pride Of The Clyde said:

A decent goalie should have been a priority in January. Good goalies win you points, bad goalies cost you po

17 minutes ago, Clyde85 said:

WTF is Leighfield doing!?

You guys can scapegoat Leighfield all you want but I'm still seeing some pretty awful defending in the build up to these goals. Yes, he's a poor keeper but if anyone thinks we're bottom of this league due to the goalkeeper they need their head examined. 

He is a factor in it of course but I'd say there are far more serious issues which have contributed to where we find ourselves. 

On a side note, I think the chairman should issue a public and personal apology to any Clyde fan who made the effort to attend tonight's game. Sickening enough witnessing it via BBC updates from the comfort of my home, imagine freezing your arse off on a school night up in deepest darkest Elgin. Doesn't bear thinking about. 

Edited by RutherGlen

Any public apology should be coming solely from Leighfield. That is an utterly indefensible blunder. The first goal, well-taken as it was, is clearly on Dunachie for an absolutely abysmal header (the second goal he's helped sell in three days) and Young doesn't defend his zone well enough for the initial header, but that's as regulation a catch as you'll ever get when you're a goalkeeper. The guy is absolute clown shoes.

6 minutes ago, RutherGlen said:

You guys can scapegoat Leighfield all you want but I'm still seeing some pretty awful defending in the build up to these goals. Yes, he's a poor keeper but if anyone thinks we're bottom of this league due to the goalkeeper they need their head examined. 

He is a factor in it of course but I'd say there are far more serious issues which have contributed to where we find ourselves. 

On a side note, I think the chairman should issue a public and personal apology to any Clyde fan who made the effort to attend tonight's game. Sickening enough witnessing it via BBC updates from the comfort of my home, imagine freezing your arse off on a school night up in deepest darkest Elgin. Doesn't bear thinking about. 

What utter nonsense.

Football fans go to football games on their own free will why on earth would a chairman apologise for a goalkeeping error?

Some bonkers fans in the fanbase. Reading earlier the ones going on about a mid table finish for Clyde.

Absolutely baffling stuff for a team who have 7 points to overturn and haven't won an away game since I was born.

If Clyde finish 9th they have won a watch.

6 minutes ago, Neilly said:

What utter nonsense.

Football fans go to football games on their own free will why on earth would a chairman apologise for a goalkeeping error?

Some bonkers fans in the fanbase. Reading earlier the ones going on about a mid table finish for Clyde.

Absolutely baffling stuff for a team who have 7 points to overturn and haven't won an away game since I was born.

If Clyde finish 9th they have won a watch.

Mr Thomson I presume? 

Where did I say the apology was owed due to a "goalkeeping error"?

He needs to apologise for the fact we are now firmly rooted at the bottom of the lowest league of any merit as a direct result of the Duffy shitshow which he orchestrated and then tried to salvage by creating shitshow 2.0 with McLean at the helm.

Nights like tonight are just visual reminders of his incompetence. 

Edited by RutherGlen

21 minutes ago, RutherGlen said:

We can scapegoat him cause he’s chucked the ball in the net for their winner. In the 2 games prior our opponents have had 1 shot on target each and both been goals that cost us points. You can basically get a shot on target from anywhere and there’s a fair chance it’s going in. He’s an absolute liability and McCall needs to be on the phone to every club in Scotland tomorrow trying to find a replacement. Get leighfield to f**k.

The winner was a shocker from Leighfield, but it was a poor corner to give away in the first place in a spell in the game where Clyde just kept inviting trouble. Could see it coming.

Worst performance for a good few weeks. Nothing was sticking up front, passing was poor, total lack of composure.

Shite. Elgin deserved the win.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Elgin's penalty claim yet. Genuinely one of the worst refereeing decisions I've ever saw live. Clyde player at full stretch tips the ball round the post with both hands. Ref and lino look at each other and do nothing. Don't think I've ever been as irate at a decision before!

As someone else mentioned, I actually really enjoyed that game last night considering what was at stake. Thought we were the better team overall and our fitness looked miles better than Clydes. Dingwall,Taylor and Golding ran themselves into the ground. Also thought big Draper was brilliant at the back. No pace but reads the game so well and a calm head when things got a bit scrappy. Also a mention for Mchales save at 1-1. Incredible! 

Looks like there is a bit of a buzz between the squad now since Hale came in. Another big game Saturday!