Pavement Parking

41 minutes ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

Pedestrians and cyclists are the most pathetic specimens to ever be shat into civilisation.

In this instance it is the motorists who are clearly behaving irresponsibly.

58 minutes ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

Pedestrians and cyclists are the most pathetic specimens to ever be shat into civilisation.

Getting annoyed at everyone who walks is as wild a take as I have witnessed on this, or any other site.

Cyclists though, you're spot on.

Warnings were handed out in my street about parking on the pavement a couple of weeks back and it has improved a bit tbf.

3 hours ago, Left Back said:

Alternatively if they didn't spend all their money on cars they might be able to afford somewhere to live,

This statement is up there with "Stop buying £5 coffees and you'll be able to afford your own home" boomer pish, the reality is they're probably using their cars to go to work to try make money so they can move out, never met someone 20+ who actually wants to stay at home.

I've never understood the irrational hatred some people have for everyone using a vehicle, a proportion of car drivers are just lazy b*****ds, see parents driving less than a mile to drop/pick up their kids from school every day but for a lot of people personal vehicles are necessary for commuting due to our public transport being shit, unreliable and expensive. They should try getting a decent reliable public transport service instead of trying to punish every driver on the road.

Just now, Empty It said:

I've never understood the irrational hatred some people have for everyone using a vehicle, a proportion of car drivers are just lazy b*****ds, see parents driving less than a mile to drop/pick up their kids from school every day but for a lot of people personal vehicles are necessary for commuting due to our public transport being shit, unreliable and expensive. They should try getting a decent reliable public transport service instead of trying to punish every driver on the road.

The public transport service is the same for everyone, this is just pathetic, special pleading.

And the idea that a car is an item of necessity due to the high costs of travel is utterly laughable, given that it is entirely at odds with every comparison of car ownership to income levels.

You would have been better off trying the faux concern for blue badge holders line instead. 

Just now, virginton said:

The public transport service is the same for everyone, this is just pathetic, special pleading.

And the idea that a car is an item of necessity due to the high costs of travel is utterly laughable, given that it is entirely at odds with every comparison of car ownership to income levels.

You would have been better off trying the faux concern for blue badge holders line instead. 

Correct, it's shite and inadequate. 

4 hours ago, GHF-23 said:

Ban cars from all areas considered City/Town Centre (expanding to suburban centres like Portobello for larger cities) except for a circular route on the outside with car parking facilities for visitors. Pedestrian priority with buses, taxis and people with blue badges on roads in those areas. If you live in a heavily urbanised area with access to facilities and reliable public transport you can have a car but I'm afraid you'll have a bit of a walk to be able to access it. Any car parked on a kerb or otherwise obstructing a definitive pedestrian walkway to be clamped, lifted and cubed. No appeals.

Sorted

The issue with this is that you then need large car parks at the edge of the city and town centres.  But Edinburgh nearly solved this issue decades ago with the car stacker!  Get a few of these strategically placed about the place and problem solved.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-42789879

You could even build them underground, subterrean robot carparks very cool.

3 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Correct, it's shite and inadequate. 

It's evidently not inadequate for the millions that use it every day to commute. Others make a conscious choice not to use it - as well as a conscious choice about where to live (for example - impractical, daft new build schemes). 

A society that stops bending over backwards to shield beetroot-faced drivers from inconvenience will be a better one overall. 

Just now, virginton said:

It's evidently not inadequate for the millions that use it every day to commute. Others make a conscious choice not to use it - as well as a conscious choice about where to live (for example - impractical, daft new build schemes). 

A society that stops bending over backwards to shield beetroot-faced drivers from inconvenience will be a better one overall. 

^ failed his theory test 3 times 

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

No suprise that the most raging poster on P&B is one of the hate every driver on the road brigade, when a 30 minute journey takes more than an hour and a half via public transport I'd say that's inadequate. 

29 minutes ago, Empty It said:

This statement is up there with "Stop buying £5 coffees and you'll be able to afford your own home" boomer pish, the reality is they're probably using their cars to go to work to try make money so they can move out, never met someone 20+ who actually wants to stay at home.

The amount of young people i used to work with who were running about in cars I would struggle to afford was mind boggling tbf.

The financial decisions some young people make are incredible. Do they get any sort of financial planning advice in school?

50 minutes ago, D Angelo Barksdale said:

Warnings were handed out in my street about parking on the pavement a couple of weeks back and it has improved a bit tbf.

Don't leave us on the hook like this.

What sort of warnings?

I drive to work and just checked how long it would take via public transport.  I'd have to walk to the station, probably 20 minutes, then a 20 minute journey then get the shuttle bus into the office.  It would actually be quite pleasant on a nice day.

Difficulty is that I wouldn't be able to get home in time to see my wee boy before bed, so I won't be embracing it.  I have colleagues in London who leave before their family get up and arrive home after they are all in bed, seems miserable.  I don't really enjoy driving and would prefer to take public transport but family has to come first.

15 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Don't leave us on the hook like this.

What sort of warnings?

Official ones from the council left on windscreens saying that they'd ticket any car on the pavement from x date.

29 minutes ago, virginton said:

You appear to be confusing the UK with a country that has an abundance of affordable housing.

22 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The amount of young people i used to work with who were running about in cars I would struggle to afford was mind boggling tbf.

The financial decisions some young people make are incredible. Do they get any sort of financial planning advice in school?

Most of them will be on PCP I bet, worked with loads of folk who didn’t understand the difference between that and buying the car on HP. 

They might’ve done wee bits of financial planning in PSE (or whatever they call it these days) when I was at school but a lot of the folk I went to school with couldn’t remember their school timetable so not much chance of them remembering financial advice.