Aberdeen's Next Permanent Manager 23/24 Edition

Who will be Aberdeen's next permanent manager?  

357 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The biggest mistake that Aberdeen made was giving Barry Robson the job in the first place. You could argue that the calibre of managers, certainly at the beginning of this season with the likes of Beale, Robson and MacLean, was the lowest it has ever been in Scotland's top flight. Very few managers had a proven track record. Don't mind saying it but clubs like Aberdeen and Hearts are too big to be giving someone a "crack" at management. Robson has been sacked and Naismith has seemingly been close to getting punted on a near weekly basis.

Neil Warnock would certainly be interesting but it reeks of a lack of long-term plan and vision from the Pittodrie board. There has been zero rhyme or reason to any of the appointments, everything seems to have been a snap or emotional decision. Glass should never have got it, Goodwin should never have got it, and Robson should never have got it.

Alex Neil would be the sensible if not very boring choice. Having a look at the managers currently without a club down south, Gary Rowett is also out of a job and would tick a lot of boxes. He would certainly be an ambitious appointment and could see it as an opportunity to build something. He doesn't appear to bounce around clubs, is well respected, and available.

Another is Scott Parker, although he is at a stage of his career where if an English club fluttered their eyelashes he would probably boost back down the road. Most recently at Club Brugge, he has shown a willingness to go off the beaten track so to speak.

And if Cormack is feeling mental and actually looking further than Paisley, managers like Enrico Maaßen (struggled at Augsburg but respected for his work at Dortmund) are out of work.

2 hours ago, bishoptonbuddie said:

The biggest mistake that Aberdeen made was giving Barry Robson the job in the first place. You could argue that the calibre of managers, certainly at the beginning of this season with the likes of Beale, Robson and MacLean, was the lowest it has ever been in Scotland's top flight. Very few managers had a proven track record. Don't mind saying it but clubs like Aberdeen and Hearts are too big to be giving someone a "crack" at management. Robson has been sacked and Naismith has seemingly been close to getting punted on a near weekly basis.

Neil Warnock would certainly be interesting but it reeks of a lack of long-term plan and vision from the Pittodrie board. There has been zero rhyme or reason to any of the appointments, everything seems to have been a snap or emotional decision. Glass should never have got it, Goodwin should never have got it, and Robson should never have got it.

Alex Neil would be the sensible if not very boring choice. Having a look at the managers currently without a club down south, Gary Rowett is also out of a job and would tick a lot of boxes. He would certainly be an ambitious appointment and could see it as an opportunity to build something. He doesn't appear to bounce around clubs, is well respected, and available.

Another is Scott Parker, although he is at a stage of his career where if an English club fluttered their eyelashes he would probably boost back down the road. Most recently at Club Brugge, he has shown a willingness to go off the beaten track so to speak.

And if Cormack is feeling mental and actually looking further than Paisley, managers like Enrico Maaßen (struggled at Augsburg but respected for his work at Dortmund) are out of work.

Scott Parker has won promotion to the EPL in two of his three full seasons as a manager.

He will have his pick of English Championship teams if and when he wants it. 

No chance he rocks up in Scotland unless its one of the arse cheeks.

12 hours ago, Rugbypark said:

The most depressing thing about these threads is the inevitability of this tired, tired line. For fucks sake, everyone give it a rest.

It will never rest until it happens!

12 hours ago, Fifespud said:

Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen are still pretty big jobs in football and doing a good job at any of them will boost someone’s career. There’s got to be good candidates out there ffs?

I also don’t subscribe to the belief that it’s impossible to split the old firm either. Sure there are massive budget advantages but they don’t have make a cųnt of it on occasions. Somebody putting together a really decent squad over a couple of seasons, with a bit of luck could do it, especially if 1 or 2 other clubs chipped in too to take points of the bigots. 

Absolute nonsense that decades ot evidence have repeatedly disproven.

12 hours ago, Fifespud said:

Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen are still pretty big jobs in football and doing a good job at any of them will boost someone’s career. There’s got to be good candidates out there ffs?

I also don’t subscribe to the belief that it’s impossible to split the old firm either. Sure there are massive budget advantages but they don’t have make a cųnt of it on occasions. Somebody putting together a really decent squad over a couple of seasons, with a bit of luck could do it, especially if 1 or 2 other clubs chipped in too to take points of the bigots. 

I agree. I definitely think if you put Steve Clarke (for example) in charge of Aberdeen for 5 years with their current budget he would split the OF at least once. Could possibly even win a title.

12 hours ago, Rugbypark said:

The most depressing thing about these threads is the inevitability of this tired, tired line. For fucks sake, everyone give it a rest.

Hughes is leading the poll, it seems this is the outcome the public wants.........................

1 minute ago, Sortmeout said:

I agree. I definitely think if you put Steve Clarke (for example) in charge of Aberdeen for 5 years with their current budget he would split the OF at least once. Could possibly even win a title.

Splitting the OF is doable but actually finish above both of them in the same season, not a chance.

6 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

Neil Warnock is exactly the type to come up here thinking it will be a doddle and cry about standards and plastic pitches when his team gets scudded 4-0 by Killie.

Disappointed if it’s not him tbh.

If they do get him they need to get a camera crew in to follow him around.

”We’re in Glasgow that’s the fucking difference” 

14 hours ago, Molotov said:

Surely tae fcuk that Lennon pish has just been created as a wind up?

Almost every edition of football manager I have played in the last decade has the Lennon ➡️ Aberdeen timeline as a recurring thing. It's time.....

14 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

To be honest, your average fitba supporter watches things like that Si Ferry show or listens to Ewan Cameron.

I can believe those Aberdeen fans will represent a common view. These folk walk among us. At all our clubs.

This is indeed the scariest thing about being a football fan 

8 hours ago, bishoptonbuddie said:

Most of us on here didn't want him but he won seven on the bounce as interim. This included a game against Rangers.

Very hard not to give him the job.

34 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Guardiola & Klopp working together couldn't win the title in Scotland for a non Old Firm club. And that is far more of an issue and concern than who the next manager of Aberdeen may be.

7 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Most of us on here didn't want him but he won seven on the bounce as interim. This included a game against Rangers.

Very hard not to give him the job.

Robson took Aberdeen from IIRC 6th position to 3rd. He must have earned Aberdeen significant prize money through league position and European football. 

40 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Nah. Never going to happen with the financial gulf between ugly sisters and the diddies. 

31 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Splitting the OF is doable but actually finish above both of them in the same season, not a chance.

Yep, the SPFL as a meaningful "competition" is now history ... 40 of the 42 clubs are now effectively excluded. The early 1980s was an entirely different (financial) era and sadly won't be repeated.

10 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Nah. Never going to happen with the financial gulf between ugly sisters and the diddies. 

You are almost certainly right but it would be great to see a top manager getting a shot of a big club to have a go at it.

McInnes got Aberdeen to 3rd regularly (and second with or without Rangers) and I feel Clarke is a step above him. I say that even allowing for the fact that if McInnes finishes top 4 this season he will have surpassed Clarke at Kilmarnock in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

You are almost certainly right but it would be great to see a top manager getting a shot of a big club to have a go at it.

McInnes got Aberdeen to 3rd regularly (and second with or without Rangers) and I feel Clarke is a step above him. I say that even allowing for the fact that if McInnes finishes top 4 this season he will have surpassed Clarke at Kilmarnock in my opinion.

I agree it would be great if a top manager had a go but there is no top manager out there willing to work for buttons to try and split the dominance of the uglies.
It would be a massive gamble on a managers existing reputation if he failed to win anything with a diddy club. Odds are stacked against them unfortunately. 

IIRC Steve Clarke came back to Scotland for family reasons. I personally don’t see  him going back to club management in Scotland after he finishes with the SFA. 

That is unless he fancies returning to his spiritual home of Paisley where his professional career started. 😂 

The story behind his career progression IIRC was that St Mirren turned up to play a pre season friendly (possibly on the wrong day) and Beith Juniors were short of players. Steve played and stood out. St Mirren signed him up initially on a part time contract as he was doing an apprenticeship locally. 

One of the best players I’ve seen pull on the stripes. Became a Chelsea legend too. 

His time in that Love St dressing room would certainly have shaped his character and that shines through today with his sense of humour. Good guy!