Relegation thread - who's going down?

On 04/02/2024 at 13:33, keptie said:

Of course Guardiola is a better manager but he hasn't worked with a part time team with a ridiculous injury list that he cannot just throw millions to fix so I seriously doubt it.

He'd have sent them to Barcelona to Dr Fuentes and they'd have missed 3 games combined.

2 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

You're a bloke in your 50s desperately trying to run feuds with multiple members of the forum. Have you considered growing up?

Thank you

How dare you!

I'm nowhere near in my 50s.

Edited by cb_diamond
ETA- "feuds" 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

What are we thinking now, chaps? Have QP and AU's managerial changes taken them out of the equation? Arbroath bottom leaving ICT and the Pars to fight it out for the right to lose to Montrose?

We aren’t safe yet but I think Arbroath are all but gone. Whoever finishes 9th I would expect will beat whoever the play in the playoffs. Think it’ll be one of Dunfermline, Caley or Airdrie in that position. 

Aye, I think the ninth placed team should be safe. None seem as rotten as last season's Hamilton/Arbroath/Cove; Hamilton fans are raging at Rankin and none of Cove/Alloa/Montrose appear to pose anywhere close to the danger of last season's Airdrie, or even the season before's QP.

I wouldn't be against swapping ICT for Montrose though. Losing Dundee United and Arbroath for Livingston and Falkirk would make away days much worse next season.

Looking increasingly difficult for Arbroath. They may start to get players back but soon they will run out of games. When you get into that "10 games to go" period it almost becomes impossible. Next couple of games for them is ICT ans QP. If they get beat in those games they're gone for sure.

9th place is still up for grabs, but I still maintain whichever team it is they will stay in the Championship

1 minute ago, DiegoDiego said:

Aye, I think the ninth placed team should be safe. None seem as rotten as last season's Hamilton/Arbroath/Cove; Hamilton fans are raging at Rankin and none of Cove/Alloa/Montrose appear to pose anywhere close to the danger of last season's Airdrie, or even the season before's QP.

I wouldn't be against swapping ICT for Montrose though. Losing Dundee United and Arbroath for Livingston and Falkirk would make away days much worse next season.

Aye it’ll be shite from that POV but it should make the league tighter next season. You’d imagine Thistle and Raith will start the season at favourites but you’d also expect Falkirk will get a bounce after promotion and having a decent manager. If Dunfermline made a change on that front then they would probably be up there as well. 

Arbroath were rancid so they'll be in tenth, us not being able to beat them makes it look like we'll be 9th.

Hopefully come the end of the season we get a few back from injury that'll help with the playoff. 

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Falkirk will get a bounce after promotion and having a decent manager. 

I firmly beleive they'll do well but I'm not sure what McGlynn has done to be referred to as a decent manager. 

40 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

What are we thinking now, chaps? Have QP and AU's managerial changes taken them out of the equation? Arbroath bottom leaving ICT and the Pars to fight it out for the right to lose to Montrose?

I'm happy/positive but still have concerns.  You don't have to get to 40 points all the time but until you know you don't you have to presume you do.  

It means we have to look at winning 3 of our next 9 games.  After those 9 we are into the final 3 matches and play:

(A) Dundee United

(A) Partick Thistle

(H) Dunfermline

If we are still reachable by Dunfermline in particular at that point it's concerning because they are really shite they have a home double header with Inverness and Queens Park while we have our tough away trips and then potentially a showdown with them on the last day.  

Edited by itzdrk

Theres only 5 points between 5th and 9th atm, then a 6 point gap between 9th n 10th so any one of 5 teams can end up in the play off spot

Arbroath seem to be the most likely to go straight down, and I feel any of the rest would be to much of a mountain for the 1st division contenders to surmount........ but then again football isn't as easy as that

Edited by SirJimmyofNic

Sadly, I think Arbroath will run out of games, despite getting players back, and will go down automatically.

I think the 9th placed team will come from either Dunfermline or ICT. Dunfermline are on a poor run with injuries affecting them and they need to start getting results soon. ICT seem to struggle to score goals and that could cost them.

I think us and Queens Park will start to pull away from those two.

Irrespective, I think either the Pars or ICT will have too much in the playoffs for whoever from League One.

3 minutes ago, edinburghhonestman said:

Sadly, I think Arbroath will run out of games, despite getting players back, and will go down automatically.

I think the 9th placed team will come from either Dunfermline or ICT. Dunfermline are on a poor run with injuries affecting them and they need to start getting results soon. ICT seem to struggle to score goals and that could cost them.

I think us and Queens Park will start to pull away from those two.

Irrespective, I think either the Pars or ICT will have too much in the playoffs for whoever from League One.

We are not down yet, but think you are correct we are running out of games, so me thinks the fat lady is probably warming up the manukau honey

2 hours ago, HoBNob said:

Arbroath were rancid so they'll be in tenth, us not being able to beat them makes it look like we'll be 9th.

Hopefully come the end of the season we get a few back from injury that'll help with the playoff. 

I firmly beleive they'll do well but I'm not sure what McGlynn has done to be referred to as a decent manager. 

He's a decent manager at this level. Would probably put him in a similar bracket to McCall in that respect. He’ll take you close in the Championship and build a decent side but doesn’t have the know how to take that next step. 

3 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

I know the Hamilton fans seem raging, but tbh I don’t really get it.

PPG wise they are currently on track to  hit 72 points, they are having a good season. The issue is that Falkirk are just having an unbelievable one, maintaining their current PPG they would hit 92 points! 

Aye, it is much more positive being an Ayr fan since BGM was emptied.

However, there is a lot of football still to be played. We remain reliant on 3/4 really good players and still have persistent weaknesses.

It'll be squeaky of that I have no doubt. Will be another last weekend job. I'm just hoping we are mathematically safe with a few games to spare. That would be nice.

Edit - FWIW I think Arbroath are already gone. I hope I'm wrong as it's a great place to go but they need a monster turnaround to get above two other sides.

Edited by Trogdor

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

He's a decent manager at this level. Would probably put him in a similar bracket to McCall in that respect. He’ll take you close in the Championship and build a decent side but doesn’t have the know how to take that next step. 

Yeah I expect McGlynn and Falkirk will have a fantastic season next season, perhaps be up challenging for the title. The season after that will probably be the big test.

Edited by Enigma

3 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Yeah I expect McGlynn and Falkirk will have a fantastic season next season, perhaps be up challenging for the title. The season after that will probably be the big test.

Very much dependent on how well they recruit in the summer. They’re the best side in League One by a mile obviously, and I think the side they currently have would be fine in this division too, but I don’t believe a team made up of guys like Calvin Miller, Aidan Nesbitt, Coll Donaldson, Tom Lang, Ross MacIver and Gary Oliver is going to be title challengers in the second tier. They’ve all been at this level before, and they weren’t outstanding at it.