Greenock Morton v Motherwell

2 hours ago, TONTROOPER said:

Delboy will probably be taking in this game since he still has a soft-spot for The 'Ton and is well thought of at Cappielow.

Ask him nicely and I'm sure he'll give you a lift down.

I'll pass! 

22 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

I've made an arse of it and bought a ticket for the home end. 

Would I be able to phone morton ticket office and sort this or do any morton fans know if there is a way I can do it online.

All our online ticket purchases are done via the Fanbase App, an organisation who we partner with. Your best bet is to give the club a call directly. I'm sure someone will be able to fix you up. The number's 01475 723571.

Aye, I actually really like the fan base app, but I wasn't sure how much you'd be able to do on it in terms of changing tickets etc. 

Not that you can do it on many similar site tbf, hope more than expectation.

Cheers mate.

4 hours ago, Morton Supporter said:

Surely going to be our biggest attendance since COVID return, and probably for some time prior to that too.

4126( Jan 18) 4661 ( Aug 17) both against St Mirren.

Think we've a decent chance of beating or at least getting close to the 4.1k one.

It's a shame the days of pulling 4-5k home fans, thinking Killie 2007 when the crowd was 6.6k, appear to be gone. We ironically then took around 4.5k fans to Motherwell in the next round.

Edited by madton

Right looking forward to this. I wouldn’t go as far as saying I’m confident, there is still a decent gap between the divisions, despite how poor Motherwell have been recently. 

Confident we’ll score though and make a good game of it. Absolutely destined for the Neil Warnock derby should we make it through. 

7 hours ago, TheGoon said:

Absolutely destined for the Neil Warnock derby should we make it through. 

Aye. And with any luck, Neil’s love of Morton will make him pick the most shite Dons starting XI to give us the best possible stab at it 🙂

We're in a good spot going in to make it interesting but still up against a better team here you'd think, and will be doing very well to get through. 

The sort of game where we I expect we'll make it an uncomfortable night for Motherwell and see what happens. 

The team picks itself with the only maybe being French. I don't see why he wouldn't be allowed to play, but he missed out on the last round even though Dundee had already confirmed he was staying here by that point. If not, Blues in at right back with McGrattan coming in out wide as the best defensive option for the front 3. 

Will be interesting to see how Motherwell cope with the 3 games in 6 days, they don't seem to have much depth to their squad with the exception of the 3 million full backs they have on their books.

Nice to see our old pal Andy Halliday again also, I'm sure he'll get a nice welcome after his previous performance down here and subsequent comments on the matter on his extremely funny 'podcast' years later.

I have seen comments on how poor Motherwell have been recently. I may concur should we lose tonight. 

But actually we have been improving of late. Morton might be unbeaten in 12 or so games but we have only lost 2 in 12 one of which is our regular routine defeat to Rangers. And without doubt our run (Alloa apart) has been against much tougher opponents. 

I was and am quite worried when I saw the 5-0 scoreline v Dunfermline. It was a great and convincing win. But as bad as we have been in defence I genuinely could not believe how bad Dunfermline were for the last 3 goals. It was genuinely comedy defending. Probably even worse than that description. It looked like their defenders had not played football before. 

I still think the game will be won by the odd goal probably after ET. I am almost comforted to see the confidence of the Morton fans. Not saying it is misplaced, just that I would be more worried playing Morton on a poor run. It maybe makes no sense to say that but at least Motherwell will know how tough a game to expect and our fans, myself included know the game is very much 50/50. 

Edit to add. I noticed watching the Dunfermline highlights Morton had a long throw in expert. Hate playing against teams with one of those. Effectively every throw in anywhere near the goal line is like a corner. I also noted forecast at the moment is 40mph winds + on Friday Evening. I think I know how Morton may get one of their goals 🤔😳.

Edited by welldaft

2 hours ago, welldaft said:

I am almost comforted to see the confidence of the Morton fans. 

I would say for the majority of Ton fans it's more cautious optimism than confidence.

I'm sure most are well aware that while we're on a fantastic run, none of the teams we've played in that run have been at this level*. I hope and think it will be a cracking game, but I'll be surprised if there was more than one goal in it, either way. 

* Edit to add: with the arguable exception of Dundee United

Edited by cet homme charmant

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

I have seen comments on how poor Motherwell have been recently. I may concur should we lose tonight. 

But actually we have been improving of late. Morton might be unbeaten in 12 or so games but we have only lost 2 in 12 one of which is our regular routine defeat to Rangers. And without doubt our run (Alloa apart) has been against much tougher opponents. 

I was and am quite worried when I saw the 5-0 scoreline v Dunfermline. It was a great and convincing win. But as bad as we have been in defence I genuinely could not believe how bad Dunfermline were for the last 3 goals. It was genuinely comedy defending. Probably even worse than that description. It looked like their defenders had not played football before. 

I still think the game will be won by the odd goal probably after ET. I am almost comforted to see the confidence of the Morton fans. Not saying it is misplaced, just that I would be more worried playing Morton on a poor run. It maybe makes no sense to say that but at least Motherwell will know how tough a game to expect and our fans, myself included know the game is very much 50/50. 

Edit to add. I noticed watching the Dunfermline highlights Morton had a long throw in expert. Hate playing against teams with one of those. Effectively every throw in anywhere near the goal line is like a corner. I also noted forecast at the moment is 40mph winds + on Friday Evening. I think I know how Morton may get one of their goals 🤔😳.

Tbh, the longthrow is more useful away from home than at Cappielow. The sideline running along the cowshed isn't big enough for a decent run-up, so it's only throwins on the otherside of the pitch that might cause any bother.

Wee reminder of the last time Motherwell came to Cappielow to get sworded by Morton:

The meltdown from the Motherwell fans:

JS72850371.jpg.a82f530e6af1c3f3567f87ff19d0ccb6.jpg

But you got your wish:

Screenshot_20240206_131920_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b6c87208dac5b9ddc9b852a913355a3d.jpg

Wee reminder of the last time Kettlewell came to Cappielow to get sworded by Morton:

Screenshot_20240206_131816_Chrome.thumb.jpg.cf1696f5d03b9a9d79fb47e69ecf1e47.jpg

Wee reminder of the last time Andy Halliday came to Cappielow when fans were allowed in:

andy-halliday-shown-red-card-morton-v-rangers_3405074.jpg.74e44c887c6cb3ae777aa7b71a831e1a.jpg

And this man who hates you lot as much as you hate him there to light the fuse on Friday.

20220519_161834.thumb.jpg.c631bf04f2afb530e86e7cb300d2e1bf.jpg

This could be fun.

Edited by Jamie_M

Light It Up Burn GIF by Jimmy Arca

Edited by TONTROOPER

2 hours ago, welldaft said:

Not saying it is misplaced, just that I would be more worried playing Morton on a poor run. It maybe makes no sense to say that but at least Motherwell will know how tough a game to expect and our fans, myself included know the game is very much 50/50. 

Largely because it's not really true. 

We've all seen examples in the Scottish Cup of games viewed as the most obvious chance of a shock ending up in a comfortable win for the team from a higher division. I'm confident enough that it'll be a tight game either way rather than yet another pumping from Motherwell, but I'll feel a lot more confident of our chances after tonight if they don't win themselves and Bair's scoring run comes to an end.

Edited by Dunning1874