Motherwell v Ross County (7:45pm Tue, 6th Feb)

It was on Tue 5th Dec that County last won a match under Adams. That was against Motherwell, the 3-0 home victory. The very early 2 mins in Murray header from the corner set things up and Dhanda was immense that day. Things were looking positive back then and I was hoping for more of a 'new' manager bounce. Then it's fair to say the wheels came off!

Motherwell seem to be drawing a lot of their matches recently. Though from what I saw of yesterday's highlights they appear to have their confidence back. A point against a good Kilmarnock side isn't too bad. For County, mid week away from home, I'm not confident here.

It's got to the stage where I don't care how bad County play, a dull, scrappy, ugly win would put them equal with Well on 22 points and only 2 points off St. Johnstone who have played a game more. This match is huge!

Lets face it, a County defeat here, although a while yet to go in the season, I'd be betting on play offs at best tbh. As long as Livi don't suddenly hit form!

I won't make this game, however fair play to those that are travelling down. A win would be ace, just can't see it though hope I'm proved wrong.

It's exaggerating to say this is an all or nothing game for us because we're obviously not going to sack SK with a loss - but given the run coming, if we've made all improvements and hit one win out of 20 by failing to beat a struggling relegation rival, it has to be asked just how we'll ever turn it round.

Our lack of clean sheets in general and our record v the other bottom teams (one win in seven) in particular has killed us this season but two wins this week and the potential is still there for salvation.

We need to be just a little bolder in selection and I think we'll get it... maybe. First goal for a change would be massively welcomed.

4 home defeats (to nil) on the bounce.

2-2 draws at Heart's and Livi with a narrow Celtic Park defeat in between.

For some reason, we are definitely performing better away from home recently, and this gives me reason to be relatively optimistic about this one. By which I mean, I wouldn't be too surprised if we manage another draw. About which, I would probably be neither devastated, nor over the moon.

(Could following County actually feel more 'meh' right now...?!)

Edited by The Great Stagsby

2 hours ago, The Great Stagsby said:

For some reason, we are definitely performing better away from home recently, and this gives me reason to be relatively optimistic about this one. By which I mean, I wouldn't be too surprised if we manage another draw. About which, I would probably be neither devastated, nor over the moon.

That happens quite a lot in our league tbf. Teams are solid enough away from home because they can defend, be gritty and ignore possession when at home there is pressure on them to take the game to the opposition and they just don't have the quality to do so.

Mourinho broke down the logic of it brilliantly: https://mourinhosbible.wordpress.com/2016/09/17/mourinhos-seven-point-plan-for-winning-big-games/

I do find that a bit extreme given the level of player he works with tbh but when there's little difference between the sides fourth to eleventh in Scotland, it's pretty safe to say if you don't f**k up you'll probably win because chances are the opposition will f**k up instead.

For example, as brilliant as our equaliser was in terms of a break away execution on Saturday, Killie were a goal up away from home, moved their defence 50 yards out of position for a long throw and promptly gave us the ball back.

Ketts to stick the knife in.

County to lead 1-0 for 70+ minutes, do something stupid and lose 2-1 in injury time.

8 hours ago, RH33 said:

How much will it cost an adult and couple kids get in and is there pay at gate option?

There isn't a pay at the gate option anymore sadly, however the ticket office should be open pre game. There is a family ticket availble (adult and to kids) in the home end. I would assume the same option would be available for away fans.

I’d be dropping Paton for this one. I’m not sure if I’d start Jili and move Gent forward or just start Nicholson in his place. 

I’d bring miller in for Dave or Halliday too. 

We are long overdue a win and a clean sheet. It’s got to happen at some point right? 

2-0 Bair and Spittal.

We have only lost two of our last ten games, the draws have been killing us but there are plenty of positives to be taken from our last three league games. We have conceded 6 against Ross County this season, our defence seems a bit more robust as of late but we still seem content to either concede with the opposition's first effort on target or conspire to hand them a goal on a plate, so with that in mind you can't help but feel that we will need a few goals to secure the win. It'll be interesting to see how we line up especially with us having the three games in six days. 

We'll inevitably concede a soft goal from a set piece because that's what we do best. 

As for going forward. Theo Bair was very good on Saturday so hope he fancies it again. And I hope we deploy a rampaging Bevis Mugabi at RWB again because it's great value entertainment. 

2 hours ago, Cloontang said:

We have only lost two of our last ten games, the draws have been killing us but there are plenty of positives to be taken from our last three league games. We have conceded 6 against Ross County this season, our defence seems a bit more robust as of late but we still seem content to either concede with the opposition's first effort on target or conspire to hand them a goal on a plate, so with that in mind you can't help but feel that we will need a few goals to secure the win. It'll be interesting to see how we line up especially with us having the three games in six days. 

I'd imagine we'll set up the same as Saturday but probably make a bit more use of the bench.

These are the sort of games we usually f**k up and seeing as we apparently aren't allowed nice things this season I'm not exactly confident of things going our way.

Just saw a clip of Kettlewell's pre-match and according to the man himself Obika's back training and the only injury we have at the moment is Slattery who's due in for surgery this week.

13 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

I’d be dropping Paton for this one. I’m not sure if I’d start Jili and move Gent forward or just start Nicholson in his place. 

I’d bring miller in for Dave or Halliday too. 

We are long overdue a win and a clean sheet. It’s got to happen at some point right? 

2-0 Bair and Spittal.

I think Kettlewell will stick with the same starting 11 but I'd like to see some changes bled in over the next few games. 

-Not a huge fan of the Mugabi/Butcher/McGinn back 3. Butcher seems to be coming back to some form now he's playing. Mugabi is always round the corner from a disaster and McGinn often looks awkward on the left. But I'd probably leave it as it is over chopping and changing for now.  I do think Casey/Butcher/Blaney is probably where we want to get to though. 

- Miller is too much of a talent to be sitting on the bench much longer now he's back. So someone needs to give way and it's Davor or Halliday.

- Paton has been very busy but 99% of the time just doesn't have that final ball or shot. I'd as a minimum hope to see Nicholson get longer off the bench and if he proves to be a better option than Paton he should take the spot.

45 minutes ago, eliphas said:

-Not a huge fan of the Mugabi/Butcher/McGinn back 3. Butcher seems to be coming back to some form now he's playing. Mugabi is always round the corner from a disaster and McGinn often looks awkward on the left. But I'd probably leave it as it is over chopping and changing for now.  I do think Casey/Butcher/Blaney is probably where we want to get to though. 

See - I'm sort of the opposite here. I think McGinn and Butcher are when fit (and match fit in Butcher's case) first choice options. Casey has been poor by his standards this season (but on his best form would be a first choice) and I've yet to see anything from Blaney that convinces me he's better than anyone in the current first choice 3 - he feels every inch a squad player to me.

4 minutes ago, Swello said:

See - I'm sort of the opposite here. I think McGinn and Butcher are when fit (and match fit in Butcher's case) first choice options. Casey has been poor by his standards this season (but on his best form would be a first choice) and I've yet to see anything from Blaney that convinces me he's better than anyone in the current first choice 3 - he feels every inch a squad player to me.

Aye, to me it's McGinn who actually makes the back 3 work.

With respect to Casey for all his plus points when he's on form he still doesn't offer what McGinn does on the ball in terms of progressing the ball up the park.

If everyone is fit and on form then it's be a return to the back three of last season for me McGinn/Butcher/Casey.