Motherwell v Ross County (7:45pm Tue, 6th Feb)

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye, to me it's McGinn who actually makes the back 3 work.

With respect to Casey for all his plus points when he's on form he still doesn't offer what McGinn does on the ball in terms of progressing the ball up the park.

If everyone is fit and on form then it's be a return to the back three of last season for me McGinn/Butcher/Casey.

I think the arguments are fair there. 

Fully in-form Casey is what I'm thinking about and get gets a first pick for me. 

Blaney I just think gives us more balance on the left of a back 3 as he is left footed. But I do accept he's not played a whole load. 

1 hour ago, eliphas said:

I think Kettlewell will stick with the same starting 11 but I'd like to see some changes bled in over the next few games. 

-Not a huge fan of the Mugabi/Butcher/McGinn back 3. Butcher seems to be coming back to some form now he's playing. Mugabi is always round the corner from a disaster and McGinn often looks awkward on the left. But I'd probably leave it as it is over chopping and changing for now.  I do think Casey/Butcher/Blaney is probably where we want to get to though. 

- Miller is too much of a talent to be sitting on the bench much longer now he's back. So someone needs to give way and it's Davor or Halliday.

- Paton has been very busy but 99% of the time just doesn't have that final ball or shot. I'd as a minimum hope to see Nicholson get longer off the bench and if he proves to be a better option than Paton he should take the spot.

I find it hard to disagree with any of these points and agree with @capt_oats that last season's back three should be our destination. 

In defence of not making those changes tomorrow, we've got the opportunity to play the same team three on the bounce, we've had two fairly positive results and some of the players in that XI (Davor, Halliday, Butcher & Gent) look like they are getting up to speed. To start tweaking things in such a big game might not be so wise.

I wouldn't be averse seeing Nicholson, Miller, Buyabu and Devine in from the start on Friday, with them being bed in from there.

10 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I find it hard to disagree with any of these points and agree with @capt_oats that last season's back three should be our destination. 

In defence of not making those changes tomorrow, we've got the opportunity to play the same team three on the bounce, we've had two fairly positive results and some of the players in that XI (Davor, Halliday, Butcher & Gent) look like they are getting up to speed. To start tweaking things in such a big game might not be so wise.

I wouldn't be averse seeing Nicholson, Miller, Buyabu and Devine in from the start on Friday, with them being bed in from there.

This is pretty much where I am tbh.

A big part of Kettlewell's success when he was parachuted in was the fact that he was effectively playing the same team week in, week out, and while it's fair to say that he's not helped himself at times this season, given the injuries he's had to deal with it's meant he's not really had the opportunity to get a regular, settled XI on the park.

Fwiw, my hot take is that we might actually start turning some of the draws into wins with this shape if we swap out Paton for Nicholson on account of Nicholson being a natural forward rather than a centre mid being asked to play in what is effectively an attacking role. Equally I don't think SK will do it because he seems to fucking love Harry Paton but I'm 100% of the view that we'd see an improved output from playing Nicholson in there (once he's actually fit).

Edited by capt_oats

Agree on Paton...there's certainly a place for him in the squad but if we're playing four in midfield he should be out because he just doesn't have the quality in the final third if advanced and others are better than him if deep.

We're in an odd position with Miller - yes we want hin starting but a lot of our improvement has come from Davor and now Halliday winning a lot of the ball in midfield. I'd be reluctant to change that atm so would probably ask Miller to be the eight instead of Paton for now even though it's arguably not his best role. It's a very tough call.

I wouldn't change the back three when we're finally looking semi solid again, the big query for me would be RWB and whether we can include a slightly more attacking guy there to match Gent in the left.

8 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I'd imagine we'll set up the same as Saturday but probably make a bit more use of the bench.

It's set until the end of the season to set up this way, Worried we'll run a functioning Bair into the ground though. 

5 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Agree on Paton...there's certainly a place for him in the squad but if we're playing four in midfield he should be out because he just doesn't have the quality in the final third if advanced and others are better than him if deep.

We're in an odd position with Miller - yes we want hin starting but a lot of our improvement has come from Davor and now Halliday winning a lot of the ball in midfield. I'd be reluctant to change that atm so would probably ask Miller to be the eight instead of Paton for now even though it's arguably not his best role. It's a very tough call.

I wouldn't change the back three when we're finally looking semi solid again, the big query for me would be RWB and whether we can include a slightly more attacking guy there to match Gent in the left.

Like Slattery before him I’m not sure Miller has the pace to play an 8 . There was a phase of play second half on Saturday where he could have scurried into the box but he pulled the ball back as he didn’t back himself to get away from his marker. The boy is quality though, just further back pinging balls about like a Lambert or McGregor type.

26 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Worried we'll run a functioning Bair into the ground though. 

This is my main concern as well. Last thing we want is to burn him out and he picks up any kind of injury because then I fear we really will be in trouble.

I'm loving Well fans finding ways they will lose to County. For the uninitiated,  we (County) were honking pre Adams and have only been made worse by some astonishing loan signings in January.  Lose to County tomorrow night and you have serious problems.  

26 minutes ago, Steve Carrella said:

I'm loving Well fans finding ways they will lose to County. For the uninitiated,  we (County) were honking pre Adams and have only been made worse by some astonishing loan signings in January.  Lose to County tomorrow night and you have serious problems.  

We already have serious problems.... things would just get a bit more serious if we loose to County.

9 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I thought Paton was excellent in the second half on Saturday and I can't see him losing his place for this game after that.

10 hours ago, Steve Carrella said:

You pumped us last time, had us pumped the time before that though chucked it, we've won one in 19 and our defence means you'll score at least once tonight... any belief in a home win tonight is desperation rather than conviction.

8 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I thought Paton was excellent in the second half on Saturday and I can't see him losing his place for this game after that.

All about opinions...but if we're playing this formation, whatever it's called, and don't get more concrete goals and assists from that position we're going to struggle to improve results.

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

All about opinions...but if we're playing this formation, whatever it's called, and don't get more concrete goals and assists from that position we're going to struggle to improve results.

Absolutely. He’s a tidy enough footballer but imo doesn’t offer enough in the final third. Doesn’t have pace either to break the lines. If he’s playing with SODs on the right also it slows us down massively on the one side. 

Aye, it's been dryish here, all things considered, the park was looking disappointing on Saturday right enough given what we have been used to. 

Don't think there is any danger for the game as it's dry now, to remain dry with a good breeze

2 hours ago, Swello said:

For the first time in about 5 years - the pitch isn't like a bowling green but I'm sure it will be perfectly playable tonight..

Are we saying understandable given the weather over the last couple of months, or to do with the very, very good groundsman no longer being in post?

Edited by Desp

7 minutes ago, Desp said:

Are we saying understandable given the weather over the last couple of months, or to do with the very, very goods groundsman no longer being in post?

Hoping for the first - fear it's the second....