Blue sin bin cards

1 minute ago, houston_bud said:

I've seen youth games where the ref has just asked a coach to sub a player, rather than issuing a red card.

I appreciate that won't happen in every case but leagues could just instruct refs/coaches to do that rather than introducing a whole different aspect to the game.

That's fair aye, but maybe putting the player somewhere for 10 minutes teaches them something about their behaviour rather than subbing them and letting them think they were doing nothing wrong. I don't really care if I'm honest, just trying to think of situations a sin bin might actually be useful.

On 09/02/2024 at 09:41, JS_FFC said:

Very often we see a referee bottle giving a second yellow for a foul that would absolutely have warranted a yellow card to anyone else. 

Which is why you'll see refs bottle this too,the problem with refereeing in football is refs don't apply what there is,not that there aren't enough tools at their disposal

Impossible to enforce. If a goalkeeper goes down "injured", the referee has no power to demand that they get up or get substituted. If I was manager of a team on a blue card I would just instruct my goalkeeper to roll around for ten minutes then miraculously recover.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

On 09/02/2024 at 11:51, Jives Miguel said:

It's a good step in the right direction. Tactical fouls are simply cheating in my book and I welcome any attempt to clamp down on them.

My idea was another card after yellow, but no sin bin. Every single foul, barring offsides or conceding a passback etc, is now an automatic yellow card minimum. Orange is just current yellow. Two oranges for a red, 4 yellows for a red, 1 orange and 2 yellows for a red. The way forward is to try remove as much subjectivity as possible.

I sort of like this but imagine there'd be a way to ease up on the subjectivity in a less convoluted way - the simpler things can be kept, the easier it is for fans, players and referees to follow and avoid nonsense like the Graham Poll x3 yellow card debacle. Think there is definitely a legitimate gripe that if you watch a full season of football you'll see inconsistencies for what draws a yellow and what doesn't, but thats not always the referees fault. Each match and incident on its own merits etc.

A yellow card on the face of it is a reasonably strong punishment as it is - you know as a player if you get one more, you're aff + the more you get as a player, you'll end up getting hit with suspensions. Reds are strong too given they can result in chunky suspensions, although there's a quirk that the less time is on the clock in a match the less effective a punishment they become.

Giving referees the option of something slightly weaker than a yellow card might be better than giving them some kind of orange/blue card, perhaps? No sin bin nonsense for me, Clive.

Uno Reverse Card/Grey Card/Get Out Of Jail Free Card/Deathrite Shaman Card - a precursor to a yellow. Two of these are equivalent to one yellow card.

Yellow card - same as it ever was, two of these and you get a red

Red card - same as it is now

More flexibility *should* mean that different offences on the pitch can be weighted a bit better than they are now (so things that intuitively look like harsh yellows at present can still be tracked by the ref more consistently - think things like persistent fouling are, by their nature, quite hard for referees to consistently punish. Might also embolden referees for things like encroachment, timewasting, dissent etc. which they're otherwise reluctant to dish out yellows for)

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

28 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

I sort of like this but imagine there'd be a way to ease up on the subjectivity in a less convoluted way - the simpler things can be kept, the easier it is for fans, players and referees to follow and avoid nonsense like the Graham Poll x3 yellow card debacle. Think there is definitely a legitimate gripe that if you watch a full season of football you'll see inconsistencies for what draws a yellow and what doesn't, but thats not always the referees fault. Each match and incident on its own merits etc.

A yellow card on the face of it is a reasonably strong punishment as it is - you know as a player if you get one more, you're aff + the more you get as a player, you'll end up getting hit with suspensions. Reds are strong too given they can result in chunky suspensions, although there's a quirk that the less time is on the clock in a match the less effective a punishment they become.

Giving referees the option of something slightly weaker than a yellow card might be better than giving them some kind of orange/blue card, perhaps? No sin bin nonsense for me, Clive.

Uno Reverse Card/Grey Card/Get Out Of Jail Free Card/Deathrite Shaman Card - a precursor to a yellow. Two of these are equivalent to one yellow card.

Yellow card - same as it ever was, two of these and you get a red

Red card - same as it is now

More flexibility *should* mean that different offences on the pitch can be weighted a bit better than they are now (so things that intuitively look like harsh yellows at present can still be tracked by the ref more consistently - think things like persistent fouling are, by their nature, quite hard for referees to consistently punish. Might also embolden referees for things like encroachment, timewasting, dissent etc. which they're otherwise reluctant to dish out yellows for)

Rainbow cards would be interesting but I think they would ultimately over complicate things for a casual fan.

Has he been sent off? No the last card was a faded yellow and that one was a normal yellow, so he’s fine for now.

Ok but last week someone was sent off for a faded yellow as their 2nd card, yes but they had an amber card for the first.

Perhaps they would need to treat it like 2nd yellows now where they show the card for the offence and then show where the player is on the totting up.  Regardless it’s almost guaranteed someone will lose track at some point 

Edited by parsforlife

9 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Impossible to enforce. If a goalkeeper goes down "injured", the referee has no power to demand that they get up or get substituted. If I was manager of a team on a blue card I would just instruct my goalkeeper to roll around for ten minutes then miraculously recover.

I always believe this is a backdoor towards a stopped clock. So they can have american levels of adverts during the game.

• 3 weeks later...

Doesn't sound like it has, from the link. They're still investigating the dreadful sin bin idea, but won't have blue cards issued. It wasn't the colour of the cards that people were objecting to...

Not sure blue cards were answer but something needs doing 

With subs increasing over years I have watched game from 2 to 3 and now 5

There's 6 extra players per game that can take one for team

Used to genuinely be a yellow card and you were walking a tightrope 

Now it's meh as will likely just get subbed off

11 hours ago, Binos said:

Not sure blue cards were answer but something needs doing 

With subs increasing over years I have watched game from 2 to 3 and now 5

There's 6 extra players per game that can take one for team

Used to genuinely be a yellow card and you were walking a tightrope 

Now it's meh as will likely just get subbed off

What?!

35 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

What?!

Three more players on yellow cards that can then be subbed to avoid any real disadvantage, with three new players who can come on and do the same thing. I hadn't thought about it that way before but it's absolutely right - the changes to substitutions make cynical fouls to break up a threatening attack far more valuable than they were before. 

A sin bin is still a dreadful proposed solution but there should be redress for the lack of real punishment for cynical fouls. I'd just revert to fewer substitutions tbh. 

Edited by vikingTON

7 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

What?!

6 more guys per game can take one for team

There are more substitutes now 

Not sure how else to say this