The Dons v Motherwell

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

It’s in our hands but we are far too fragile at the back. Even after we came back to 3-3 last night we still looked pretty shaky in moments and like we could concede again. 

Killie, st Mirren and Dundee so far don’t look like falling away in any significant fashion so to sneak top 6 we need a run of form that I just don’t think we have in us based on what I’ve seen. The defence (and Roos) are too much of a liability and as an attacking force simply not potent enough to compensate. 

Can’t disagree with anything you’ve said, but the hope lingers in my heart, if not my head. Roos is a particular worry just now. His confidence seems to be below zero. May just have to put Doohan in and trust that he doesn’t flog too many goals.

1 hour ago, The Master said:

I don’t see what you’re getting at here. 

The dotted lines show the projection down from the relevant body parts. When you have one player in front of another (in terms of the image, not the offside rule), at least one of those lines will need to “go through” the other player, and at least one will need to appear to cross the other solid line in its route to the ground.  

You will never convince me that when you don’t have a photo that’s even remotely in line, and lines and dotted lines are up in the air and intertwining,  offside given in a tight situation is a f*ck*ng guess, and the goal should be given. 

46 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Is there a chance this goes... quite badly? Like, I know everyone had their fun with Warnock signing and he's undeniably had a good career, but my concern was that he might treat the whole thing like a big jolly. Like a non-league side turning up at Parkhead and spending their warm up taking photos on the pitch because it's a good laugh and doesn't really matter.

Rather than concerning yourself with Aberdeen, if I were you I’d be more worried in taking a 3-0 lead after 26 minutes against a team managed by someone not taking it seriously, and not winning the game. 

11 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

You will never convince me that when you don’t have a photo that’s even remotely in line, and lines and dotted lines are up in the air and intertwining,  

There's a calibrated 3D model underpinning the whole thing, which is exactly why you don't need a still image that's in line. Not least because that would be nigh on impossible to have for every single situation.

The dotted lines are meant to be up in the air because they are projecting down the positions of the furthest-forward body parts. It's the solid lines on the ground - positioned using those projections - that are then used to (automatically) determine offside or not.

I still don't see your point about "intertwining". Firstly, they're not. Secondly, they cross each other because there's literally no other way for them to appear on the image.

However, those lines don't actually do anything other than show which body parts have been used to create the solid lines. Indeed, they're placed after the lines on the pitch have been determined by Hawk-Eye (which are determined by the VAR operator clicking the relevant body parts).

Watch the video here to see what happens: https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12881750/var-explained-drawing-the-lines-to-determine-offside  

11 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

offside given in a tight situation is a f*ck*ng guess, and the goal should be given. 

The on-field decision was offside. 

Edited by The Master

12 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

You will never convince me that when you don’t have a photo that’s even remotely in line, and lines and dotted lines are up in the air and intertwining,  offside given in a tight situation is a f*ck*ng guess, and the goal should be given. 

If the VAR is inconclusive though, it surely just goes with the on-field decision? So it shouldn't have been given.

Also, that angle, we are looking at it from an angle that isn't straight across. There's a good chance he's off and the linesmans' view would've been good.

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

Motherwell threw this game IMO.

No shit Sherlock. All that said in the cold light of day an away draw at a team who have spent the most on wages probably ever is a decent result. I would be more upset if I were a Dons fan. A good comeback yes, but to go 3-0 down at home to a team with less than half the budget is not a good look. 

Europe was a minimum expectation this season. Top 6 was non negotiable. Struggling to even achieve that. Actually bewildering with the players at their disposal. Getting £5m+ for Miovski will help dull the pain somewhat.

As for the comments on Kelly. He is out of contract. But it would not surprise me if we have offered him another contract. Probably earlier this season. My only hope is he does not take it or we change our minds. Unless his from picks up substantially which is looking unlikely. At the moment there is enough evidence to suggest he is the poorest keeper in the top flight.

Edited by welldaft

14 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Is Steve Tosh the thickest co commentator in football?

He is up there, but let is not forget that Kenny Miller still exists.

Really brutally partisan commentary all round on Reds TV (which is to be expected to a degree, but I do prefer a tiny bit of sense amongst the slavering).   The bit where one of them referred to Davor Zdravkovski as 'Davor Big long second name' was especially shit.

Edited by lennyzer0

59 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

To be fair, I thought Miovski was fucking miles off at the game

I wondered if he was unwell or something, he didnt seem to contribute much (great dart for the non goal aside).

No doubt he will have a worldy on Saturday...............

25 minutes ago, lennyzer0 said:

He is up there, but let is not forget that Kenny Miller still exists.

Really brutally partisan commentary all round on Reds TV (which is to be expected to a degree, but I do prefer a tiny bit of sense amongst the slavering).   The bit where one of them referred to Davor Zdravkovski as 'Davor Big long second name' was especially shit.

Between that and continually referring to Theo Bair as Theo Blair for the full game. I can excuse slightly Sky Sports news from doing it but not a Scottish commentator. Just lazy and ignorant.

He was so biased it was ridiculous. Not  wanting Motherwell to get a penalty, even tho he agreed it’s a foul, because Hibs didn’t get one the week before. 

He just also sounds like a big thick lump of wood, which doesn’t help his cause. 

I seriously think I'm in the minority here but (via the firestick thing) even if a game is on BT/Sky, I'll watch the club TV stream. I actually quite enjoy listening to the colloquial commentaries.

ETA (though hopefully shouldn't have to) that does not include Celtic or Rangers'* offerings 

Edited by Alert Mongoose

43 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I wondered if he was unwell or something, he didnt seem to contribute much (great dart for the non goal aside).

No doubt he will have a worldy on Saturday...............

You probably wouldn't see it as well on TV, but he was always making moves and dragging defenders around but didn't really get a clear chance at goal, that I can remember.

5 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I seriously think I'm in the minority here but (via the firestick thing) even if a game is on BT/Sky, I'll watch the club TV stream. I actually quite enjoy listening to the colloquial commentaries.

ETA (though hopefully shouldn't have to) that does not include Celtic or Rangers'* offerings 

The Celtic/Rangers commentaries are hilarious during an OF game where the other side scores. Sky and BT commentaries are mostly shit anyway.

10 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

There are some decent ones - I'm obviously a bit biased myself, but I think Laurie Dunsire and Jimmy Sandison do a good, fairly unbiased job on Hearts TV, and the Dee Tv guys were decent last week. 

3 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

The famous anti-Aberdeen bias, yes. :lol: Grow up.

Aye, it's usually "Glasgow bias" that's getting talked about. I like how that has morphed into "central-belt bias" so that it can encompass Motherwell to fuel the sense of injustice.

4 minutes ago, AJF said:

Aye, it's usually "Glasgow bias" that's getting talked about. I like how that has morphed into "central-belt bias" so that it can encompass Motherwell to fuel the sense of injustice.

No no no, you don’t get to take a moral high ground here. 

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

No no no, you don’t get to take a moral high ground here. 

Haha, no moral high ground intended. Central belt bias just humoured me a little.