St Johnstone v Rangers: Sun 18th Feb - 12:00

Just now, RossBFaeDundee said:

Don't need to foul Dessers in the box, you just know he isn't even going to shoot.

He has this weird fascination in trying to round the keeper every. single.

Just hit it ffs 

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

One of those ones where its a penalty one week and then not the next, such is the brilliance of VAR allowing multiple looks at it.

Games done anyway so it really doesnt matter to us either way, but it continues our poor form since the winter break.

Poor form you say?

*Checks fixtures*

f**k.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

Poor form you say?

*Checks fixtures*

f**k.

I wouldnt worry, i think we've only scored 3 away goals all season.

22 minutes ago, Girth said:

'Tav' with his 4000th goal from the spot. 

Surely Tav must be up there with the most number of penalties scored ever in world football.

Although no doubt Pele scored 500 for Santos but they weren’t recorded. 

Turned out a lot more comfortable in the end than it looked like it was going to.

Restricted St Johnstone to pretty much nothing as our amazing away defensive record continues. Only 4 goals conceded on the road in the league so far.

Not at our best in an attacking sense - too many attacks seemed to just peter away into nothing.

Still though, a big win with clear daylight between us and Celtic now with a better goal difference to boot. 49 points out of 54 under Clement is some going considering the fragile squad he inherited.

1 hour ago, Greenlantern said:

We shall not be moved 😂

1 hour ago, Greenlantern said:

More than trophies, It’s all about being above Sellic. 
It’s a monumental moment they’ll remember for years. 

Celtic fans "Stop singing sectarian songs! Sing about the football!"

Also Celtic fans : "Stop singing about being top of the league, it isn't fair!"

Good final score but we made heavy weather of it.  St Johnstone's tactics worked well for most of the match and the fact we needed 2 penalties to tie up the win says it all really.  We need to be far more clinical in front of goal and Dessers needs to make sure he has his boots on the correct feet.

9 minutes ago, Broughty said:

Second penalty to me is ridiculous, Luke Robinson had his back to where the ball came from so how is that not just accidental.

VAR strikes again.

Less of a penalty than the one we never got v Hearts. Its just a farce. 

At least without VAR the different decisions for the same incident could be excused as refs not having the same view all the time, quite how they still cant be consistent with time and multiple replays to decide, is beyond me.

33 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Less of a penalty than the one we never got v Hearts. Its just a farce. 

At least without VAR the different decisions for the same incident could be excused as refs not having the same view all the time, quite how they still cant be consistent with time and multiple replays to decide, is beyond me.

I’m surprised nobody is saying anything about Smith being wiped out early in the second half. Looked a clear penalty to me and if you think the one Dundee got last week was a penalty then this one was nailed on. 

For the first time in my life I left before full time. Left when the 2nd penalty was awarded. Was always against introducing VAR as it just gives another layer of incompetence the chance to f**k you over. Sooner it’s binned the better

1 hour ago, AJF said:

I don’t really like penalties given like that. It’s never deliberate and always comes down to a refs interpretation as to whether they’ve made their body unnaturally bigger.

He was throwing himself to block the ball with his back turned.

100% this. Whole purpose of penalties is to penslise the defensive team when they are deliberately fouling the attacking team. Tiny nudges on the edge of the box when player is going away from goal or a tiny touch on the back is not what it is intended for. Equally applies to an offside where the player in a millimetre offside 40 yards from goal.

The 2nd penalty today could be argued away as his arm moves the direction of the ball, but when a player is jumping, with his back turned to the ball, he isn't intentionally getting his arm in the way to block the ball. You'd argue from a defensive point of view that he shouldn't turn his back anyway, but still.... would love the ref to explain what Robinson should have stuck his arm given he was turned away and falling down? Presumably should just faceplant?

Can't argue that Rangers deserved the win, or that the first was a clear penalty. Why the ref shat it and didn't give it immediately is beyond me tbh.