What happened to top striker partnerships?

4 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

39? Then what's your excuse?

When we went up in 96 I wasn't able to get to many games for a bit. Before that we hadn't played Motherwell since I started going to games.

I know the name but he seemed to pass me by for some reason. I used to watch Sportscene all the time when I was younger but oddly have no memory of him!

Edited by DA Baracus

34 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

We AreNot amused.

We need someone (with better technical skills than me) to post a clip of that goal against Rangers (in their lilac strip) where Coyne plays a first time ball across goal for him to knock in.

I clipped a GIF of it but it's so low res it's not really worth posting.

The highlights of the game are here though and the wee man scores both.

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Agree, Brewster and Crawford were brilliant. 

2014 Stevie May and Steven Maclean was a brilliant partnership for us for a season, and we haven’t got close since.

Sturrock and Dodds at United

Coyne and Wright at Dundee

Robertson and Foster at Hearts

McCoist and Hately at Rangers

McGhee and Black at Aberdeen

Larsson and Sutton at Celtic

I remember Tommy Coyne coming down here and glad he got playing again.  Would loved to have seen more of Sturrock and Dodds and McGhee and Black; we only got brief highlights of their exploits.

10 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I clipped a GIF of it but it's so low res it's not really worth posting.

The highlights of the game are here though and the wee man scores both.

Cheers, proper strike partnership's goal. Wee Dougie loved a goal against the Old Firm. Almost as many as a Softie o.g.!

Edited by Archie McSquackle

On 17/02/2024 at 22:05, The Other Foot said:

IMG_3103.thumb.jpeg.7a4006f3e33663be4b7873cb1c76a3d4.jpeg

Obviously not as a JT, but as a Scotland fan - gutted these guys didn't become mainstays of the national team. Particularly O'Connor. Always thought he had the ability and physicality to be a Dykes-with-goals

Edited by Stylish Kid

4 hours ago, The Other Foot said:

IMG_3103.thumb.jpeg.7a4006f3e33663be4b7873cb1c76a3d4.jpeg

These two were ridiculously talented. They should have been the Scotland strikers for years and set goal scoring records for the national team whilst playing at a top European club level.

Sadly they were both mentalists who couldn't commit to a professional lifestyle. Indeed they couldn't even get close to that.

O'Connor has thankfully been really open about his issues and seemingly has sought help. He's been quite honest about his problems (there was a good BBC Scotland documentary about it) and seems like he's doing well.

Riordan was, to me, more talented, but he was unfortunately overcome by his problems. He genuinely could have been a generational talent. Sadly he couldn't escape his experiences growing up. 

Edited by DA Baracus

I started watching St Mirren in the early 90s and I can hardly think of a 2 up top partnership. Yardley and Lavety in 99/00 sprung to mind but that was more a front 3 with Junior Mendes.

Mehmet and Dargo, but Dargo was injured half the time and neither were exactly prolific for us.

I remember hearing an interview with riordan towards the end of his career and he was pressed on whether he had regrets about it. 

He kept just saying ‘you can’t change who your mates are’ and things like that. You realised he was always going to blow it. The interview genuinely irritated me, such a waste. 

The 2 seasons The Caley had Dennis Wyness and Paul Ritchie up front (01/02 & 02/03). It felt like we scored about 700 goals in that spell.