Stenhousemuir -vs- Clyde (Saturday 24 February 2024)

1 hour ago, Old Fashioned Stramash said:

Pure speculation, but wonder if Naysmith will think about starting Rodden in place of Aitken?

Get Rodden running and stretching the back line, pressing and just pushing it for 60 odd minutes. He doesn't hold the ball up well enough but he could give our attacking midfielders more space to work in. Bring Aitken on against some tiring defenders and he'll cause problems. 

Don't think the result is going to be as flattering as some Clyde fans think, this could be a tight game.

You don’t need to run and stretch our defence to win, ask Forfar. 

20 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

It's top versus bottom on Saturday as Stenhousemuir welcome Clyde to Ochilview. The Warriors are 15 points clear at the division's summit, while Clyde are eight points adrift in last place; a real contrast in fortunes!

Fortunes?   Seriously?  We have been stinking the league out all season!  It has nothing to do with fortunes.  

My last trip to Stenny saw you guys throw away two points in a game that you should comfortably have won. Stone me!  Even Gregor Buchanan scored against us!

Despite strengthening, I still believe that our defence would give Allison Becker the shakes.  It will probably be a game where we shall huff and puff like the last time, but Stenny will have way too much fuel in their tank for us. And we shall be coming into this game with our confidence shot having bottled it against the teams that we need to catch.  

I would like to think that we will play the ball on the deck to Jordan Allan (who will never win anything in the air), and the he will make a nuisance of himself among your defence.  Sadly, you will be way too strong for us. A convincing home win for Stenhousemuir, who are without doubt the best team I have seen over two showings.  Then again, the league table proves that.  

Edited by Fast_Action

1 hour ago, Old Fashioned Stramash said:

Just speculating 😅

I've seen most of Bradley Rodden's appearances since he joined the club and I don't think he's very good. He's quick off the mark, enthusiastic, and there's an unpredictability to his game but he seems unrefined and uncoordinated and it often feels like he's on a different wavelength to his team-mates. I thought he was poor on his only start, against Dumbarton, and it says a lot that Matty Yates came on as his replacement and completely changed the match in our favour.

He might be a useful option off the bench for the moment but I don't think he's done much to merit a place in the starting XI.

56 minutes ago, Old Fashioned Stramash said:

Fully agree. He's definitely not better than Aitken or the first 11.

Just let the dug off the lead against Clyde and watch him running around full pelt chasing the baw. 

Clyde players wondering what the f*** is going on 🤣

A wild suggestion, but we could maybe just start with our best players and try to outplay a team we're better than?

9 hours ago, Old Fashioned Stramash said:

Just let the dug off the lead against Clyde and watch him running around full pelt chasing the baw. 

Clyde players wondering what the f*** is going on 🤣

Doesn’t matter who you pick, the Clyde players will be wondering what the f*** is going on,  fans as well, we’ve been wondering what the f***’s been going on for a couple of seasons.

8 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

A wild suggestion, but we could maybe just start with our best players and try to outplay a team we're better than?

On top of that, I think Matty Aitken's best performance of the season was against Clyde at the end of December. He scored twice and led the line so well that afternoon. I appreciate this was before Clyde had the opportunity to turn over their team, but still - let him cook!

43 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

On top of that, I think Matty Aitken's best performance of the season was against Clyde at the end of December. He scored twice and led the line so well that afternoon. I appreciate this was before Clyde had the opportunity to turn over their team, but still - let him cook!

If Howie is still injured it'll likely be big Pedro Grant that plays and let me tell you, Matty Aitken will be able to pull out his best impression of bespectacled berk Heston Blumenthal against that boy

10 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

If Howie is still injured it'll likely be big Pedro Grant that plays and let me tell you, Matty Aitken will be able to pull out his best impression of bespectacled berk Heston Blumenthal against that boy

Couldn't we "promote" Peter Grant to Kitman or something? Hell, I wouldn't mind if he took over as Chairman providing he promises not to play anymore. It's just bad comedy at this point. 

1 hour ago, bullyweehutch said:

Remember guys don't shout at the players or the board 

494b3bd6e9bf4711f69d75e192942c8c.jpg

Personally, I think fans should be free to give players pelters for playing poorly if they wish. The question is, does it ever result in improving player performance? 

I would suggest it at best has no effect but often can result in the player becoming even worse - either deliberately in a "get it up ye" or just through panic/increased nerves due to the abuse. 

21 minutes ago, RutherGlen said:

I would suggest it at best has no effect but often can result in the player becoming even worse - either deliberately in a "get it up ye" or just through panic/increased nerves due to the abuse. 

Spot on. "I pay my money like everyone else !!11111!1!11!1!1!!" merchants seem to be unable to grasp this, though.

1 hour ago, RutherGlen said:

Personally, I think fans should be free to give players pelters for playing poorly if they wish. The question is, does it ever result in improving player performance? 

This. The amount of abuse Ross Lyon gets at certain times is unreal, the poor lads not up to standard, but it's certainly not his fault that we gave him a contract, and that managers keep playing him! 

Edited by maccanee

13 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Peter grant will surely also be injured, or at least he better be after sitting down on the half way line and selling Forfar their second goal on Tuesday.

1 hour ago, maccanee said:

This. The amount of abuse Ross Lyon gets at certain times is unreal, the poor lads not up to standard, but it's certainly not his fault that we gave him a contract, and that managers keep playing him! 

We’ve been cleverly reducing the level of the club year on year to help him find his feet. Next season in the lowland league he’ll do a job just fine.

3 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Ross Lyon played 25+ games for Stenny in the 21/22 season at a mixture of right and left back. He was reasonable at worst. Perhaps Ross Lyon isn't the problem.

Mind this isn’t his first stint at the club. We've seen him in good and bad Clyde sides. He was okay at full back in League 2 in the first stint but there was a far better team around him then. His weaknesses have been shown up the past two seasons.

He's certainly the least of our worries at the moment though.