Stenhousemuir -vs- Clyde (Saturday 24 February 2024)

It's top versus bottom on Saturday as Stenhousemuir welcome Clyde to Ochilview. The Warriors are 15 points clear at the division's summit, while Clyde are eight points adrift in last place; a real contrast in fortunes!

After putting out patchwork sides against East Fife and Elgin City in recent weeks, Stenhousemuir should have a full complement of players to select from. Gary Naysmith will be able to field his first-choice back four, while further forward, Ross Taylor will be available, a huge boon to our attacking options. I imagine we'll field our tried-and-tested XI, with the option to bring on Taylor later in the match. It's a good position to be in.

Let's go with:

- Matty Aitken -

- Euan O'Reilly - Matty Yates - Adam Brown -

- Mikey Anderson - Nat Wedderburn -

- Kinlay Bilham - Nicky Jamieson - Gregor Buchanan - Ross Meechan -

- Darren Jamieson -

As for Clyde... after a superb win over Dumbarton at the weekend, they've taken one giant step back by losing another six-pointer against Forfar Athletic tonight. They just can't do it when it comes to the showdown! The team don't appear to be any better under Ian McCall than they were under Brian McLean, despite the large turnover of personnel, and you feel as though ninth place is beyond them and the rest of the season will be used to build momentum going into the League 2 play-offs.

I'm backing Stenhousemuir to win this match but they'll have to be at their best. Clyde could (and maybe should?) have won the last meeting between the sides in FK5, so we cannot afford to be complacent. I'll see you there!

Edited by Francesc Fabregas
Atrocious arithmetic

This is the kind of game in which we've generally done well over the last month or so - one in response to a ruinously bad result that we are firmly second favourites in. We're getting to a point now, however, where pressure exists to get a result in these games. I suspect we will improve on tonight's showing (that won't be hard!), but that Stenhousemuir will simply have too much for us. 

25 minutes ago, Old Fashioned Stramash said:

Can see Jacobs starting, in place of Brown. 

Just want Aitken to get on the score sheet and a Warriors win. 

The 3 in midfield is just too stodgy. Anderson is better box to box rather than starting further up.

If Taylor is fully fit I'd start him and try and terrorise Clyde from the word go.

There's no point even suggesting we will have a fully fit squad anymore. Seems to be a few of the lads carrying injuries from game to game or picking things up in training but if we had a full quota then I would go back to the usual team and formation.

Jacobs has been brilliant for us but I just don't feel the balance is quite right in there with the three of them. We are a far better team with the usual axis and Yates in the ten.

And also. The Bully Wee.

I'm not expecting a result but I really wouldn't be surprised if we got one, particularly if Allan can actually find his shooting boots.

However, as mentioned above, we'll only go on to give points away to Elgin & Forfar in the following matches anyway.

It doesn't matter now so it's hard to care now about any fixture apart from the last half a dozen before the playoffs now for a bit of form.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

Good result for us at Peterhead last night. We've played two difficult away games now in East Fife and Elgin, two teams who appear to be on  the up, so to come away undefeated I think is just another demonstration of the strength within the squad. 

Back at Ochilview against the bottom team in the league, I would love to see Ross Taylor back in the starting line up.

Pure speculation, but wonder if Naysmith will think about starting Rodden in place of Aitken?

Get Rodden running and stretching the back line, pressing and just pushing it for 60 odd minutes. He doesn't hold the ball up well enough but he could give our attacking midfielders more space to work in. Bring Aitken on against some tiring defenders and he'll cause problems. 

Don't think the result is going to be as flattering as some Clyde fans think, this could be a tight game.

36 minutes ago, Old Fashioned Stramash said:

Pure speculation, but wonder if Naysmith will think about starting Rodden in place of Aitken?

Get Rodden running and stretching the back line, pressing and just pushing it for 60 odd minutes. He doesn't hold the ball up well enough but he could give our attacking midfielders more space to work in. Bring Aitken on against some tiring defenders and he'll cause problems. 

Don't think the result is going to be as flattering as some Clyde fans think, this could be a tight game.

You're off your head.

1 hour ago, Old Fashioned Stramash said:

i bloody well hope he doesnt. this isnt the time to start experimenting or subbing the leagues top goalscorer