Thought I would pop my head in to say "Hello" as we will more than likely be seeing you next year.

Uncle Albert

On 11/04/2024 at 23:36, Spyro said:

Did you get to the part where we delved deep into the bin collections of Harthill, and using Google earth measurments to decide where Luncarty should go? Shit got intense 😂

Spyro, tell us more about your bin dipping experiences in Harthill 😂

Did you get to the part where we delved deep into the bin collections of Harthill, and using Google earth measurments to decide where Luncarty should go? Shit got intense 😂

Wars have been started for less than the demarcation lines on the Lanarkshire/West Lothian front.

Best not go there with the Bridge over the River Tay story.

• 3 weeks later...

A few Pie&Bovrilites heavily embarrassed themselves at the Battle of the Tay Bridge.

Funnily enough they never mentioned Tayport during the whole process.

The skirmish over the Harthill transmitter was slightly different, most of the big hitters had the sense to remain neutral rather than be laughed off the page.

On 07/04/2024 at 08:42, GordonS said:

As the crow flies Stranraer is closer to Hampden, Belfast, England, the Isle of Man and even the country of Ireland than it is to Gretna. Though Gretna would, just be their shortest drive, if Stranraer go down their geographically closest rival will either be East Kilbride, or if they go up, Caledonian Braves.

Albion Rovers by a couple of miles is closer than Gretna, and faster to get to because of the quality of the roads north of Ayr. 

On 21/02/2024 at 08:26, Uncle Albert said:

Well after last night's 0-2 loss to Forfar it looks like we (Clyde) will be joining you guys down here next season, There is no way on earth we will win the required amount of games to catch up now and as for the playoffs, well the less said the better.

Well after last Saturday’s 0-2 loss to Forfar I think you need to transfer ownership of this thread to us (Stranraer). 

On 10/04/2024 at 14:39, An Absolute Imposter said:

We have an added problem in the West and South West of having 2 leagues at Tier 6. 

The traditional SOS League have been in the pyramid since inception and were the defacto league for any team West of Stirling, Falkirk down to the Borders. It is still in the SOSFL constitution that any club in D&G, Lanarkshire, Ayrshire, Glasgow area can apply for membership; see Glasgow Wellington carry on from last season.

Gretna in fact were never a South club and were members of EOS at startup. They were refused entry to SOSFL in 2009 or so. 

The fun began when a WOS league was conceived just before lockdown; for me the SOS were happy to not rock the boat about any boundary queries, and the WOSFL was born or reborn, slotting in beside the EOSFL and the SOSFL at Tier 6 and below.

Most clubs were from the old SJFA West Region. A few amateur clubs from Glasgow joined; Drumchapel and St Cadoc's in addition to Glasgow University 1st team, who joined up in fear of losing their historical SFA license if they remained outside the pyramid. Also, Bonnyton (Kilmarnock based) were currently in the SOSFL at Tier 6 and asked to join the new WOSFL, they did so at Tier 6, which I believe ruffled a few feathers in the West.

Roll forward to 2022 and a serving member of the SOSFL joins the WOSFL for season 2022/23. But, just to add to it they leave the South as a Tier 6 club and join the West at Tier 10, the bottom rung on the ladder, this club is Threave Rovers, from Castle Douglas bang in the middle of the Galloway a few miles from the south coast of Solway.

Now to add to this saga both Threave Rovers and Caley Braves, although designated WOSFL clubs are still members of the Southern Counties FA and take part in the Cup competition for such members. 

Now, this is not gospel so don't quote me on it, but my understanding is that if a South designated club i.e. Gretna or Dalbeattie Star, or even Stranraer if they fall off the cliff, were being relegated from Tier 5 (Lowland). That if they wanted to join the West would have to do a Threave and tag on at the bottom, as they are not deemed as a WOSFL club.

Of course I could be talking pish, as I say I am not involved with any club or association, just a fan who attends both WOSFL and SOSFL games. My info is based on talks and comments I have heard been told at different clubs and asking/listening to stuff on different forums.

It is interesting and entertaining stuff. To be fair to all, the juggling about by some clubs has not appeared to cause any great disharmony either in the South or West leagues.

Bonnyton seem settled and a part of the furniture; as for Threave, probably down to them joining at the bottom, they are after just shy of 2 seasons accepted as a WOSFL club and have had zero negativity coming their way from any clubs in the WOSFL, in fact ask any club who have visited Meadow Park and they are seen as a welcome addition.

If Gretna occupy a relegation spot I can add them to one of my SOSFL destinations for next season, unless they throw a curve ball and ask to join the WOSFL.

The devil inside me wishes they would, purely for the entertainment value.

If Caley Braves are ever relegated themselves, there is still a part of me that feels there is an element in the WOSFL that would try to block them entering at Tier 6, the WOSFL constitution does make mention of not accepting a club that has not played in the WOSFL previously. But Bonnyton did enter at Tier 6 at startup so there is a precedent there.

Anyway hope you find this interesting. Drop into the West forum every now and then it is very entertaining and never fails to make me laugh and forget ny troubles.

An opportunity to create a rational structure was missed when the WoSFL was set up. The South could have said that under their constitution they were the league for the west juniors to join. With only two leagues under the Lowland I suspect we would have had automatic promotion and relegation by now without the need for playoffs. 

11 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Albion Rovers by a couple of miles is closer than Gretna, and faster to get to because of the quality of the roads north of Ayr. 

It's a hell of a trek though till you get to Ayr, traversed it many a morning and night getting the boat across to Larne and back. Would rather go along the tractor road every time personally. 

10 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

An opportunity to create a rational structure was missed when the WoSFL was set up. The South could have said that under their constitution they were the league for the west juniors to join. With only two leagues under the Lowland I suspect we would have had automatic promotion and relegation by now without the need for playoffs. 

I have said this since the beginning of the WOSFL. At the time the impression from the SOS was one of keeping the head down hoping no-one would notice they were around. For the WOS thay came across as quite happy that the SOS were not playing this card.

Probably way off the mark in my summation but I don’t recall at the time of the WOSFL birth anyone, anywhere bringing up that the SOS covered from the Solway up to Loch Lomond in their constitution.

It's crazy below Tier 5 we have 3 Leagues consisting of 80, 57 then 11, removing the 2, B teams in the EOS and SOS. 

I do appear to be a lone voice in the wilderness regarding this anomaly in the Western part of the Lowlands. 

And for me it's the perfect get out of jail card for the LL.

10 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Stranraer to Gretna  one hell of a trek.

3 hours ago, annan4eva said:

Stranraer to Gretna  one hell of a trek.

On dark winter's night with the Artics from Hell behind you racing for the Irish boat.

What possibly could go wrong?

Edited by PossilYM

52 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

On dark winter's night with the Artics from Hell behind you racing for the Irish boat.

Most of the time Hell's Arctics are flying past you at least double the speed limit of 40mph. 

It's even more scary in a horse lorry, when they fly past horns blazing. Luckily my girl's horses are quite calm.

1 hour ago, PossilYM said:

Its a pity they never thought to have some sort of heavy rail line linking Dumfries and Stranraer.

Oh, hang on.....

1 hour ago, MrFizz said:

Its a pity they never thought to have some sort of heavy rail line linking Dumfries and Stranraer.

Oh, hang on.....

That very project is due for completion at the very same time as the duelling of the A75 I’m told on good authority from Westminster. 

6 hours ago, annan4eva said:

That very project is due for completion at the very same time as the duelling of the A75 I’m told on good authority from Westminster. 

Who or what's the A75 going to be fighting with?

10 hours ago, MrFizz said:

Tractors at dawn.

11 hours ago, rockson said:

Who or what's the A75 going to be fighting with?

Toss up between crazy farming contractors and even crazier Irish lorry drivers.

The A75 will be handy for Gretna should Stranraer go down.  

If I'm not mistaken it's the link road between Dumfries and Stranraer.  I've been on it when I went to see Shire at Dalbeattie Star after the Dumfries turn off.

If you love getting car sick then the A75 is an absolute joy.

5 hours ago, come on shire said:

The A75 will be handy for Gretna should Stranraer go down.  

If I'm not mistaken it's the link road between Dumfries and Stranraer.  I've been on it when I went to see Shire at Dalbeattie Star after the Dumfries turn off.

If you love getting car sick then the A75 is an absolute joy.

Only we in the forgotten county can criticise oor tractor road. 😉

It's actually a very important part of the Trans- European- Transport-Network; or the E18 if you prefer. Linking the beautiful emerald isle with the greater European landmass via Gt.Britain &Norn Iron, or the UK if you prefer.

I know you wouldn't think it was a vital link driving it, especially after the Wigtonshire Roundabout.

One of the most pleasing sights for us Gallovidian's is viewing a big green claas coming 'hurtling' toward you on the opposite carriageway followed by 'hunners' of ferry traffic all of whom have the look of abject despair on their wee faces.

What makes it more comical is knowing that the 12 year old tractor driver is perusing old episodes of Emmerdale on his on-board entertainment system completely and absolutely oblivious to the carnage and seething hordes crawling behind him. 🤣🤣🤣