Montrose FC Vs Alloa Athletic FC

Looking forward to this. Montrose face a side we have a poor record against, while they are in great form. We will need to be at our best and for SP to come up with an absolute master plan for us to stand any chance of taking the wind out of Alloa's sails. If we do take something from this and Cove next week, it will really help our playoff aspirations.

We need to be 100% on it from the get go, as Alloa will take full advantage if we aren't.

Hopefully having a large and loud home support to cheer on the Mo will be a help.

Edited by Brummo
absolutely!

Unlike Cove and Hamilton, Montrose have had good results recently. I think in the form table they're just behind us.

Last few seasons, we've done pretty well against Montrose so hopefully it continues!

There's a wee preview of the game on this weeks episode of our podcast in you fancy a listen before Saturday - https://waspsnest.buzzsprout.com

Both teams being on a good run of form just now should make this a really good game. Would take a draw right now, with having the game in hand over Montrose, but expecting a really competitive game.

The game at the end of last season at Links Park had a really decent crowd, hopefully it's similar on Saturday.

4 hours ago, Kevchenko said:

There's a wee preview of the game on this weeks episode of our podcast in you fancy a listen before Saturday - https://waspsnest.buzzsprout.com

Both teams being on a good run of form just now should make this a really good game. Would take a draw right now, with having the game in hand over Montrose, but expecting a really competitive game.

The game at the end of last season at Links Park had a really decent crowd, hopefully it's similar on Saturday.

If you are a Montrose fan, I would skip the podcast until around the 40 minute mark. No disrespect to the rest of the material intended.

F.w.i.w. I thought the Montrose preview was a reasonably fair and accurate assessment.

On 26/02/2024 at 12:44, Brummo said:

Looking forward to this. Montrose face a side we have a poor record against, while they are in great form. We will need to be at our best and for SP to come up with an absolute master plan for us to stand any chance of taking the wind out of Alloa's sails. If we do take something from this and Cove next week, it will really help our playoff aspirations.

We need to be 100% on it from the get go, as Alloa will take full advantage if we aren't.

Hopefully having a large and loud home support to cheer on the Mo will be a help.

Perhaps a wee bit OTT, I'm not sure an "absolute masterplan" is required to defeat the Wasps!

Been saying this every week but while our run of wins has been excellent, we remain very much a work in progress. To be honest all of the five wins were close games, even Cove, and our performances weren't great in all of them either, something the manager acknowledged. But we're well organised now, making the most of what we have and the spirit is clearly really good. 

Traditionally our record against Montrose is good but that isn't the case this season. We chucked away a point at Links Park in one of the rare decent showings under Brian Rice, a game from which we deserved a point at least, then we chucked away two points at the Recs having done the hard work to get 2-0 up. Alloa will feel one point was a poor reflection on those two games and it clearly has a huge impact on the table when the sides are so close. Bound to be really encouraging for Montrose. 

Hopefully Scougall is back on Saturday, felt he was really missed at Hamilton. 

Going to this game. My birthday treat from my wife with accomodation and a night out to follow. Hope the result is as good as the arrangements she has made. This is probably the biggest challenge to our wonderful progress up the table since Andy took over. Defence is improving, midfield starting to motor and lots of options up front. Looking forward to a hard fought match.

Guessing Miko will be fit for Saturday but if he's not would be nice to have Scougall available to play in the deeper role. If not I'd guess Robbo would play.

I'm not a big fan of Andy bringing Sammon on and pushing Wales out to the wing, don't think it gets the best out of Bobby. Would be interested to see Sammo play behind Wales to try and get some flick ons for him to chase.

I think the way we are using Sammon at the moment is working well. His game time has reduced but hes making a contribution. Made that winner at Hamilton on Saturday, terrific at Motherwell too. The big man will always have a quiet day or two but despite not starting hes played his part in recent successes. I wouldnt be changing it.

Agree, think the way we have been doing it works a treat. Don't want to see Wales start on the wing but his most effective part of the game at Accies was his little cameo on the left. Despite Sammo's height, he isn't a striker who'll win those flick-ons, like MacIver. His attributes lie elsewhere. Much rather have Scouggs in behind with his energy.

Couldn't make it along so nervously following BBC and club Twitter (X if you musk) updates.

So pleased that we ultimately made good on the man advantage and got all three points in what was a "six pointer" in terms of playoff progress.

Let's keep the MOmentum up for our visit to the Balmoral Stadium next Saturday.

C.O.Y.Mo!

What a game! It had nearly everything. Could have gone either way I guess but Montrose just that bit more clinical in front of goal. 

No idea what the straight red was for, was it a kick out or dissent? I was fearing the worst when Sammon came on, thought he was bound to score and then thought Alloa’s keeper had snatched a draw at the end. 

Another massive game next week against cove to look forward to. Hopefully Luke Graham’s injury isn’t too serious. 

Lastly, hope all is well with our elderly fan who suffered what appeared to be a medical emergency in the second half and was stretchered away 

Should never have lost that game, played some nice stuff and had loads of chances. Shot ourselves in the foot with conceding soft goals though - 2nd and 4th in particular - and the red card, whatever it was for. Encouraging thing was that the boys never stopped despite those setbacks. Looked the better team with 10 men and had a great chance to got 4-3 up then almost equalising again at the end. So I wouldn't be too down about it, I'm sure they'll bounce back. 

Most disappointing thing is that's 7 points for the Mo from the head to head and that in no way reflects the 3 games. But fair play to Montrose for keeping going in each of those matches, could well end up being crucial. 

Edited by Waspie

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Should never have lost that game, played some nice stuff and had loads of chances. Shot ourselves in the foot with conceding soft goals though - 2nd and 4th in particular - and the red card, whatever it was for. Encouraging thing was that the boys never stopped despite those setbacks. Looked the better team with 10 men and had a great chance to got 4-3 up then almost equalising again at the end. So I wouldn't be too down about it, I'm sure they'll bounce back. 

Most disappointing thing is that's 7 points for the Mo from the head to head and that in no way reflects the 3 games. But fair play to Montrose for keeping going in each of those matches, could well end up being crucial. 

Great the "absolute masterplan" from Petrie worked yet again to deny the "better team" a point.

The sending off was because the player concerned who received a booking for a foul, immediately afterwards used expletive language towards the referee. That was what earned him a sending off.

Edited by Brummo

5 minutes ago, Brummo said:

Great the "absolute masterplan" from Petrie worked yet again to deny the "better team" a point.

The sending off was because the player concerned who received a booking for a foul, immediately afterwards used expletive language towards the referee. That was what earned him a sending off.

Are you saying that the red card was a result of two yellows being issued to Cawley? Or was it a straight red?

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Looks like this was a belter. What on earth did wee Kev do to get sent off?!

No idea, possibly dissent?

A hugely eventful game which you couldn't take your eyes off for a second. While our defence had a real off day, credit must be given to both teams for the attacking intent. The fans got their money's worth.

4 minutes ago, printer said:

Are you saying that the red card was a result of two yellows being issued to Cawley? Or was it a straight red?

I wasn't there. The point is that I have heard it was a needless sending off, in that the foul on its own was probably insufficient to merit a red card.

One of the most entertaining games seen at Links Park in years. Some great goals & a stomach-churning see-saw of a match. Both teams determined to win the game & both going at it full throttle.

Lyons’ opener butnegging the kerper at his near post, Dillo’s thunderb*****d header to level things just before half time, after we’d given away two very cheap goals, set the tone.

Kane Hester’s trickery sent a third whistling home not long after the re-start and when Cawley’s petulance saw him sent off on the hour we seemed set fair. Alloa were also in a bad mood; Neill at no. 6 had an epic tantrum meltdown at whoever plays left back for Alloa, and got his abuse back with interest.

However yet again we conspired to give away an awful third goal, a lot of ball watching & leaving it for someone else to deal with caused the equaliser.

I actually felt that Alloa became less threatening when they brought that big galoot Sammon on. The Irish Frankenstein- missing only the bolt through his neck- had lots of long balls launched towards him which was all very well, but Alloa were much better playing it on the ground & pulling us out of shape.

Webster’s winner was a thing of beauty and I haven’t celebrated a goal like that for a while at Links Park. A great way to win the game which we deserved, just.

An outrageous backheel from Webster in the centre circle almost set up Hester, too, but the ball just wouldn’t fall kindly for him at the critical moment, after a long run.

Really great game & an important win. Onto Cove where we should travel confidently.