Euro 2025

Lurkst

2 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

Budapest? Looks like a public pitch out Great Western Road way.

The home ground of Budaörsi, not one of the great names of Hungarian football. They might give Israel women a game though.

16 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

That was pretty decent, fair play. 

Much better performance than the last one I saw. Israel weren't up to much, but 5-0 was a good result.

Israel urny very good but we put more past them than the other teams that have played them so far. Ominously good show by Serbia last night, though. If KMaC were at all interested in the women's team he'd be saying 'Worra performance by Scotland, so many talking points, but a big, big game coming up against Serbia...'

In that light I appreciate their efforts even more. It looks a lot like they decided not to give Israel anything to motivate them before they game and, as the saying goes, do their talking on the pitch.

With the demented qualification system it doesn't make any difference whether we win our group or are in the two best runner-up spots (or three best if Switzerland are above us), we'd still be seeded in the play-off first round and unseeded in the second round anyway. So the Serbia game isn't strictly a must-win, but the points would come in very handy.

Posted (edited)

Does winning the group not get us promoted to League A for the next Nations League? That would be helpful since it's where we want to be and even as bad as we have been recently we weren't actually miles off Belgium.

With head-to-head being the first tie-breaker in UEFA competitions we'll definitely win the group if we beat Serbia at Hampden, which I think we will, regardless of what happens in the other games (or even if Israel are binned before the games, which seems unlikely).

Edited by craigkillie

9 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

It is absolute nonsense that the final round of games are being played in pre season for the vast majority of players.

It's a rum one, certainly. Of course, until Covid the SWPL played across the summer.

On 07/06/2024 at 23:59, craigkillie said:

Does winning the group not get us promoted to League A for the next Nations League?

It does, but it's probably more useful to be in League A in a Euros year than a World Cup year. They won't use it for World Cup qualification whereas it gets you a guaranteed play-off place for the Euros, against a League C side in the first round and a 7/8 chance of being seeded against a League B team in the second. It's the only way to get guaranteed qualification too. Bloody stupid format.

The only thing that matters though is making it to Switzerland, missing three tournaments in a row soon turns into 4, 5, 6, so we want to be gubbing Serbia and Slovakia and going into the play-offs in form.

Still got Weir and Watson to come back too, though the ACL epidemic will presumably hit someone else next. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed that I got an email from the SFA about tickets for this game, and it looks like it's being played at Firhill:

b82dc26f-d441-b707-7fd0-2bad9544db2d.thumb.png.e99961dbb442de4fea6546e015996fb4.png

Annoyingly, it's on the same night as the second round of group-stage fixtures in the League Cup, which I hadn't realised.

Seems a bit of a pity, really (though obviously the SFA don't control the scheduling of the games).

On 17/06/2024 at 21:46, wEEgIE bOrEd said:

Just noticed that I got an email from the SFA about tickets for this game, and it looks like it's being played at Firhill:

b82dc26f-d441-b707-7fd0-2bad9544db2d.thumb.png.e99961dbb442de4fea6546e015996fb4.png

Annoyingly, it's on the same night as the second round of group-stage fixtures in the League Cup, which I hadn't realised.

Seems a bit of a pity, really (though obviously the SFA don't control the scheduling of the games).

Strange kick off time, 6pm.

Better with 3000/4000 at Firhill than at an almost empty Hampden.

Plus i can walk there and back.

• 3 weeks later...

Slovakia away tonight. Play-off place in the horrendously complex Euro 25 qualification malarkey secured but progression in the horrendously complex Nations League malarkey still at stake.

Pedro may be limited but he's Spanish so gaun him.

7 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

Slovakia away tonight. Play-off place in the horrendously complex Euro 25 qualification malarkey secured but progression in the horrendously complex Nations League malarkey still at stake.

Pedro may be limited but he's Spanish so gaun him.

Also at stake is seeding - we need to make sure we're seeded for the first play-off round draw. We need to be top of the group or one of the two (probably three) best runners-up. A win tonight guarantees that.

YAAAASS! We fkn needed that!

Was starting to look like the Israel games were an anomaly. Should go and bury them now.

Oh look, is that the fifth time the signal has been lost?