🔴🟡Thistle vs Raith Rovers🔵⚪️ - Tuesday 12th March

Just now, SirJimmyofNic said:

Theres still two bogey teams that could sink our boat even if we do manage to overhaul Utd ............................. Airdrie n feckin Arbroath 

think positive and believe

5 minutes ago, Varna Rover said:

the defining game for us is on the 30th of this month away to DU. if we dont lose that game i would say we are favourites to win the leagu

Nonsense. Time and time again this season it's been proven this league every weekend. You'd think you'd know that by now?!

The last 20 minutes of the game where we were trying to get the ball into the box was some of the most frustrating football I can remember in a long time. It was like the whole team had forgotten how to lift the ball more than 3 feet off the ground. Weak, underhit nonsense attempts over and over and over again.

Raith won’t have to do less to win a game this season. One decent cross into the box, sit around watching us huff and puff ourselves to nothing and back up the road with three points. Fair play.

Just home from that and it was absolutely brutal watching bar a flurry of half chances in the first 20ish minutes. Our defence looks absolutely devoid of any confidence, everyone looked nervy on the ball especially in the second half. So many loose passes , it was wild

Like has been said, when Lawless and Fitzpatrick have an off game we’re guff. We’ve nobody to replace them with and we rely too much on Graham. 

Not wanting to panic though, Dolan is a young manager and (as 99.9% of managers do) will go through a rough patch. Hopefully we can sort it out for the next few games or we could fall adrift the playoff places. 

11 points from the last 10 games and we’re still third is absolutely bonkers. Some league this. 

2 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

Nonsense. Time and time again this season it's been proven this league every weekend. You'd think you'd know that by now?!

why their is 2 teams in this league that have any chance of direct promotion. RR and DU so your arguement is lost 

23 minutes ago, pub car king said:

The other side to that is a Dundee United side that's been top for the majority of the season crash at the final hurdle. They could be done mentally and the expectation gets to them. 

Plus they are not in great shape financially and are banking on going straight back up. 

Possibly yeah, it's been quite a gruelling season for everyone though so I think the playoffs will be a slog no matter who ends up in them. My biggest concern if I'm Raith, Thistle, or Morton is one of the three falling down to 5th and being replaced by someone in the chasing pack coming into them on good form given how important momentum can be.

the top 2 are virtually guaranteed a play off spot one win each will guarantee that so its all to play for for the other 8 teams. to get the 2 remaining play off spots and that could be anyone from 8th to 5th

37 minutes ago, Reid said:

100% agree with this.

Raith took their 1 half chance and we had half a dozen but couldn’t score. We struggle massively when Lawless and Fitzpatrick are off their game as we have no replacement for them. Raith brought on Vaughan, Rudden, Byrne, Smith and we brought on Diack, Bannigan and Stanway. We are carrying a few injuries but Raith squads has more quality than us.

And Hamilton had 2 great chances

A truly brilliant result for us if not the smoothest of performances, gritty but certainly not great, but hey at the end of the day I'll take a win no matter how ugly.

On the plus side we defended well after a very shaky 20 min spell where we were all over the place, defenders and midfielders chasing shadows allowing the Jags to simply pass and cut right through us.  Our defending at this stage was chaotic and Murray in particular was caught out of position and generally looked like a headless chicken. Thankfully things improved drastically, we scored and it seemed to throw Partick into disarray.

Hamilton should have found the net at least once (the header should have been lobbed in), but it was funny when their keeper collided with him, the BBC pics showed that Mitchel swung his left leg into Hammy but only seemed to do far more damage to himself than the striker.

Easton  didn't exactly have a shocker but he wasn't great, much the same for Connolly and  Stants who couldn't seem to get a foot on the ball.  Broony and Dicko were the pick of our backline defensively but at the opposite end Murray did at long last what we've seen him do before, his header was O'Riellyesque (v Pars), more of the same please son.  The other Brown (James) had his best game for us so far, yet why am I still not 100% convinced in him?

Big Kev had a good game making several good stops, catching a cross and generally looking quite solid, that said I think he misjudged the header at the end thinking it was sliding past.  Turner had his best game for us tonight too imo, the ball for the header was sweet as a nut.

My MotM was Ross Matthews, he looked back to his old self tonight always seeming to be in the right place at the time and making the right passes.

If that blue card idea ever comes to pass I'd wager that the rugby tackle that McBeth made would be the sort of challenge that would likely merit one. 

I've seen the Firhill surface worse in the past, much worse but that was when Clyde or Hamilton were sharing or possibly even when Glasgow Warriors were there. Tonight it looked lumpy as f**k, several times the as the ball bounced it jumped or inexplicably died, it looked a nightmare to play on.

Largely Rovers snuffed out their danger men and as said earlier if Lawless isn't on it they look a wee bit toothless, Brian Graham is still a right good player but his talents are fading some.

Rovers were at sixes and sevens, Jags only at fives and sixes on a scale out of ten.

Edited by Scottydog

Listened to the game and thought we were pretty lucky...watched the highlights and was reminded of our toothless offence last year as Partick pelted balls all around the goal. Lucky, lucky, lucky.

5 hours ago, RR #1 said:

Defence was excellent again.  Turner had his best game yet and I love Ross Mathews. Great win.

I hope IM gets to love Rossco too and gives him another contract. He seems back to his best now.

Pretty much in "Dugmeat" territory now with injuries piling up,opposition easily nullifying our all too predictable attacking options and a defence scared of it's own shadow.

Can't see Dools turning this around as he has limited options on the bench .Lose on Saturday and Airdrie win against Arbroath and its goodbye to playoffs IMHO.

9 hours ago, Reid said:

Raith took their 1 half chance and we had half a dozen but couldn’t score. 

Until the last minute header, the 3 best chances were for Raith. Hamilton x 2 and the phantom call when Stanton was clean through

Heart in the mouth stuff when Graham’s header came off the top of the bar late on as well as the last minute header back off the post. Phew. When your lucks in, it’s in. 

Great defensive performance last night. Nice to see some steel about us and responding excellently after the Arbroath disaster. We’re still here United….

12 hours ago, Highlandmagar said:

8 league games without a win. Fell off a cliff. Doolan hasnt a clue how to sort it. Time he was binned. 3 awful goalkeepers, dreadful defence and a non existant midfield. 

12 hours ago, 0neTeamInGlasgow said:

9 points off the relegation play offs, definitely need to start looking down the way. Doolans jacket has to be on a shoogly peg unless he can arrest this slump sharpish.

12 hours ago, Highlandmagar said:

I have no idea what he means by burner accounts.

12 hours ago, 0neTeamInGlasgow said:

That the best you can do? It ain't the same name yer clueless pal go back to sleep

cringescrunch.gif

We weren’t great last night but much like against the Pars the opposition just were not good enough in the final 3rd. 
That being said Brian Graham still looks like a serious threat. He was fantastic when he played for us and it’s good to see him still playing well. 

1 hour ago, mrpaddyx said:

We weren’t great last night but much like against the Pars the opposition just were not good enough in the final 3rd. 
That being said Brian Graham still looks like a serious threat. He was fantastic when he played for us and it’s good to see him still playing well. 

It'll be great to see him playing well at Tannadice on the 3rd of May.