The race for Europe Kilmarnock v St Mirren 16/03/2024

Don't think there was much change of formation at HT with Watson playing on the right 1st half anyway, just a major shift in attitude.

Thought at HT that the next goal in the game would be massive (as it always is at 0-2, either it goes 0-3 game over, or 1-2 game on). 

There was huge pressure on Armstrong to put that pen away though, especially after a long VAR delay...if he misses that, St.Mirren might well have seen it out for 2-1, but the momentum of the game totally changed from there.

10 minutes ago, Jedi2 said:

There was huge pressure on Armstrong to put that pen away though, especially after a long VAR delay...if he misses that, St.Mirren might well have seen it out for 2-1, but the momentum of the game totally changed from there.

No chance. There was still 25 mins left and our heads had completely gone at that point. Kilmarnock were cutting through us at will and would have carved plenty more out. The warning signs had been there in first 15 mins of the 2nd half.

Today was just one of those unexplainable things and regardless of Killie's improvement, there is no real reason for our performance, which was bery good in the first half to fall so dramatically off a cliff. We should still have had more than enough to go toe to toe with Kilmarnock and we simply didn't, especially with a bench of very decent quality.

Not only losing but being absolutely hammered from that position is something we need to not let get to us. We're still in the position that we *should* have Killie again before the season end and we need to rectify today if we do.

Edited by djchapsticks

1 hour ago, Squalor Vic said:

Was great seeing the numbers in that stand today tbf... well played 

Summed up perfectly by one of the boys on our kickback....

Screenshot_20240316_220001_Chrome.thumb.jpg.781a635049f01973f4180eb3c33cdc6e.jpg

3 hours ago, deadasdillinger said:

Narrator: They did not keep playing like this. 

One of my favourite and underrated things about today was St Mirren stealing our traditional first half end from us at the coin toss. Meant the St Mirren fans got a cracking view of the 5 goals and the "get it up ye" celebrations. Lovely. 

Plus, it gave us a great view of them sneaking out as the goals cascaded in! On further reflection, by the time the fourth went in, they were not sneaking out, they were piling out in biblical quantities. Marvellous!

9 hours ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

Great travelling numbers from the Pandas and well done for not being Old Firm supporters. Great bunch of lads.

It’s a reluctant, but albeit necessary GIRUY. 

I thought that was fabulous entertainment. When these ignorant fuds come out with their ‘never watched a good game on plastic shite’ remind them of this one. Could ramble on about how good Killie were second-half but would just like to praise the St Mirren support. Numerically and vocally the best I’ve seen at Rugby Park in years.. 

Walking out the stadium moments after Watson had scored Killies 5th a guy infront of me said to his pal ’I’ve had some shite days supporting St Mirren but that’s got to be the shitiest’, I said ‘We’re you not at Hampden to watch us get beat off 9 man Rangers?’, and he started laughing and said ‘Second shitiest day then’. Always good to have a sense of perspective. 

57 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Walking out the stadium moments after Watson had scored Killies 5th a guy infront of me said to his pal ’I’ve had some shite days supporting St Mirren but that’s got to be the shitiest’, I said ‘We’re you not at Hampden to watch us get beat off 9 man Rangers?’, and he started laughing and said ‘Second shitiest day then’. Always good to have a sense of perspective. 

That's an odd name for a St Mirren fan. Wee team? 

24 minutes ago, Fide said:

That's an odd name for a St Mirren fan. Wee team? 

Username is 16 years old, I frequented Parkhead as a child hence the name but started going to St Mirren games with a couple of work colleagues and enjoyed the experience much more, and have followed them home and away for over 10 years. If I could change the name I would. 

9 hours ago, mathematics said:

You love to see that level of anal retentiveness… when it goes for you.

It did make me chuckle that it got a cheer, yet after that every time the referee asked a Killie player to take a throw from the right place Killie fans went mental. 😂

12 hours ago, Squalor Vic said:

He was more or less there all game. Lot of chat about it around us at HT. I thought he was more man marking Kiltie in first half which was weird 

McInnes said in his post match interview that he was told to mark Kiltie.

1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:

Username is 16 years old, I frequented Parkhead as a child hence the name but started going to St Mirren games with a couple of work colleagues and enjoyed the experience much more, and have followed them home and away for over 10 years. If I could change the name I would. 

So yes then. Wee team. 👍

Saw the highlights - quite an impressive arse collapse there. Can't imagine the Killie fans saw that 2nd half coming.

Presume St. Mirren won the toss and opted to change ends - giving their fans a great view of all of the goals. 

Their defence also seemed to let Watson do a sort-of karaoke version of Maradona's 2nd goal against England in 1986. 

Right, so, I'm on a run of 4 nightshifts at the moment, I caught the first half of yesterday's game but dozed off at H/T and didn't wake up till after F/T.

What I'm proposing (me and the mighty Quo) is that we scrub yesterday's second half and replay it today when I promise to stay awake.

2 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Walking out the stadium moments after Watson had scored Killies 5th a guy infront of me said to his pal ’I’ve had some shite days supporting St Mirren but that’s got to be the shitiest’, I said ‘We’re you not at Hampden to watch us get beat off 9 man Rangers?’, and he started laughing

Guess you had to be there.

3 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

"Everyone started applauding"...