St Johnstone vs Dundee - The Tayside Derby - 30/03/24

Just now, Saint DBL said:

The ref was away to blow but allowed Dundee to play on, some common sense from an official, likely would have seen red. 

Would it though? Was it an actual shot on target that hit his hand? It looked from my angle that the guy was just trying to poke it past him but there was nobody else up there and he’d be going some to have scored with that shot from that position. It was the fact that it rebounded off Mitov’s arm that created the actual goal scoring opportunity. Definitely need to see it again.

He should never have needed to come out into that area though - no idea where the rest of our defence had meandered off to.

between about 30 and 60 minutes we were well on top and the goal had been coming for quite a while when it came.

Levein fucked it though. Several players were clearly knackered by 70 minutes and when the winner came we’d still only made one sub. That was a colossal error and the tired legs made a pretty big contribution to the winner.

Could easily have equalised again given we hit the post and the bar (albeit in a bizarrely non threatening way) but we should never have been in the position of needing to. Dundee made the changes to freshen it up, we didn’t and we paid the price.

1 minute ago, Jamie_B said:

Would it though? Was it an actual shot on target that hit his hand? It looked from my angle that the guy was just trying to poke it past him but there was nobody else up there and he’d be going some to have scored with that shot from that position. It was the fact that it rebounded off Mitov’s arm that created the actual goal scoring opportunity. Definitely need to see it again.

By the laws probably not, after a 25 minute VAR check, probably. 

Great result for us when a draw would probably have been a more fair reflection. Saints did a great job of snuffing out McCowan and on one of the few occasions he got in the clear he sets up the winner. Great player, great lad all round. 
Fantastic atmosphere in the away end and you could see at full time how much it meant to the fans, team and the Doc. 

It’s a weird one regarding a red card as the keeper being 40 yards out his goal is essentially a goal scoring opportunity in itself, as shown seconds later.  It would be incredibly harsh though with several defenders running in behind him I doubt he meant it. Blatant yellow though.

1 hour ago, Lalo said:

Made hard work of it but take the win every day. Wee shoutout to the Perth Ultras walking past everyone over the age of 16, laying in about 14 year olds and getting lifted. Good laugh 

When I entered the car park before the game I overheard a St Johnstone fan is his late 30s / early 40s slagging a young Dundee fan for wearing shorts.  He was laughing with his mates loudly proclaiming “bet he cant afford long trousers.”  This comment was made despite the fact the said St Johnstone fan was wearing a Lyle and Scott top.  Very strange behaviour.

4 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

When I entered the car park before the game I overheard a St Johnstone fan is his late 30s / early 40s slagging a young Dundee fan for wearing shorts.  He was laughing with his mates loudly proclaiming “bet he cant afford long trousers.”  This comment was made despite the fact the said St Johnstone fan was wearing a Lyle and Scott top.  Very strange behaviour.

They have an abnormal hatred for us mate, don’t mind them as a club but happy to beat them today to get it round them. 

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Dan Phillips is the only St Johnstone player that looks a class above. I know he has plans to go back down South/abroad but he's a player a Scottish club should be trying to tempt for next season. Class act in a competent team.

Didn’t look too hot for your winning goal, switched off and didn’t track his man. Not as good a player as he thinks he is. Accept he’d be a lot better in a proper football team though rather than whatever we are meant to be. 

53 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Several players were clearly knackered by 70 minutes and when the winner came we’d still only made one sub. That was a colossal error and the tired legs made a pretty big contribution to the winner.

I think the fitness of the squad overall has been an issue all season. And add to that Levein doesn’t seem to rate/trust some of the subs may lead to the reluctance to bring them on sooner. 

www.youtube.com/@DerekTaylor84

36 minutes ago, Derryboy62 said:

Excited Season 2 GIF by The Office

We can resume in the post split game between us.

28 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

McCann and McFadden saying that should be a goal at the end.

Fucking hell.

I haven't seen it back tbf, but looked in real time to me that it shouldn't have been a goal. On the one hand, I'd have loved it to be given, but by not giving into VAR, the ref possibly had his best decision in the game. He was piss poor otherwise.

Odd game. A win for either team or a draw and you could have argued it fair enough. Dundee have a good squad and maybe in comparison to previous years, have more quality and less reliance on a few individual players. I mean this as a compliment, Dundee remind me of St Mirren from a few years ago when you could see the build up of the squad pretty clearly. 

22 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

McCann and McFadden saying that should be a goal at the end.

Fucking hell.

Merely marks their respective cards for future reference, imho.

Amusingly incompetent clowns of the highest order, yet still surprisingly gainfully employed.

Thank you.

peaky-blinders-alfie-solomons.gif.d08bd6451a34154ebc8f4e28e0ce7e96.gif

The key part of the disallowed goal is that McGowan clearly pushes the Dundee player into the goalkeeper - forcing any perceived handling error that is highlighted before he then headers it out of the goalies hands. 

Regardless of opinions on the handling thereafter, the foul happens first - is blatant and the goal was correctly disallowed. 

The ref was excellent imo - let the game flow and didn’t mind physical challenges as long as they were fair - this seemed to upset St Johnstone fans and players - in particular their powderpuff striker who seems to think any physical contact is a foul. 

3 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Levein fucked it though. Several players were clearly knackered by 70 minutes and when the winner came we’d still only made one sub.

Keeping Gallacher on in midfield as long as we did when you’re looking for a player to create something and Carey is sitting on the bench was a particular favourite.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Very much done with this team and manager.

Mitovs mistake a poor one but Dundee randomly deciding to stop playing for the next 54 minutes gives us a chance. Instead we spend that entire time playing the exact same way and having absolutely no quality in creating chances. Fluke a goal from a total stramash, then spend the momentum gained there watching increasingly tired players stumble their away around the park. Then, as always, this leads to a lack of pressing and a conceded goal.

1-1 in a massive game with 30 minuted left, and you're playing an absolutely fucked Tony Gallagher, who's bravery on the ball peaks at passing down the line, on the left wing with Graham Carey sat on the bench.

Suddenly it's all guns blazing when it's too late.

A shitebag squad, managed by a shitebag manager, again. I'm now hoping for relegation to escape this misery in the belief that, even if it takes 5 years, we'll eventually see a St Johnstone side that's enjoyable to watch again.

Hard to say anything about Dundee considering they won that without putting much effort in at all.

Thank you for serving up such a delicious Saturday night concoction. Somehow I thought the beers were enough and yet here we are with this full body minter/meltdown. A glorious yet tedious triumph for the famous dark blues. 

Down with United.

Thank you 

5 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

No shit.

Interested to hear what you think he got  wrong.

I mean I get you lost and are thrashing round looking for someone to blame - but the ref should be way down that list after Levein, every player in your squad and your father who presumably set you up to support that rabble.