Next Step(s)  

151 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

I have also seen it argued the Rugby can be more of a stop/start game than football

That was true many years ago, nowadays the default is to waste time at throw ins, goal kicks and to go down 'injured' all the time.

Something that could also be fixed by borrowing from rugby - let physios straight on the pitch, don't stop the game. Also, if a game has a fourth official, don't stop for subs either. Everyone is miked up, put the boards up so we can see.

3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Interesting. You've just rewritten the Laws of Physics in one fell swoop.

I would argue it is mathematically impossible for two objects in continuous space to be absolutely in line with each other. They might be in the same place to the nearest centimetre, or to the nearest millimetre, or even to the nearest 100th of a millimetre, but if you continue to increase the precision you will always be able to separate them.

https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/3328594/why-is-the-px-x-0-when-x-is-continuous

40 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I would argue it is mathematically impossible for two objects in continuous space to be absolutely in line with each other. They might be in the same place to the nearest centimetre, or to the nearest millimetre, or even to the nearest 100th of a millimetre, but if you continue to increase the precision you will always be able to separate them.

https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/3328594/why-is-the-px-x-0-when-x-is-continuous

as the answer in that link states continuous probability doesn’t perfectly model any real world situation.  

If you start by simply assuming that the probability of something is zero then it’s hardly surprising that you can show it’s impossible 

which means we’ve still not solved the question of whether two players can be absolutely level

I think we’re  dangerously close to needing someone that understands Quantum Mechanics properly and that’s not me

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

You would argue black is white sometimes.

I see Barca are contemplating going down the legal route as they didn't get a decision. Can't wait for Scottish clubs to start doing that. 

If, once this documentation has been analysed, the club understands that an error was made in the revision of the incident, we will take all available measures to reverse the situation, without discounting, obviously, any necessary legal action

Laporta

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c2vwq901e93o

7 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

If they can't be in line then why do we get dead heats in other sporting events??

Because of the degree to which it can be measured.

Same as how two people might be 5'10, and we call them the same height. But if we were to be able to measure further, we'd find one is a tiny bit taller than the other.

7 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

If they can't be in line then why do we get dead heats in other sporting events??

Because they only measure to the nearest hundredth or thousandth of a second and don't have the precision to measure smaller times/distances.

18 hours ago, craigkillie said:

There is no such thing as level, there will always be one player slightly further forward than the other. The offside law is the exact same whether there is VAR or not, the only difference is the level of precision to which a decision can be analysed.

11 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Same as how two people might be 5'10, and we call them the same height. But if we were to be able to measure further, we'd find one is a tiny bit taller than the other.

This is basically a restatement of @craigkillie's theory from earlier which we've already shown to be problematic

But given that people have been struggling with similar paradoxes since Zeno in the 5th century BC we shouldn't be surprised that P&B's finest brains have yet to crack it

There are no photos of Zeno so here's one of Xena instead
Remember tough as nails Xena from 'Xena: Warrior Princess ...

7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

There will come a day when football uses AI to genuinely measure all this stuff, won’t there? 

That would be better than the current situation since surely it would become instant as the technology improves.

9 minutes ago, KingswellsRed said:

That would be better than the current situation since surely it would become instant as the technology improves.

Probably. Don’t really want offside to be measured in such a way but if it is faster and more reliable than the current clown car version then I guess it’s preferable. 

49 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Because of the degree to which it can be measured.

So no two people can ever be exactly in line with each other, nor be exactly the same height. You learn something new every day. 

31 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

There will come a day when football uses AI to genuinely measure all this stuff, won’t there? 

The semi-automated offside being used in UEFA competitions and due to be introduced in England next season is basically this - as far as I'm aware it requires a model to predict the position of players in between frames of the camera.