Next Step(s)  

142 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Genuinely interested to see what tweaks they come up with considering the technology available is unlikely to change. Instead of doing the sensible thing and binning it, they are surely likely to claim they have improved VAR before next season starts.

6 minutes ago, KingswellsRed said:

Genuinely interested to see what tweaks they come up with considering the technology available is unlikely to change. Instead of doing the sensible thing and binning it, they are surely likely to claim they have improved VAR before next season starts.

Claims of "more sensible usage", that sees them ignore a lot of things, get criticised heavily for a few weeks for "missing things" and then revert back to what we have just now.

In the same week the SFA admit to guessing an offside call without lines, England announces it will be introducing the semi-automated technology. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68791135 

Obviously we shouldn’t constantly compare ourselves to England. But it does illustrate the “bargain basement” point quite well. 

On 11/04/2024 at 13:40, Pens_Dark said:

If there's ever a time to do it, it's off the back of a statement like that from Aberdeen. I will be writing to my club today to reinforce that point. Who knows, maybe we could sort our pitch out with the money we save....

Good work. I hope you get a response.

On 11/04/2024 at 21:58, The Master said:

In the same week the SFA admit to guessing an offside call without lines, England announces it will be introducing the semi-automated technology. 

Obviously we shouldn’t constantly compare ourselves to England. But it does illustrate the “bargain basement” point quite well. 

Does it? England will the only country using this incredibly expensive technology in their domestic league for now. Would that make every other country in Europe "bargain basement"?

21 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

England will the only country using this incredibly expensive technology in their domestic league for now.

No they won’t. 

On 11/04/2024 at 21:58, The Master said:

Very odd article, claiming that nothing can be 100% when clearly it could be.

A computer could easily tell when players are offside especially if you fitted the ball with a gyroscope to tell when it's kicked and then use the match day cameras to determine offside almost immediately if you had the right computing power.

VAR seems such an old fashioned way to come up with "new" technology. Would hope someone somewhere is really looking at new technology to actually make things work better and more efficient.

No piece of technology is ever going to be 100% perfect, there are always going to be false positives and true negatives. The cameras are not continuous, so even if you up the frame rate you are never going to be absolutely certain on anything.

18 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

No piece of technology is ever going to be 100% perfect, there are always going to be false positives and true negatives. The cameras are not continuous, so even if you up the frame rate you are never going to be absolutely certain on anything.

Which is one of the reasons why spending 3/4 mins to judge that a player is off by a couple of centimetres, is a nonsense.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Sorry, I see Italy and Mexico already use it, and Spain will be joining them this summer, leaving just the 50+ leagues including the Bundesliga as being "bargain basement".

I never said that manual offside was “bargain basement”. 

My point was that other leagues are now adopting the semi-automated offside technology, in the same week we had our VAR officials needing to eyeball a decision because we only had one suitable camera angle, but its calibration failed. 

That wouldn’t have happened if we had a better VAR setup with more cameras. 

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Does it? England will the only country using this incredibly expensive technology in their domestic league for now. Would that make every other country in Europe "bargain basement"?

Yes.

4 hours ago, 101 said:

Very odd article, claiming that nothing can be 100% when clearly it could be.

A computer could easily tell when players are offside especially if you fitted the ball with a gyroscope to tell when it's kicked and then use the match day cameras to determine offside almost immediately if you had the right computing power.

VAR seems such an old fashioned way to come up with "new" technology. Would hope someone somewhere is really looking at new technology to actually make things work better and more efficient.

It's a sign of the times that the highlighted bit could be both a Black Mirror-esque satire and also something that the EPL excitedly announce next season. 

Just now, KingswellsRed said:

Heard there was a Motherwell fan speaking sense on the radio today?

Said no match going fan liked it and he wasn't getting a season ticket due to it.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Said no match going fan liked it and he wasn't getting a season ticket due to it.

It simply doesn’t make business sense for clubs to continue backing it. Making the experience far worse for your customers.

I didnt buy my season ticket this year purely because of VAR. Mainly due to that considine handball at Rugby Park last season.

Still went every week but I want the option to bin it.

Nice anti VAR banner on display from the fcu at Perth today.