Next Step(s)  

157 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, houston_bud said:

But in reality, no one will ever be 'level' there will always be a tiny bit of one player's body ahead of the others.

The concept of being level, as has always been understood, no longer applies with the use of technology. 

I agree, but this only applies to VAR football, in non-VAR football there is still going to be a concept of level.

On 21/07/2024 at 20:57, DA Baracus said:

Norwegian fans are chucking fish cakes at games to protest VAR.

Norwegians leading the way, get the fish cakes ready for the league opener, or Scottish top flight fans could lob haggis puddings onto the pitch..🤣

A match in Norway’s top flight was suspended on Sunday amid a flurry of fishcakes thrown in protest at using VAR.

Rosenborg’s match against Lillestrom was abandoned just 30 minutes in as both sets of supporters joined forces to vent their fury. In addition to fish cakes, tennis balls were also thrown on to the pitch and fans chanted “F------ hate VAR”.

The match was first interrupted after six minutes when Rosenborg fans threw tennis balls on to the pitch. Further stoppages resulted in the match referee ordering players to leave the field. A banner was unfurled which read “We will never give up — VAR will go away.”

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

On 21/07/2024 at 20:57, DA Baracus said:

Norwegian fans are chucking fish cakes at games to protest VAR.

They’d get five years in jail for that in parts of the UK.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/03/2024 at 20:13, 2426255 said:

VAR is micro analysing the rules and taking so long over decisions because the officials are trying to cover their backs by working to rule. 

If you want to make VAR less intrusive, then get off referees backs and maybe they'll have the freedom to show common sense, let games flow better and let you enjoy the emotional highs and lows.

I see Willie Collum was discussing VAR. One of the points he raised is one that I raised last season.

People have to understand that we don't want to make a big mistake by missing something in the build-up to a goal. We need to keep our focus on accuracy. If we speed things up and make an error, we will be heavily criticised for it.

Willie Collum

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/crglwg7822ro

Had a nice throw back in the Conference League against Valur tonight.

Our (vital) second goal was a good yard offside, and I think most Saints fans in the West Stand knew it. However, the linesman made a howler and gave it. 
if we were playing in the league there’d barely have been a celebration as we’d all be waiting for the inevitable intervention from big brother. There was that brief pause before we realised that actually, this mistake wasn’t going to be corrected, and the celebrations went into full swing.

Ah the good old days, when clearly illegal goals were allowed to stand.

Take me back!

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Our (vital) second goal was a good yard offside, and I think most Saints fans in the West Stand knew it. However, the linesman made a howler and gave it. 
if we were playing in the league there’d barely have been a celebration as we’d all be waiting for the inevitable intervention from big brother. There was that brief pause before we realised that actually, this mistake wasn’t going to be corrected, and the celebrations went into full swing.

Take me back!

Throwback to the glory days of having a quick look to see if the linesman has his flag up before throwing yourself into a celebration. VAR really has robbed the fans of that genuine, immediate and unbridled joy that goes along with a goal, especially in games of significance. 

At one of the goals earlier tonight the referee motioned with his arm back to the centre circle to signal the goal had been given almost as soon as the ball hit the back of the net, and it took my VAR-trained brain a few milliseconds to comprehend that once he had done that there was no danger of it being disallowed. If that was in the league you could watch the referee make the same signal and at the back of your mind know that in 60 seconds time he is going to be standing with his hand to his ear for a ridiculously extended period of time, and wether the goal is given or not the emotions of that moment have been dampened. Mental that VAR has been almost forced upon us from the powers above, and when you get to attend a game like that earlier that doesn’t have VAR the spectacle is far, far more enjoyable as a result of it’s absence. 

15 hours ago, Lex said:

It's alright when they go for you. That's never the problem though, is it? If Valur had an offside goal given then you'd be raging and be looking for something or someone to blame.

47 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

It's alright when they go for you. That's never the problem though, is it? If Valur had an offside goal given then you'd be raging and be looking for something or someone to blame.

Indeed, if that had went against us we'd be screaming conspiracy this morning, it was a horrendous error by the linesman. Went for us though, and it was interesting seeing the celebrations develop. There was an initial half hearted cheer when the ball went in as most knew it was offside, the surprise to see the linesmen giving it, the build up in the celebrations, people turning to each other to confirm there is no VAR and then the actual celebrations. 

This is what the pre VAR world was like. Goals being given when almost everyone in the stadium - apart from the officials - knew they shouldn't be given. That's the world the people who want to chase VAR out of Scotland wish to return to.

It will never happen. 

2 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Are they not using VAR in the conference league? 

Not in the first and second qualifying rounds.

I think it will be in use against Brann.

Clubs in Norway will be voting in March whether to retain or scrap VAR following the recent protests:

Norway set to vote on future of VAR after new pastry protest - ESPN

This is what fans - particularly those in smaller countries - can achieve when they demand to have their voices heard. VAR is only here to stay in our domestic game if we allow it to.

3 hours ago, Meathead said:

Clubs in Norway will be voting in March whether to retain or scrap VAR following the recent protests:

Norway set to vote on future of VAR after new pastry protest - ESPN

This is what fans - particularly those in smaller countries - can achieve when they demand to have their voices heard. VAR is only here to stay in our domestic game if we allow it to.

Thanks, that's interesting. I'll keep an eye out for how the vote goes in 2025 and also the report produced in November of this year.

A working group made up of clubs, supporters, players, coaches and referees will be set up to evaluate the video referee system and deliver a report in November, ahead of "a thorough and inclusive assessment of the advantages and disadvantages of VAR" being discussed at the Football Parliament on March 1 and 2 next year. A vote will then be held among the clubs to decide if VAR will continue in Norway.

Good luck to them and those in Scotland who wish to push things in that direction.

On 01/08/2024 at 23:52, Lex said:

Take me back!

You never know, your wish might come true. 

Spoiler

St Mirren might be relegated this season.

• 1 month later...