Dumbarton v Bonnyrigg Rose 23/3/24

Stranraer letting us down today. I think a 10+ point cushion would’ve been the playoffs secured. Spartans and Peterhead dropping points helps, though. Can probably consider Elgin and Forfar out of it. With East Fife having Spartans at home on the last day, I think they’ll now be firmly in Campbell’s sight. As much as I dislike the guy, 15 points and undefeated from 7 games since coming in is very impressive.

Can only do our own job, though, and that’s a really solid, important win. A big, big 6 points from the last two, considering East Fife’s form and the fact their next three games all look very winnable.

Edited by FifeSons

A very routine 3 points that. I’m just a bit disappointed we didn’t improve on the goal difference against a very poor Bonnyrigg side who look to be in serious trouble. 

I thought the referee was terrible and his reluctance to give Ruth any decisions was completely baffling. There was one at the stand side during the latter stages of the 2nd half where Ruth was ragdolled to the ground and he just waved him up. It was one of the clearest fouls you’ll ever see. It’s not even like Ruth is a notorious diver or one of those ‘dark arts’ type of players that would have led to his reputation going against him. 

Despite the refs hatred for Michael Ruth, I thought he was superb today. He is without a doubt the best striker I have seen in a Dumbarton shirt for years. He might not bang in 20 a season but he’s far too good for this level.

32 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I'd be staggered if Bonnyrigg avoid the drop. What a rabble.

This. An absolutely nothing side, at half time you knew the game was over bar any gift from the Sons. Mikey Ruth and Finlay Gray both showed why they shouldn't be playing at this level though, a pitch fit for the WoS but the pair of them never stopped providing quality despite the conditions and elements. I've been unsure of Ruth jumping right back to full time football but I thought he was tremendous today. Everything stuck to him, he terrorised the defence and almost everything good went through him. Gray was his typical bullish self and the determination to create the clinching goal was excellent. Both guys will move on in the summer and I just hope the pair of them provide us with a good send off. I'll be sad when they both go and all I hope is we're in League 1 when we try to replace them. 

I'll gladly join the chorus for Mikey Ruth but today Mark Durnan was a colossus at the back, and his influence on Gallagher Lennon is evident.  Apart from his defensive duties at one point he produced perhaps the longest header I've ever seen, and against a gale at that.

Between the park and the weather it was never going to be pretty, and tbh the result was never much in doubt either, which should be a serious worry for Bonnyrigg.  They look devoid of both confidence and a cutting edge and that's a grim combo at this stage in the season.

We need to keep going and build some momentum from here on in.  We're doing OK right now and Aaron Lynas, Cian Newbury, young Lennon and Tony all gave us a shift today.  Having a fit Kalvin Orsi back would be a bonus.

Yeah, I definitely reckon it's between Stranraer and Bonnyrigg to go down. Both are absolutely rotten. That was never in any doubt at all today. I'm echo what others have said about Ruth and Gray, both put in great performances. Durnan was brilliant at the back and how much more settled does our defence look with him back in it? I also think T Wallace is a brilliant player to have at this level. His use of the ball is almost always productive for the team. Rarely gives the ball away and always finds a team mate.

A nice thought that we have the likes of Carlo, Kalvin to come back to fitness. That being said, Lynas also put in a shift today.

All that being said, I feel like 7/9 of the teams in our league would have given us a bigger test today. Onto next week to build further in our preparations for the play-offs (which I reckon we are hopefully only a week or two from). Nothing to fear next week and hopefully get something from Stenny, who have beaten us in the last 2 games without actually having to turn up. 

I thought that was a really solid, professional and actually quite enjoyable performance. On a park that was completely impossible to play on, and in wind that made it hellish to watch.

The conditions were a bit of a leveller. And, on a proper park with limited wind, I think we'd have scudded Bonnyrigg 4/5-0.

For the second week in a row we were superior all over the park. Every key battle was won by a Sons player, and 2-0 was the very least we deserved.

I can't really add a lot to what's already been said (but I will...). Durnan, Gray and Ruth all stood out massively. And I'm glad we know at least one of them will be here next season! 

My hot take for tonight is one that, imo, shouldn't be considered all that hot. If Mark Durnan had played every game for us this season then we wouldn't be anywhere near as far adrift of Stenny as we are. They'd still be Champions, and deservedly so, but it would've been a real title race.

He was colossal today. Absolutely thumping everything in the air, winning every challenge on the deck and really leading like a skipper should.

It's not just that either, he really brings on those around him. Gallagher Lennon had a good game as did Aron Lynas. Despite being kicked in the head and needing bandaged up to stop the bleeding after what referee Jordan Curran deemed 'a fair challenge'.

Finlay Gray has such a high ceiling. If he can tidy up his final ball and produce what he did today (and for Graham's goal last week) then he'll be playing full-time football for the bulk of his career. He's a rough diamond in that regard, but I hope wherever he goes he gets the right coaching to make the most of what he has. Because he's a super talent (and a lovely wee guy to boot).

I thought he dominated the midfield. Albeit Lee Currie, Callum Connolly and Jonny Stewart is about as stodgy as it gets. Currie is a decent player technically, although miles off it physically, the other two are hardworking but limited Lowland League players. And that really was shown up.

Michael Ruth was superb. If he'd managed to get a goal that would've been a 10/10 performance. It was totally selfless, he occupied three centre-halves all game. And he did all whilst being booted up and down the place with a referee who was quite happy to let it happen. I've said it before, he's the best striker we've had in years. Not prolific, but just superb at some many aspects of being a forward. He's my Player of the Year by a mile.

Bonnyrigg meanwhile are in big trouble. They are as limited a team as I've seen at this level for a long time. Almost a throwback to struggling sides from the last time we were in the fourth tier.

There's no shortage of effort. But there's absolutely no spark. They didn't ever look like scoring. In fact they didn't ever look like threatening. Just a collection of guys with 'effort' 'work rate' and 'determination' but nothing else.

I suppose Smart Osadolar summed that up. He did put himself about. He did work hard. But I think I counted that he was offside seven times. We knew to push up, and he couldn't adapt his game to that.

Paddy Martin is a solid goalkeeper and performed well again. But aside from him I'm struggling to think of one Rose player who turned in a decent showing. They look like a side with just one win since the turn of the year since the league and, given what Stranraer did to us a few weeks ago, right now I would put money on them finishing 10th. 

I'd be in the home end at NDP if they played East Kilbride mind you. A real clash of the styles that one!

3 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I thought that was a really solid, professional and actually quite enjoyable performance. On a park that was completely impossible to play on, and in wind that made it hellish to watch.

The conditions were a bit of a leveller. And, on a proper park with limited wind, I think we'd have scudded Bonnyrigg 4/5-0.

For the second week in a row we were superior all over the park. Every key battle was won by a Sons player, and 2-0 was the very least we deserved.

I can't really add a lot to what's already been said (but I will...). Durnan, Gray and Ruth all stood out massively. And I'm glad we know at least one of them will be here next season! 

My hot take for tonight is one that, imo, shouldn't be considered all that hot. If Mark Durnan had played every game for us this season then we wouldn't be anywhere near as far adrift of Stenny as we are. They'd still be Champions, and deservedly so, but it would've been a real title race.

He was colossal today. Absolutely thumping everything in the air, winning every challenge on the deck and really leading like a skipper should.

It's not just that either, he really brings on those around him. Gallagher Lennon had a good game as did Aron Lynas. Despite being kicked in the head and needing bandaged up to stop the bleeding after what referee Jordan Curran deemed 'a fair challenge'.

Finlay Gray has such a high ceiling. If he can tidy up his final ball and produce what he did today (and for Graham's goal last week) then he'll be playing full-time football for the bulk of his career. He's a rough diamond in that regard, but I hope wherever he goes he gets the right coaching to make the most of what he has. Because he's a super talent (and a lovely wee guy to boot).

I thought he dominated the midfield. Albeit Lee Currie, Callum Connolly and Jonny Stewart is about as stodgy as it gets. Currie is a decent player technically, although miles off it physically, the other two are hardworking but limited Lowland League players. And that really was shown up.

Michael Ruth was superb. If he'd managed to get a goal that would've been a 10/10 performance. It was totally selfless, he occupied three centre-halves all game. And he did all whilst being booted up and down the place with a referee who was quite happy to let it happen. I've said it before, he's the best striker we've had in years. Not prolific, but just superb at some many aspects of being a forward. He's my Player of the Year by a mile.

Bonnyrigg meanwhile are in big trouble. They are as limited a team as I've seen at this level for a long time. Almost a throwback to struggling sides from the last time we were in the fourth tier.

There's no shortage of effort. But there's absolutely no spark. They didn't ever look like scoring. In fact they didn't ever look like threatening. Just a collection of guys with 'effort' 'work rate' and 'determination' but nothing else.

I suppose Smart Osadolar summed that up. He did put himself about. He did work hard. But I think I counted that he was offside seven times. We knew to push up, and he couldn't adapt his game to that.

Paddy Martin is a solid goalkeeper and performed well again. But aside from him I'm struggling to think of one Rose player who turned in a decent showing. They look like a side with just one win since the turn of the year since the league and, given what Stranraer did to us a few weeks ago, right now I would put money on them finishing 10th. 

I'd be in the home end at NDP if they played East Kilbride mind you. A real clash of the styles that one!

We are going down, utterly abysmal to watch. The team is bereft of ideas and confidence, not once did we look like scoring today.

Edited by To B or not B

First half was a fairly eye-bleeding watch in admittedly difficult conditions.  Would not have said that Finlay Gray and Mikey Ruth were rubbish, but they weren't very good either!  Second half was much better and it was a comfortable win in the end.

Have to fear for Bonnyrigg now.  Never laid a glove on us the whole game.  As others have said, no lack of effort but a serious lack of quality for this level. 

Mark Durnan MOTM for me.  Had he and Brett Long avoided injury I'm sure it would have been a much closer title race this season, but them's the breaks.

Was great to have a chat before the match with a Sons stalwart of the mid sixties, Jimmy Veitch.  Into his eighties and still looking in great shape.  Follows the Rose nowadays, but remembers his time at Boghead with great affection.  

Kudos to the Bonnyrigg fan in the bowling club taking off his jumper to reveal his Hibs top to get his picture taken with ex Hearts player Derek Ferguson this afternoon.

I'm actually feeling sorry for your groundsman now. Just a couple of weeks ago he had to deal with a game on the Saturday then another on the Sunday which is madness on that surface. Then this week Kazakhstan U21s train on it 4 days before an important league game. Now I'm hearing Broomhill are back on it tomorrow. Full time groundsman would struggle to deal with this nonsense. I just don't get it 🤷🏻