Aberdeen v Ross County (Sat, 30th March)

2 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Technically still possible to finish top 6 unless I've miscalculated horribly. Not in our hands, as would rely on a number of results going in our favour.

Yes, mathematically it is still possible. In reality, no. 

Does feel better having a bit of a gap over two teams and sucking Motherwell in. 

I did think we were shit for the most part today though so can’t rest on any laurels yet. 

That is a good result, but wasn't a good performance. We did start strongly and finish well enough, though, so willing to just about overlook the pretty dire hour or so in the middle.

Ross County, by and large, looked superior in possession, created better angles, and looked more convincing when progressing the ball than we did.

Still, with the state we are in, the result is really the only thing that matters.

There wasn't a huge amount of quality in our performance, but plenty of determination from the likes of Devlin, Shinnie and Mackenzie to get us over the line. Clarkson and McGrath became more influential when Polvara came on. Duk made a big difference, and just changed the dynamics of the game by giving us that direct option over and behind. 

On a more negative note, I'm pleased we didn't dive into giving Gartenmann a permanent deal. He has had the odd good game, and started the season promisingly, but I have seen more than enough now to suggest we should be trying our luck elsewhere. Just bullied by Murray far too often today, and you can't be risking that when most teams in this division will play with that profile of forward. You could say the same for Jensen, although he is tied to a permanent and I can't see a big queue to take him off our hands. We probably need three new centre-backs in the summer. 

Hopefully we can get at least four points from the next six available. I didn't see enough today to suggest that we will necessarily do that, and it still wouldn't surprise me too much if we end up getting like one point from the next two games or something, but we have found a way to win two games that could - and maybe should - very easily have been draws, so that in itself is an achievement for this team. 

17 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

If we can play that poorly but still win in all the remaing games, that will be fine thanks.

Oh no, you'll lose them all. Unless it's us or Livi.

3 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

That is a good result, but wasn't a good performance. We did start strongly and finish well enough, though, so willing to just about overlook the pretty dire hour or so in the middle.

Ross County, by and large, looked superior in possession, created better angles, and looked more convincing when progressing the ball than we did.

Still, with the state we are in, the result is really the only thing that matters.

There wasn't a huge amount of quality in our performance, but plenty of determination from the likes of Devlin, Shinnie and Mackenzie to get us over the line. Clarkson and McGrath became more influential when Polvara came on. Duk made a big difference, and just changed the dynamics of the game by giving us that direct option over and behind. 

On a more negative note, I'm pleased we didn't dive into giving Gartenmann a permanent deal. He has had the odd good game, and started the season promisingly, but I have seen more than enough now to suggest we should be trying our luck elsewhere. Just bullied by Murray far too often today, and you can't be risking that when most teams in this division will play with that profile of forward. You could say the same for Jensen, although he is tied to a permanent and I can't see a big queue to take him off our hands. We probably need three new centre-backs in the summer. 

Hopefully we can get at least four points from the next six available. I didn't see enough today to suggest that we will necessarily do that, and it still wouldn't surprise me too much if we end up getting like one point from the next two games or something, but we have found a way to win two games that could - and maybe should - very easily have been draws, so that in itself is an achievement for this team. 

Couldn't agree more. Takes 4 touches before he decides what to do. By that time any passing angle is gone.

Not that I think for a moment my opinion matters in regard to this match, but it’s a good result. Brings the Ferranti Thistle / Ross County relegation doubler a step closer. So, well done Dandies. See youse’ again next season.

Gartenman just isn’t very good. Plenty if endeavour but unfortunately his lack of size/physical presence means that he needs to compensate by being an intelligent defender and/or good on the ball, of which he is neither really. 

2 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Couldn't agree more. Takes 4 touches before he decides what to do. By that time any passing angle is gone.

A lot of our fans don't like us trying to 'play out' from the back, but if you are going to avoid going long regularly, which Leven and the players made a big thing about after Fir Park, then it definitely helps to have at least one centre-back on the pitch who can progress the ball. Really, none of our current four can do it - they wait too long, don't recognise the angles quickly enough, and probably just lack a bit of courage too. 

The only time this season where we have looked even remotely capable in that regard is when Mackenzie was in a back three.

On 29/03/2024 at 18:36, kingjoey said:

A bit like betting against your own team. If it comes off you look like a right clever b*st*rd, but if Aberdeen win you won’t care, because, well, Aberdeen won.

In fairness, the only thing I was absolutely certain about was that the winning goal would be scored in the 78th minute. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Gartenman just isn’t very good. Plenty if endeavour but unfortunately his lack of size/physical presence means that he needs to compensate by being an intelligent defender and/or good on the ball, of which he is neither really. 

His best games were as a part of the back-3 as a more mobile defender alongside Ruby. Just doesn't seem to fit a back 4 as neither imposingly strong or helpful with the ball at his feet.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Does feel better having a bit of a gap over two teams and sucking Motherwell in. 

I did think we were shit for the most part today though so can’t rest on any laurels yet. 

Absolutely no resting on anything. After the split, we should have Livi at home, St Johnstone in Perth, Ross County in Dingwall, Motherwell at home and either Hibs away or Dundee away. Ross County, St Johnstone and Motherwell will all be scrapping for points, so we could be as well.

Over the 90 mins I reckon we probably deserved the 3 points today, especially once Duk and Polvara came on. We could’ve had a couple more with the chances we created. I would’ve loved that Polvara thunderb*****d to go in.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Absolutely no resting on anything. After the split, we should have Livi at home, St Johnstone in Perth, Ross County in Dingwall, Motherwell at home and either Hibs away or Dundee away. Ross County, St Johnstone and Motherwell will all be scrapping for points, so we could be as well.

We are due 3 home fixtures post split. Maybe the Hibs/Dundee fixture will be reversed.

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I didn't think reality was a consideration on the internet. 🫣

9 hours ago, kingjoey said:

St Johnstone will all be scrapping for points, so we could be as well.

We'll be scrapping for a point, not three. We're back to being managed by Callum Davidson and that was his approach to avoiding the play off last time.

We've ditched the shape we played against you to go back to a shape that's fucked us all season. It's great stuff.