Morton Vs Pars - 23/03/2024

6 minutes ago, Frazd103 said:

Well dug out victory, hard place to go and win the three points, so to do so as we get players back is very pleasing. MacLean as a ref is a fanny, all about him time and time again, fell over himself to give that penalty too, which even Morton fans saying was dodge. That 0-5 at east end truly was our lowest ebb, back we come though. Amazing what can happen when we have a full squad to pick from eh?

Mental how they pumped us 0-5 yet we've won the other three matches!

Well worked but hilariously shit defending. Just letting Miles run through the box right to the back post for a good header.

14 minutes ago, 101 said:

Well worked but hilariously shit defending. Just letting Miles run through the box right to the back post for a good header.

Keeper has to be saving that. Thought the same at the time and seeing it back, he just has to adjust his feet and it's a comfortable save.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Should have been a red card for Morton (from my viewpoint, but the highlights could show otherwise(

Assuming it’s Crawford’s tackle - I don’t think so. He was late but with laces rather than studs, looked a yellow. Power’s yellow after was clearly deserved, as was Welch-Hayes. Then Hamilton got away with hacking down Muirhead, Mcgrattan also literally rugby tackled Kane (?) to stop an attack. Dunfermline players got free rein to volley the ball into the stands after the whistle. No yellows for any of it. Plus Fagan Walcott ripping the shirt off Oakley all game.

Another poor display of officiating all round. He’s supposedly one of our best as well. 

1 minute ago, Chicken Soup said:

Dunfermline players got free rein to volley the ball into the stands after the whistle. No yellows for any of it. Plus Fagan Walcott ripping the shirt off Oakley all game.

First one is a tactic that’s been used for decades and it’s rarely a booking unless it’s well after the whistle. As for Oakley… it’s incredible you saw that, but didn’t notice Fagan-Walcott’s shirt being pulled halfway up his back all game. They were both at it and the referee let it go because of that. What’s he meant to do, give both teams a free kick, since both players are doing the exact same thing to each other?

Actually thought the ref was generally fine. Let the play flow and wasn’t stopping for every little bit of contact. Let players continue with petty nonsense if both teams were at it. Overall just made sure he didn’t get involved more than he had to. Penalty looked soft from the far end, but hard to tell. Just glad Mehmet saved it. Thought Mehmet was maybe fouled, but he then also didn’t give a foul on Mullen when he fell/jumped into Holmes a few minutes later, maybe that was a similar challenge/incident?

Good win for us today. Wasn’t pretty, but we did what we had to do. Hamilton and Otoo in midfield were excellent again, how we’ve missed them in there when they’ve been playing at the back.

29 minutes ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

Keeper has to be saving that. Thought the same at the time and seeing it back, he just has to adjust his feet and it's a comfortable save.

Aye, the standard of keeper in this division has fallen off a cliff in the last decade or so and that was a poor effort.  The header didn't have a lot of power on it but he's not followed its path and stays in the same position before making a 'o shit that's going in' flap at it as it went past him.

21 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

First one is a tactic that’s been used for decades and it’s rarely a booking unless it’s well after the whistle. As for Oakley… it’s incredible you saw that, but didn’t notice Fagan-Walcott’s shirt being pulled halfway up his back all game. They were both at it and the referee let it go because of that. What’s he meant to do, give both teams a free kick, since both players are doing the exact same thing to each other?

Actually thought the ref was generally fine. Let the play flow and wasn’t stopping for every little bit of contact. Let players continue with petty nonsense if both teams were at it. Overall just made sure he didn’t get involved more than he had to. Penalty looked soft from the far end, but hard to tell. Just glad Mehmet saved it. Thought Mehmet was maybe fouled, but he then also didn’t give a foul on Mullen when he fell/jumped into Holmes a few minutes later, maybe that was a similar challenge/incident?

Good win for us today. Wasn’t pretty, but we did what we had to do. Hamilton and Otoo in midfield were excellent again, how we’ve missed them in there when they’ve been playing at the back.

Don’t think it was a foul on either keeper, Mullen made a mess of his and Mehmet had too many bodies in his way. In fairness I’ve also highlighted that McGrattan avoided a clear booking. The funniest thing about our pen was he didn’t give a clear foul on Quitongo right in front of him a few minutes before then gave us a pen for much less of a foul. 

Agree to disagree on the Oakley stuff. He was the stronger player and being hauled all over the place in front of the ref and linesman all game (until he faded). Kicking the ball away is common but some of it today was wild, I actually laughed at the one near the end where Welch Hayes smashed one in to the Wee Dublin End to no consequence. 

I’m always greeting about refs but usually they’re nobodies promoted above their station. Frightening that today’s was from the top tier, and that people watched that game thinking he was fine. 

Not all wins are going to be as a result of braw fitba. You have to be able to win ugly as they say. We done just that and glad we could put out a physical team. Icing on the cake was Muirhead missing the pen. An absolute charlatan whilst at the pars 

Ryan Mullen has been excellent for us this year and we missed him badly when he was injured and I'm very pleased he is signed for next season.

Looking at the video of the game from yesterday I struggle to understand why he didn't save the Dunfermline goal. It looks like a routine catch which he just completely misjudged.

Posted (edited)

Really happy with the win! Prior to the Dundee Utd game I looked at our remaining games and thought yesterday would be the hardest for some reason. I knew Morton were on a bit of a losing streak but fancied them to try and put that right, as I'd watched them comfortably beat ourselves, Motherwell and run the JT's tight in the Scottish Cup.

I managed to get a stream on the firestick. The ParsTV camera was shit, genuinely felt like they'd put a manager camera on one of the players.

I'm hoping now we can go on a wee run and build some momentum. Top four is completely doable however I don't see us causing much concern in the playoffs if we got there. Tough away game with Airdrie to come in a few weeks, it would be them who I'd fancy for 4th as it stands but who knows.

Great save from Mehmet but from the steam it looks like an error on his part where he should have caught the ball before the incident happened. Would need to see it back but that was the general feeling in the group chat.

Edited by The Toun Clock

By the way, what’s the deal with Morton’s throw ins? It felt like half of the first half was spent waiting for them to take throw ins. Don’t get me wrong, the throw ins seemed to cause us problems (until Strapp got subbed),  but the referee seemed to let them take 2 mins per throw in and didn’t seem to try and hurry them up at all.

It did make it funnier when their fans then started complaining about time wasting though, given they’d been at it from the first whistle until we took the lead.

22 minutes ago, Mr Toon said:

Ryan Mullen has been excellent for us this year and we missed him badly when he was injured and I'm very pleased he is signed for next season.

Looking at the video of the game from yesterday I struggle to understand why he didn't save the Dunfermline goal. It looks like a routine catch which he just completely misjudged.

Ryan lost a family member during the week unfortunately so maybe he's just had a mental lapse with his head not fully in the game.

Agree he's been superb for us otherwise. I'd be surprised if he didn't end up at a higher level.

1 minute ago, #Gary said:

Ryan lost a family member during the week unfortunately so maybe he's just had a mental lapse with his head not fully in the game.

Agree he's been superb for us otherwise. I'd be surprised if he didn't end up at a higher level.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully the guy’s alright and it’s not affected him too much. Must have been awful for him and there’s no way he’ll have been fully focused on the game. I’m sure your club, his teammates and manager will be supporting him through this, but it doesn’t really make it any easier.

Morton play a physical way and last game they bullied all over the park, but not yesterday. 

Fantastic result yesterday given where we were few weeks ago.

Rovers in the play offs.

6 minutes ago, Nat Weederburn said:

From the highlights, it's definitely a foul on Mehmet in the build up to the penalty, Oakley just jumps straight into him. Still looks like a very soft penalty decision on second viewing. 

Have to agree with that poor decisions from the referee.

Thankfully didn't cost us Mehmet gets down quickly and the penalty isn't quite in the corner. Being greedy could have been clinical at the other end after Holmes wins the header with the keeper feel he should be doing better.