Open Goal Podcast

On 22/03/2024 at 09:50, CraigFowler said:

Well seeing as it's in the Championship section, let me do some rare plugging on this forum (AVFTT section wasn't my doing).

Shaughan and Fraser Clarke chatted extensively about Dunfermline and Dundee United on our latest free-to-air show: 

This is also available to watch on YouTube (with a shocking lack of beards): 

And we've got a couple of Championship related Patreon episodes this week.

Farming for hope in the Highland capital: a discussion on the novelty of Duncan Ferguson wearing off in Inverness and the club's complicated off-field issues: https://www.patreon.com/posts/farming-for-hope-100670641

Are Dunfermline Athletic looking up or down?: a chat about one of the most hard to place clubs in a league that's famously full of teams who frequently go from promotion contenders one week to relegation battlers the next: https://www.patreon.com/posts/are-dunfermline-100825577

Where’s the podcast about this thread though? I’m wanting detailed analysis and everyone split into wrestling factions, along with discussing relevant Simpson memes for posts. You also need to start slagging off the working class more, to prove yourselves as real middle-class, university graduate hipsters.

This thread has been horrific.

Arabs obsession with wrestling loving beard toting toffs only matched in its cringeworthyness by the rest of the site taking up arms against anyone who likes Open Goal and their, pint swilling, Charlie sniffing, tattooed arms in their financed German cars.

In the end both sides coming across as utter fuds. Also left me confused as I’m a beard wearing Simpsons fan who hates wrestling, have no tattooos but do have a BMW (electric) and a nice salary - but I never went to uni… I don’t know what the f**k I should be listening to! 

I watch open goal interviews - I played football with Si as a kid and still chat to him so I got in early when it was really just Si Ferry meets.. The interviews - in my opinion - are generally quite entertaining and often insightful although they are definitely getting dragged into actively trying to repeat lines of questions/people in common that have been popular (Tommy Gravesen et al).  I have tried listening to the podcast in the car, but my honest opinion is 50% of the time it’s ok, 50% of the time it’s almost incoherent. I find every episode there are bits I enjoy and bits I could do without. 

I’ve only ever watched AVFTT on TV a few times (I didn’t even know it was a podcast) and I will say that I did despise it. It’s everything about Scottish Football that makes us look tin pot - awful production, terrible pre scripted dad jokes and the people on it are wooden and almost like reading lines badly. It’s Gimmicky and doesn’t work imo. Since reading this thread however I decided to try the podcasts and I do find them infinitely more palatable. So to that end it seems likely I’ll continue to listen to both fairly regularly as at the end of the day Scottish football content is thin on the ground and I love Scottish football.

I guess I’d say my opinion is the production of Open Goal - and its manipulation of social media and branding - is far superior to AVFTT, even if the content is at times less mature. Tbh it’s more likely just to be as a result of “star power” with active and recent Pro footballers more heavily involved, but selling out the Hydro is not to be sniffed at and Si has done a fantastic job building a 2nd career for himself. It’s also inherently true that anything that focusses more on popular things will be more popular - and theres more OF content on open goal than AVFTT for sure - although I don’t think it’s at saturation point and completely unappealing to non OF fans. 

I like some of the Open Goal stuff, and hate other parts of it. I like the insights into what being a professional footballer in Scotland is like. I enjoy the interviews and and the clear love they have for the Scottish game.

What I don't like is how so much of the conversation seems to come back to talking about their meat and 2. It is fairly bizarre at times. I would also like a wee bit less old-firm obsession.

29 minutes ago, chris1883 said:

I like some of the Open Goal stuff, and hate other parts of it. I like the insights into what being a professional footballer in Scotland is like. I enjoy the interviews and and the clear love they have for the Scottish game.

What I don't like is how so much of the conversation seems to come back to talking about their meat and 2. It is fairly bizarre at times. I would also like a wee bit less old-firm obsession.

but but there is absolutely no insight in the Open goal pod cast. Its for " cretins "

I've said it from the start, there is a bizarre snobbery going on with Si, Slaney and Kyle because they dont speak as eloquently as some other podcasters and maybe their humour isnt for the middleclass. They were hairy ass footballers ffs, if you think 90% of footballer arnt like that in Scotland today your kidding yourself on.

Hater going to Hate i guess

This thread has been rough going like. 

Separating podcasts by class and stereotype...not everyone that watches open goal is a cretin and not everyone that watches other podcasts like AVFTT is a bearded wrestling fanatic. 

Categorising like that says more about yourself than anyone else. 

Paul Slane does not have a hairy ass, if I recall the widely circulated video of him having sexual intercourse with a prostitute correctly.  

Never listened to a AVFTT but listen to OG every week.  Once you get past the genuinely awful 'fart' patter i do think they give a good insight to being a pro footballer. It is definitely centred on the Old Firm which can be annoying but that doesn't put me off. I actually think Halliday is excellent and knows his stuff.  Dalziel has been a great addition to the Thursday show 😃

56 minutes ago, Arab_R_us said:

but but there is absolutely no insight in the Open goal pod cast. Its for " cretins "

I've said it from the start, there is a bizarre snobbery going on with Si, Slaney and Kyle because they dont speak as eloquently as some other podcasters and maybe their humour isnt for the middleclass. They were hairy ass footballers ffs, if you think 90% of footballer arnt like that in Scotland today your kidding yourself on.

Hater going to Hate i guess

Footballers generally tend to have less body hair for some weird reason.  Maybe they're actually waxed ass footballers?

I don't listen to either podcast, and I'm interested in neither wrestling nor in What It's Like To Be A Real Footballer since I am neither a footballer nor twelve years old.

I do remember however that Si Ferry scored an own goal in his last game for Peterhead in a game against us the season before last, which was greeted by a cry of "Stick that on your podcast, Ferry ya dobber" by some wag in the stand. 

7 minutes ago, A Diamond For Me said:

I do remember however that Si Ferry scored an own goal in his last game for Peterhead in a game against us the season before last, which was greeted by a cry of "Stick that on your podcast, Ferry ya dobber" by some wag in the stand. 

Tremendous. 

One of the main things I've taken from this thread is that I wont bother listening to the OG podcast.  My interest in football is in the game itself.  I don't actually want any insight into the lives of the players (or any celebrities really).  

Also, twats coming up with their own new definition of 'woke', just so they can keep using it as an insult, doesn't actually change the original definition of the word.

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Paul Slane does not have a hairy ass, if I recall the widely circulated video of him having sexual intercourse with a prostitute correctly.  

Pishing @ this.

1 hour ago, AllanJM said:

One of the main things I've taken from this thread is that I wont bother listening to the OG podcast.  My interest in football is in the game itself.  I don't actually want any insight into the lives of the players (or any celebrities really).  

Also, twats coming up with their own new definition of 'woke', just so they can keep using it as an insult, doesn't actually change the original definition of the word.

That such a woke thing to say you wokey woker Allan

3 hours ago, A Diamond For Me said:

I don't listen to either podcast, and I'm interested in neither wrestling nor in What It's Like To Be A Real Footballer since I am neither a footballer nor twelve years old.

I did see Open Goal Broomhill get pumped 4-0 by Tranent last season. I did wonder if they would bring it up on their podcast. Not enough to actually listen to the podcast, but never mind.

5 minutes ago, Burattino Di Calzini said:

I did see Open Goal Broomhill get pumped 4-0 by Tranent last season. I did wonder if they would bring it up on their podcast. Not enough to actually listen to the podcast, but never mind.

They might have spotted you but I'd say unless you let them know they probably didn't know you were at the game.